none
Moving toolbars OFF of the new taskbar? RRS feed

• Question

• One feature that I use on ***EVERY*** PC is the ability to create custom toolbars and then drag them off of the taskbar.

I always have toolbars located on the left side of the screen for the programs I use often. It works WONDERFULLY!

Now, in Windows 7, I can no longer drag the toolbars off of the taskbar.

Can this be fixed? Are there alternatives?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:56 PM

All replies

• Which toolbar have you relocated in the other system? Can you give us a screenshot of it?

Please submit the screenshot in the SkyDrive of your Live Space, and give us the link to directly access it.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Personally, I always create a "My Computer" toolbar on the top of the desktop, with autohide and always-on-top enabled, so I can have access to all my drives easily.
    I've seen others move directories full of shortcuts, or even the quicklaunch toolbar, to some side of the desktop.
    Arthur, you don't need any screenshot! Just get any XP or Vista computer, and drag the "My Computer" icon from the desktop to some edge (upper, left, right). You'll see it creates a toolbar attached to that side of the desktop. This cannot be done on Win7.
    WE WANT IT BACK!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:59 PM
  • He guys, I'm sorry to say this has been addressed at length in this forum.  The ability you're looking for is no longer available in the OS.  In fact, it was 'deprecated' in Windows XP (not supposed to be used).  That means this feature has been slated for removal since 2001.

Since there wasn't a backlash in the past 9 years, Microsoft finally finished removing it and it won't be back.

But search the web for a tiny program called RocketDock -- it's free and can do what you want.
    • Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Calab Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Calab Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, March 19, 2010 9:47 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Depreciated? WHERE does XP tell users that the feature is depreciated? I sure would have let Microsoft know back then that this was a useful feature!

There hasn't been a backlash in 9 years because it *WAS* a feature. There was nothing to complain about.

BTW, Rocketdock is *NOT* a solution. Doesn't work on 64bit OS's and it doesn't have frequent or proper updates. Heck, the changelog doesn't even have dates in it.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Besides, why would a killer feature get deprecated? No, really... why? Because some narrow-minded paper-pusher in Redmond decided they want nothing to steal the thunder from their precious new "superbar"? That's ridiculous!

I can even imagine how a toolbar would look, using the new taskbar's scheme, and I'm almost desperate that it doesn't work!

Incidentally, I've scoured the registry of all recent Windows (XP, Vista, 7) for an indication of how it's being done, but I can't seem to figure it out...
    I'm still hoping it'll be an issue of adding some stupid keyword somewhere in the registry, like "AllowDetachedToolbars = 1" or something.
    [crosses fingers]
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:13 PM
  •  and I'm almost desperate that it doesn't work!
    This WAS a very nice feature .. Especially if you have multiple monitors.
    Being able to ONLY place a new task bar in the crowded task bar just doesn't make any sense.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:36 PM
  • I will also miss it dearly.  I work as a UX designer and developer, so I understand the push to simplify.  The dock style toolbar is great for home use - for people that regularly work with dozens of windows open and still want to get to certain programs regularly, a single taskbar on one side of the screen doesn't cut it.  Very sad.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:27 PM
  • An excellent feature. It was eliminated so aero snap can maximize windows when the curser touches the edge of the screen.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:31 PM

• Aside from the pinned items on left hand side of toolbar, I have made a MyToolbar on the right where I put nearly everything else that I want to start without going through Start/Control/Network menu migration.

For the remainder, like System Information, Paint, Games, that are (Store and diplay recently opened.."Setting") pinned to the vertical Start Menu on use; I leave them there, removing items I don't want there otherwise.

A suggestion I would add to this is that while "Use small icons" is avaiable to reduce toolbar width, it is not for the items mentioned above, so because of their 3/4" size on this display, limits total to ~12.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:07 PM
  • If you squeeze a toolbar such as Desktop to minimum size, it just shows the label and ">>".

Clicking the >> pops up a good old flyout menu, where folders such as Libraries show additional flyouts, instead of just opening the folder.

I just added a "My Computer" toolbar.  When "squeezed" the drives in it have flyouts too.  This works a lot better than the "My Computer" link in the Start Menu.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:53 AM
  • I was using a folder toolbar on the desktop with frequently used shortcuts, power options and so on. Since there is no option to do this for 7 as a workaround I attempted to make a shortcut to that folder and have it open to a small size off to the left hand side of the desktop but unfortunately it takes on the size and position of the last window opened.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:15 AM
  • I was using a folder toolbar on the desktop with frequently used shortcuts, power options and so on. Since there is no option to do this for 7 as a workaround I attempted to make a shortcut to that folder and have it open to a small size off to the left hand side of the desktop but unfortunately it takes on the size and position of the last window opened.

Have you tried this using a right click on the Taskbar, and selecting Toolbars\New Toolbar.

This works for most of the folders I have tried (it didn't wok for History).  You can shove it all the way to the right or left end of the Taskbar.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Yes this works, however you may prefer the larger icons in a docked and positioned type of toolbar placed convenently on the desktop. I myself am not a diehard fan of the flyout type of menu. 

Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:49 AM
  • I was Really disappointed to see that we could no longer dock toolbars to the sides of the desktop.

I am now using True Launch Bar on win7 64
    Works perfect, matches the style of the taskbar.
    Here is a screenshot with the toolbar open:
    http://random667.deviantart.com/art/Win7-Desktop-135237507
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:33 AM
  • If you squeeze a toolbar such as Desktop to minimum size, it just shows the label and ">>".

Clicking the >> pops up a good old flyout menu, where folders such as Libraries show additional flyouts, instead of just opening the folder.

I just added a "My Computer" toolbar.  When "squeezed" the drives in it have flyouts too.  This works a lot better than the "My Computer" link in the Start Menu.
    Try to Lock taskbar after you do that... The dotted border disappears, but the width of toolbar is not reduced so a thin part of the icons becomes visible. Not very pleasing to the eye.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:31 PM

The flyouts aren't pretty. And you can't pull on them to open an explorer window. E.g. grabing the flyout button >> and using it as a direct link to the toolbar as a folder. You have to click it twice to get that option :(

I'd half expect them to be glassed like the taskbar. In which can I'd tool bar the majority of my media paths :) forget explorer even exists.

exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:44 PM

Try to Lock taskbar after you do that... The dotted border disappears, but the width of toolbar is not reduced so a thin part of the icons becomes visible. Not very pleasing to the eye.

Not only does it not look very nice but it's also annoying to accidentally misclick on the sliver of icon showing rather than the >>. I miss the way the toolbars could be dragged off the taskbar quite a great deal. I don't keep any shortcuts on the desktop so I would drag a toolbar with links to folders/files I work with regularly to the desktop and it would give me the perfect little one-click access list to everything I needed. Could this somehow be brought back in Windows 8 even if it's in a slightly altered form?

Or, does anyone know of something that will turn the desktop into a list (I want the word length that it displays long or customizable) and then a way to make only the desktop single-click to open. I've fiddled with the explorer option to make everything single-click to open but it became annoying due to the mouse hover select.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Let me add my voice to the growing chorus.

PLEASE GIVE ME MY TASK BAR BACK!

Why on earth would you remove features?  Thats like taking the trunk off your car, because no one complained about having one.

blankmonkey
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:31 PM
  • First of all, most people had no idea it was "deprecated" or whatever... if something keeps working, it's there. Do you honestly believe anyone would search the endless Microsoft Windows literature, just in case something got condemned? Now that they did remove it, we're fighting back. That was an absolutely stupid move.

Also, please stop ringing the "RocketDock" bell... First of all, you're suggesting we use a third-party application, for something that the operating system could do on its own. WHERE'S THE LOGIC IN THAT? Making the new operating system LESS intuitive? WAY TO GO, Microsoft... you really fulfil your name with each passing day. Micro...
    And to wrap this "somethingDock" delirium up, once and for all, show me how I can have the contents of "My Computer" using "RocketDock", "ObjectDock" or any other dock out there. And no, I don't mean shortcuts of the drives, I want the whole shebang. Upon connection of a USB stick, new icon appears, it has to appear in the dock as well. Upon removal of said USB stick (or any removable drive, for that matter), icon has to disappear from dock. Is there any "xxxDock" that can do that?
    Hm... didn't think so...

Now, stop being so damn stuck, Microsoft programmers, and bring back the bloody detachable toolbars. It's simple. Put it the f**k back. Instead of one crowded and messy "superbar" (my a$$), where shortcuts and running programmes are all thrown together and impossible to distinguish, promote the ability to dock toolbars on screen edges! Each computer's got (at least) four of those goddamned screen edges. Why use only one?

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hear Hear!, I agree.  Give us back the toolbars.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Add me to the list!  Detachable toolbar is one of the best features of the XP interface.  It was enough to not upgrade to Vista or 7.
    M4R
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 1:06 PM
  • It was enough to not upgrade to Vista or 7.
    This feature is available in Vista :P If you like Aero and the stability of Windws 7, simply install Vista to have the features (no auto arrange, old startmenu, moving toolbars and many more) back.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:15 PM
  • This feature is available in Vista :P If you like Aero and the stability of Windws 7, simply install Vista to have the features (no auto arrange, old startmenu, moving toolbars and many more) back.

This feature is in XP :| install this you get stability, speed, save disk space use less memory and CPU, and run software that just doesn't run on 7 but will on XP (as long as you don't install the optional hardware updates - beware). Because of it's lousy performance, that overweight pig of a system even worse than 7, I simply cannot in good

Conscience
    recommend Vista SP2 or even 7 to friends or acquaintances, just my worst enemies.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I just have to add my vote here. Every single change in user interface since XP was a horrible mistake. When I got my new notebook with Win7 preinstalled, I was totally disappointed by the non customizable, stupidly themed (including classic, which no longer is THE classic theme) user interface. Explorer’s feature set is nearly what you’d expect from a student made freeware. I thought I’d get used to it, but after almost a year of frustration I ended up by dumping it and getting another XP license off eBay. Good thing the manufacturer still offered XP hardware drivers. My demand: bring the Win 2000/Classic XP user interface back, you can offer all this useless Aero rubbish, including the crippled Explorer as a downloadable feature for those who want it. I’ve got work to do on my computer.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Something about the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and building a by-pass, come to mind.
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:03 PM
  • He guys, I'm sorry to say this has been addressed at length in this forum.  The ability you're looking for is no longer available in the OS.  In fact, it was 'deprecated' in Windows XP (not supposed to be used).  That means this feature has been slated for removal since 2001.

Since there wasn't a backlash in the past 9 years, Microsoft finally finished removing it and it won't be back.

But search the web for a tiny program called RocketDock -- it's free and can do what you want.
    It was there and you removed it, along with other useful XP functionality. This is dissapointing, inconsiderate and unacceptable. Stronger words come to mind, too. :(
    • Edited by ageor Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:52 AM typo
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Depreciated? WHERE does XP tell users that the feature is depreciated? I sure would have let Microsoft know back then that this was a useful feature!

There hasn't been a backlash in 9 years because it *WAS* a feature. There was nothing to complain about.

BTW, Rocketdock is *NOT* a solution. Doesn't work on 64bit OS's and it doesn't have frequent or proper updates. Heck, the changelog doesn't even have dates in it.

+1
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:49 AM
  • For what it's worth:

http://punklabs.com/

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:17 AM
  • For what it's worth:

http://punklabs.com/

Please, Defcon-1... read above your post...

Also, please stop ringing the "RocketDock" bell... First of all, you're suggesting we use a third-party application, for something that the operating system could do on its own. WHERE'S THE LOGIC IN THAT? Making the new operating system LESS intuitive? WAY TO GO, Microsoft... you really fulfil your name with each passing day. Micro...
    And to wrap this "somethingDock" delirium up, once and for all, show me how I can have the contents of "My Computer" using "RocketDock", "ObjectDock" or any other dock out there. And no, I don't mean shortcuts of the drives, I want the whole shebang. Upon connection of a USB stick, new icon appears, it has to appear in the dock as well. Upon removal of said USB stick (or any removable drive, for that matter), icon has to disappear from dock. Is there any "xxxDock" that can do that?
    Hm... didn't think so...

I've had it with all those something-docks! It was there all along!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Is it possible for someone to create a third party app to achieve exactly what the toolbar dragging did? Same exact style and everything. I noticed other programs can dock to the right side of my screen without affecting aero snap so why would the toolbar dragging be any different?
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Because Microsoft GUI designers are retards. Like the ones that designed the user interface of the new (windows) explorer and that stupid "breadcrumb" paradigm to navigate. Or the ones (maybe the same people) that decided to "deprecate" "UP" in favour of "BACK"! Or the ones that demolished the "search" feature and now you have to perform a voodoo ceremony with 7 virgins and a rooster, in order to do a search for, say, all .XYZ files containing the string "ABCD".

All in all, the people who design the GUI for apes and not people that actually want to do WORK on their computers.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:57 PM
  • What an awful awful idea.  The thing I loved most about 2000/XP was the undockable toolbars.  I have been using a system with 0 desktop icons and three toolbars for years.  I am literally one click from anything important to me.  Now on Windows 7 I have to work harder, not smarter.  ____ another complaint (and maybe Vista was already like this I don't know as I never installed that) why is Run not the first position from an up-arrow navigation on the start menu, I want to select Windows key, hit up arrow enter, and have my run prompt waiting.

This OS fails. 

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:40 PM
  •  Now on Windows 7 I have to work harder, not smarter.  ____ another complaint (and maybe Vista was already like this I don't know as I never installed that)

No, under Vista it works fine ;) So install Vista if you like that feature

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:08 PM
  • I remenber it was a great feature but there were times I wished I could disable it becouse it would create a toolbar at an inopportune moment when my only objective was to place an object on the desktop. Recently I have bean making use of snap.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Bring back UP!  Seriously SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY. Its easier to find instinctively than the right spot on the address bar - always in the same place relative to the window. It would take what, one man-hour?

If detachable toolbars means a choice between auto-dock and them, well, add a freaking radio button. Previous docking software (3rd party) for XP didn't clash with toolbars.

A few man hours, and optional KB, and a large group of customers is happy, am I right?

Full IP in the link, because, Windows 7 was MY idea XD .

The 'Sliver of an Icon' issue when toolbars are fully shrunk is a simple glitch which must be flicked.

Microsoft may consider this an obsolete relic from the past, but tell me, what are your plans to allow us to take advantage of multiple monitors in terms of 1 click icons and expandable menu's?

Heck, what about just allowing 2 start menu toolbars?

Friday, July 23, 2010 7:51 PM
  •  Now on Windows 7 I have to work harder, not smarter.  ____ another complaint (and maybe Vista was already like this I don't know as I never installed that)

No, under Vista it works fine ;) So install Vista if you like that feature

I can't think of the word. Are you really that _dense _obstinate _obnoxious _clueless? Or are you just another engineer without any DNA that links to USABILITY in human beings? Such smartass remarks like that demonstrate either stupidity or arrogance. I suspect it is not stupidity. In your world, it is perfectly reasonable to take 10 giant steps backwards in life to have feature X, if feature is what you are "whining" about. Because that is surely how you see it. YOU don't care about the feature. It's not important to you, Mr. "this will suffice", "this is perfectly adequate" "there is no need for detachable toolbar" typical low-grade software engineer. That's the arrogant part.

If you understood human beings, you would have a clue that there are all sorts of hard to verify and hard to scientifically measure productivity gains that come from making people happy in the usage of the tools they use most often... vs punishing them and taking things away... Because people like you have "thought it through for them" and have concluded they are not necessary.

Well, in my world, you are not necessary, and you would be high on my deprecation list, and hopefully would be no one's feature anywhere. No one needs smartasses. No one, I assure you. So go stroke your ego in the toilet or in the mirror where you are best appreciate for all your exquisite genius.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:25 PM
  • You don't have to be an expert to see what's going on here. 7 is tactic with a major kernel flaw wasting resources for it's new thumbnail system making things slow so that businesses avoid it like the plague. They've sacrificed the entire system for eye candy. The best way to get back what Microsoft stole from you is going back to XP so I will take Ziegler's advise.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Not only can you NOT move them off the taskbar, but you cannot dock and hide them on the edges of your desktop screen.  Docking and hiding toolbars was an excellent way to organize and access related groups of files or folders.  This very simple feature should be simplified and restored.
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:14 AM
  • I'm gonna echo everyone else's sentiments. This was a horrible, short-sighted move. With the removal of the Classic Start menu option (and it's vastly superior pop-out menu system), to what can best be described as the neuterization of Windows Explorer, to the elimination of dockable toolbars, Windows navigation has taken giant leaps backwards in terms of speed and efficiency.

If I want giant, colorful, Fisher-Price buttons and a complete lack of speed and customization in my GUI experience, then I'll buy a Mac (or Office 2007).

WATYF

Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Thanks for sharing here WATYF and I'm glad your considering the move to MAC or even XP. It is people like you who candidly voice their opinion and say to everyone conmcerned that this type of marketing will not be tolerated by not compromising and sticking to what really works. Thanks again.
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Sorry to up such a old post, but since this is the way I've dicovered this excellent feature was removed (!), I think this can be useful to other users.

I am quite uncomfortable with other third part toolbars, so I've decided to create a toolbar that mimics the old toolbar style and behaviour. The application is called "OldBar" (guess why...), it's free and can be found here. Feedbacks are welcome!

• Edited by Napangi Friday, October 28, 2011 11:02 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 10:38 PM
  • It's ironic that you'd post that because a little while back after being fed-up that Windows 7 removed such a useful feature, I decided to write my own as well. It's not nearly as customizable as yours, but it works for me. :o)

http://www.musicalnerdery.com/net-programming/custom-docking-toolbar-for-windows-7-because-you-know-microsoft-removed-them.html

WATYF

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:34 PM
  • I think Microsoft is starting to act like Apple , forcing you to do things their way.... What happened to the good old Windows 2000 days...sigh!
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:03 AM
  • I think Microsoft is starting to act like Apple , forcing you to do things teir way.... What happened to the good old Windows 2000 days...sigh!
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Hello Calab,

Fully agree, I LOVED that!  But this good time is now over.

The answers to your questions are:

- No, this can't be fixed, if you search the Windows 7 Help for "What happened to the Quick Launch toolbar?", you will see that "it isn't included in this version anymore".

- Yes, there are alternatives.  Either install external tools (as already mentioned), or you can now pin programs.  This is the reason why the Quick Launch toolbar was removed.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by BlankMonkey Friday, April 20, 2012 4:55 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Raymond Chen of the shell team is giving the liar's excuse here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2012/09/12/10348441.aspx saying it was ROGUE feature and that "nobody used it". Unbelievable.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Just realizing this can't be done now (just installed Win7).  What a drag (no pun intended) this has been removed.  I love this feature and used it frequently.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:43 PM
  • I also remembered this feature and was surprised when Windows 7 didn't allow me to do that.

Another feature that was killed is the ability to control click multiple applications in the task bar in order to close them all together.

Basically Microsoft is continuing the tradition of pissing on the expert users who actually want to work instead of enjoying the colorfulness of the OS.

Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:58 AM
  • Okay, now some of you won't like this but most of you will---found a great program that nearly perfectly performs the old toolbar; it's called OldBar, and it can be found by a Google search or at: http://www.ondanera.net/oldbar.aspx

It's free, and IMHO it's a perfect solution for those who loved the old feature. I've installed it, used it---actually it's for a friend and XP fanatic who could not live without it.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Oops, my bad; Oldbar is already mentioned above in the post (by the creator). I was searching for alternatives, had 10 tabs open and couldn't remember where I got it, just needed to expand on it's virtues.

My apologies for the duplicate post.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:26 PM

Deprecated?  I'm still using XP.  My IT department is just now getting around to Win7.  Did they ask ANY of the users if they would care?  I use my side tool bar ALL the time to keep my desktop from getting cluttered.  It was the only useful feature that Windows had that MAC didn't.  WHY would they get rid of it?

I don't think I will be able to download a program - IT has us all locked out. 

Friday, March 7, 2014 11:25 PM
  • - Yes, there are alternatives.  Either install external tools (as already mentioned), or you can now pin programs.  This is the reason why the Quick Launch toolbar was removed.

Cheers

You always could "pin" programs in the XP Quick Launch bar - or at least shortcuts to them.  Personally, I HATE having my launch icons interspersed with my already open windows.  Have to search for the program.  What a mess!

And, I will miss my side bar - I use it all the time.

not happy

Friday, March 7, 2014 11:53 PM
  • An excellent feature. It was eliminated so aero snap can maximize windows when the curser touches the edge of the screen.
    If thats the reason ,my hate to microsoft just noticeable popped up, removing extremely useful feature that got so much posts about its usefulness and never had any complains ,in favor of scrab that in 40% of cases disabled by users ,for avoiding accident window maximizations ,is **********.
    Monday, June 18, 2018 3:32 PM