none
2011 Windows Live Mail add WLIDSVC.EXE & WLIDSVCM.EXE which steal 7,500K from Memory

Question

• Newly downloaded 2011 Windows Live Mail requires new Service "Windows Live ID Sign In Assistant" to be Manual, not disabled or mail will not start. My Live Mail is with ISP, not Hotmail/Microsoft. Visible in Task Manager are additional WLIDSVC.EXE & WLIDSVCM.EXE which steal 7,500K from Memory.

If I want hotmail I log into it with my Windows Live ID using a web browser, which does not need the new service mentioned above.

Already the browser has enough accelerators, plugins for sign in. These I disable because I key user id & pwd all the time; except for ISP mail account in Windows Live Mail which is set in account setup.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:45 AM

Answers

• Windows Live Mail needs to communicate with your mail server in real time in order to receive new mails in time. Therefore it must cause some memory. If you do not use it but open web mail instead, IE will also cause more memory for this part. Actually there are not much differences.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:49 AM
  • You care about 7MB of RAM?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:46 AM

All replies

• You care about 7MB of RAM?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Windows Live Mail needs to communicate with your mail server in real time in order to receive new mails in time. Therefore it must cause some memory. If you do not use it but open web mail instead, IE will also cause more memory for this part. Actually there are not much differences.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:49 AM
  • I might care.  If you have 100 apps, each consuming 10MB for a one-shot or unused service, that'd consume an entire 1 GB.

Does anybody know if an unused or inactive service gets paged to disk?  Or, does it always stay resident and waste RAM?

Why you want to run so much applications? Just keep the programs which are needed. Turn off others. Otherwise, even 100GB memory could not meed your requirement.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:52 AM
  • I might care.  If you have 100 apps, each consuming 10MB for a one-shot or unused service, that'd consume an entire 1 GB.

Does anybody know if an unused or inactive service gets paged to disk?  Or, does it always stay resident and waste RAM?

Why you want to run so much applications? Just keep the programs which are needed. Turn off others. Otherwise, even 100GB memory could not meed your requirement.

That's exactly his point : keep the programs (and services) which are needed. Why always more useless services ? Was it something wrong with Win Live Mail before, apart it's limited interface ? Couldn't we check our mails before ? 

[quote]

"Windows Live Mail needs to communicate with your mail server in real time in order to receive new mails in time"

[/quote]

Is this a joke ?

Since when does e-mail require a real-time service running all the time... It's ridiculous and pathetic. I'm uninstalling WLM 2011, before it's even 2011, lol.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:08 PM
  • You're totally right. I wonder why this has to be implemented as a service. If Mail needs its code, it could run it when it is started, and stop it when it is closed. Why it should run all the time? And what if any stupid application installs its own useless service (there are already too many that do without any good reason). You may not run 100 apps, but if you have 50 installed and each install its service and each takes 10MB you have half a gigbyte wasted by useless apps, and also the scheduler will give some CPU cycles to them just in case they could perform some task. Then people complain that Windows gets slower and slower as time passes, and a new reinstall will make it faster. One of the reason is the crapware too many application install because of poor design, programming and project management.

I guess I am going to uninstall Windows Live Mail, I have my own mail server and don't use Windows Live ID but for accessing MS sites like this and only when I need them. Time to return to Thunderbird probably, not a great client as well, but maybe it will install less useless code. I just wish I could install Outlook Express again and have a small, fast, usable mail client.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:16 PM
  • +1.

having to run a Windows service just to be able to login with your email client is the dumbest idea I've seen in a while. I keep my system lean, no unnecessary @#$% (especially services), and this new software ("Essentials", MS calls it, ha ha ha :-)) is out of here!!! :-). there is plenty of good email clients to choose from, MS Mail is not one of them (again).

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:54 PM
  • hi, on the perfectdisk website they have file you can download to start the main app with the services and then when you close pd it stops the services as well. I've modified it to work with wlm.

Just paste this in notepad and save as something like RunWLM.bat, place in your WLM folder and set the sign-in services to manual.

@ECHO Off
    ::Determine the path to the Windows Live Mail program
    Set Reg.Key=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wlmail.exe
    Set Reg.Val=Path
    if exist %WINDIR%\sysnative\reg.exe goto 32_reg
    goto 64_reg

:32_reg
    For /F "Tokens=2*" %%A In ('%windir%\sysnative\reg Query "%Reg.Key%" /v "%Reg.Val%" ^| Find /I "%Reg.Val%"') Do Call Set PathDirectory=%%B
    goto set_path

:64_reg
    For /F "Tokens=2*" %%A In ('Reg Query "%Reg.Key%" /v "%Reg.Val%" ^| Find /I "%Reg.Val%"') Do Call Set PathDirectory=%%B
    goto set_path

:set_path
    Set PerfectDiskPath=%PathDirectory%

::Start the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant Service
    if exist "%PerfectDiskPath%WLIDSVC.EXE" goto PD9_start
    goto run_perfectdisk

:PD9_start
    NET START wlidsvc > NUL
    goto run_perfectdisk

:run_perfectdisk
    "%PerfectDiskPath%wlmail.exe"
    ::Stop the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant Service
    if exist "%PerfectDiskPath%WLIDSVC.EXE" goto PD9_stop

:PD9_stop
    NET STOP wlidsvc > NUL
    goto end_it

:end_it
    ::Delete environment variables we created/used
    SET Reg.Key=
    SET Reg.Val=
    SET PerfectDiskPath=
    SET PathDirectory=

Monday, December 27, 2010 12:38 PM
    This and other responses in the thread from you are some of the wackiest I have ever read! And this coming from a moderator of this forum. Oh Boy. Back on topic. The real problem is Windows Live mail is just bad. Not enough customization options and the whole idea of having 2 services running when I don't have a hotmail account, don't want a hotmail account and the only reason I now have a Live ID is to post this in this thread. I will not be using it with live mail.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:59 PM
  • hi, on the perfectdisk website they have file you can download to start the main app with the services and then when you close pd it stops the services as well. I've modified it to work with wlm.

Just paste this in notepad and save as something like RunWLM.bat, place in your WLM folder and set the sign-in services to manual.

@ECHO Off
    ::Determine the path to the Windows Live Mail program
    Set Reg.Key=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wlmail.exe
    Set Reg.Val=Path
    if exist %WINDIR%\sysnative\reg.exe goto 32_reg
    goto 64_reg

:32_reg
    For /F "Tokens=2*" %%A In ('%windir%\sysnative\reg Query "%Reg.Key%" /v "%Reg.Val%" ^| Find /I "%Reg.Val%"') Do Call Set PathDirectory=%%B
    goto set_path

:64_reg
    For /F "Tokens=2*" %%A In ('Reg Query "%Reg.Key%" /v "%Reg.Val%" ^| Find /I "%Reg.Val%"') Do Call Set PathDirectory=%%B
    goto set_path

:set_path
    Set PerfectDiskPath=%PathDirectory%

::Start the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant Service
    if exist "%PerfectDiskPath%WLIDSVC.EXE" goto PD9_start
    goto run_perfectdisk

:PD9_start
    NET START wlidsvc > NUL
    goto run_perfectdisk

:run_perfectdisk
    "%PerfectDiskPath%wlmail.exe"
    ::Stop the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant Service
    if exist "%PerfectDiskPath%WLIDSVC.EXE" goto PD9_stop

:PD9_stop
    NET STOP wlidsvc > NUL
    goto end_it

:end_it
    ::Delete environment variables we created/used
    SET Reg.Key=
    SET Reg.Val=
    SET PerfectDiskPath=
    SET PathDirectory=

Just where did you find this file on the Raxco/Perfectdisk site? And or can you supply me with it. Thanks
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:12 PM
  • with wlidsvc.exe disabled I cannot use windows live email. I'm not sure what else it will mess with, as I do use movie maker and some other
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:31 PM
  • just paste it in notepad and save as bat file and place in your wlm folder, put a shortcut on the desktop and that's it. make sure the servers are set to manual.

click the shortcut, cmd window will open, then wlm loads, when you close wlm the cmd window closes the services.

Say no to useless services.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 12:22 PM