none
musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com? RRS feed

• Question

• Why do our Windows 10 Enterprise PCs keep trying to connect to musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com?

I am not able to find any documentation for this, much less how to turn it off.

Any ideas?

Caleb

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi calebr,

That is a Microsoft address.

According to the address, it seems that it is related to the XBOX application. Please check whether the "XBOX" application is running in the task manager.
    We could try to run the following command line to uninstall the XBOX related app.
    For current user:
    Get-appxpackage -allusers *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
    Get-appxpackage -allusers *XboxOneSmartGlass* | Remove-AppxPackage
    For new user:
    Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like "*xboxapp*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like "*XboxOneSmartGlass*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

Domain > musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com

https://www.threatcrowd.org/domain.php?domain=musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Thank you for the response. I expected that this may be an XBOX app, but it also references a media search program. Our firewall classifies it under Games, but is it a game, or a media app?

I had already tried stopping the xbox services and it made no difference, so is it a different program that uses the MS XBOX site?  I have not been able to find any information about just what is generating these connections.

Additional documentation or information would be very helpful.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi calebr,

I didn't find any official document related to this issue. Have you tried the command line as I posted before to uninstall the XBOX app?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Yes, stopping or removing the service stops the connections, but I would still like to know what this is and what application is trying to use it. Is it a media app, or a game? What else will stop working if this service is disabled?

Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:57 PM
  • Hi calebr,

They are two apps related to XBOX game. It shouldn`t affect others.

Best regards

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:03 AM
  • What specific apps or games are connecting to musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com?
    Friday, November 4, 2016 6:03 PM
  • Hi calebr,

The XBOX apps in my initial reply.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 9:18 AM
  • I know this post is older, but Windows Media Player 12 also uses this URL.  I cannot seem to find where it's configured (registry, GP, config file, nothing) and can find no way to change it.  It is completely undocumented.

I have 2 Win10 PCs and only 1 is using this URL, which makes no sense unless there is some regional URL difference between Windows installs that forces WMP 12 to use different URLs.

I will say this:  The URL doesn't work in WMP 12, which is really upsetting that it can't be changed.  This tells me it's likely hardcoded in the app executable somewhere.

Friday, May 4, 2018 4:20 PM
  • It is apparently used by windows media player to update music file info, tracklists, etc. 
    I have windows 10, and it's not working for me to do that. "<g class="gr_ gr_114 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="114" id="114">Webpage</g> not found" when <g class="gr_ gr_167 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="167" id="167">i</g> try to update info for a CD <g class="gr_ gr_310 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="310" id="310">i</g> ripped onto the computer. Aggravating <g class="gr_ gr_447 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="447" id="447">to</g> say the least, especially when no info shows up at all, or it's missing in tracklists, for example.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:34 PM
  • That didn't work at all. Didn't recognize <g class="gr_ gr_26 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="26" id="26">command</g>.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:36 PM
  • I first came across this url yesterday when I found that trying to Find Album Info for a CD in WMP 12 failed.  This seems to have started after I installed Windows 10 Feature 1803.  Prior to that WMP 12 used something called FAI to obtain track info (successfully).  Not sure what Microsoft have done to this WMP 12 link as a result of Feature 1803.  

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:54 PM
  • JSD53UK (Partner)?  That's news to me.  I'm just a poor suffering Microsoft customer.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:56 PM
  • I agree with JSD53UK(Partner)... My search led me to this page because I had tried to load a CD into Windows Media Player and though it initially displayed the track titles and other author details, it soon cleared and just listed Track 1, Track 2, etc.  When I right-clicked on the CD icon on the left menu, both Find /Update album info failed, listing musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com and "The webpage cannot be found".  I recently updated to Windows 10 Version 1803.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:50 PM
  • So yes, it seems that Feature Update 1803 has broken this capability.  One PC was still on 1709 and that's why it worked, using fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com.  The new URL must be baked in to 1803 and cannot be changed.  Uninstalling any XBOX apps doesn't fix it either.
    Friday, May 11, 2018 9:02 AM
  • This is exactly my experience too.  :-(  Installed Windows 10 feature update 1803 on 4 machines in the last 2-3 days and had a few weirdnesses along the way, including this latest fail where, exactly as you say, the Find album info feature in Windows Media Player is not working and comes up with a failed attempt to access musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com.  That makes about 5 things which were working fine before 1803 which I have either had to fix manually or in this case where I am totally stuck.  Hopefully this is an oversight or typo which will be fixed in a subsequent patch.  A response or acknowledgment from MS on this one would be appreciated.
    Friday, May 11, 2018 11:01 PM
  • I pulled out an older laptop that I had periodically been upgrading (originally Win 7) and is currently at Windows Version 10.0.16299, sometime before the latest 1803.  WMP in the older version works normally for getting Find/Update album info.
    Monday, May 21, 2018 3:09 AM
  • new URL must be baked in to 1803 and cannot be changed.
    Have you tried experimenting with the Customize button on first use?  Looks like there are quite a few Privacy options that could be exploited that might affect what requests would be made by WMP.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:49 AM
  • WMP is working normal again, the album and tracks display as they did in the past.  Selecting "Update album info" now works (or at least does not generate an error message) but not "Find album info" which still fails with musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com message "The webpage cannot be found".  I'm not sure how this issue introduced with Version 1803 was fixed, I can't identify any updates that would have fixed this.

• Proposed as answer by MarkA777 Saturday, June 2, 2018 10:51 PM
    Saturday, June 2, 2018 10:51 PM
  • WMP is working normal again, the album and tracks display as they did in the past.  Selecting "Update album info" now works (or at least does not generate an error message) but not "Find album info" which still fails with musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com message "The webpage cannot be found".  I'm not sure how this issue introduced with Version 1803 was fixed, I can't identify any updates that would have fixed this.

@MarkA777: in my case: the same. And the main problem for me is still that I can't use "Find Album Info", which is exactly what I want. Some self-assembled CD's won't be recognized by WMP, and there is this option "edit the data manually". To get there you need the screen that appears after "Find Album Info". Editing manually in the main screen leads to problems because WMP needs several seconds (up to 30) for every changed item. @Microsoft: I would like a solution: how to change the adress musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com...
    Friday, June 15, 2018 8:04 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem: since a few days my Windows Media Player (version 10) refers to the address 'musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com' when I try either 'Find Album Info' or 'Update Album Info'. This makes WMP useless. Microsoft should fix this problem.

Sunday, June 17, 2018 8:59 PM
  • I noticed that though the lookup (update info) works again, the Publisher field (when I look at Windows Explorer's Properties|Details) is no longer populated.  But I don't care about that one anyway.

• Edited by MarkA777 Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:35 PM
  • This has not been fixed since 2016 when I searched Technet for the erroneous URL: http://musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com/ (Not found) 
    Which should be http://fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com/ (403 Forbidden) ?
    or 
    redir.metaservices.microsoft.com (File not found.") ?

1. Image
      0 Votes

This is still a problem
      Windows10 media player can find the track info but when you right click on the album and select "Find Album Info" a web page pointing to musicmatch-ssl.xboxlive.com opens ...

Proposed |2 Replies|115 Views|Created byStorch72 - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:35 AM|Last reply byTony_Tao - Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:04 AM

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:42 PM
  • Not quite normal (Find Album Info still shows http error 400)

But at least Update Album Info is a workaround, though it doesn't offer a choice of alternative search results like Find Album Info used to. I wonder how long that will last before it too gets broken

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 7:33 PM
  • Windows Media Player uses this site to find album info for your music library's files.
    Saturday, June 30, 2018 12:26 AM
  • Here is the fix:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-media-player-with-wrong-find-album-info/7bbb8f87-8ff6-4eb2-81d0-34da3229d318

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:16 AM
  • Except it's sadly not a full fix.  I have just played about with the solution above whilst ripping two recently released albums.  With the quoted string "pmpMusicMatch" in place, the information for both was found when right-clicking on the album and selecting "Update Album Info".  Obviously, when you click "Find Album Info", you get a failure on the xbox site

Unfortunately, with "pmpMusicMatch" string removed, the "Find Album Info" now takes you to "fai.music...." but there's no album info in there for these new albums.  Equally "Update Album Info" doesn't work

Ho hum- time to find a new 3rd party program to rip CDs - one with access to a decent metadata provider

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:03 PM
  • I'ts Windows Media Player looking for album info.
    • Proposed as answer by Mason Maeder Tuesday, May 7, 2019 3:28 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 3:28 AM