none
Upgrading From Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I just discovered that my Windows 10 Home edition will not connect to a domain, preventing me from connecting to my Windows Server 2016 Essentials server.

Research tells me that I need to purchase an upgrade key that will move me to the Pro edition?  I would really like to avoid a total reinstall because I have a highly customized Windows 10 Home PC with about 30 applications.

Is it an easy upgrade without sacrificing all the work and installs that have already been done on the Home edition?

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Saturday, April 13, 2019 4:33 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As you've Windows 10 Home as a qualifying license, you can surely upgrade to Pro edition by buying upgrade license using Microsoft Store. The upgrade costs you around $100. FYI, the upgrade won't affect your data. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation > click Go to Store > Buy.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Saturday, April 13, 2019 3:15 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 4:51 AM
  • hi,
    yes ,in general ,server 2016 essential support win10 pro and not support win10 home .
    1 have you bought windows 10 pro and have win10 pro product key ?
      if you have you can try below steps.((note Before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, make sure your device is up to date and running the most recent version of Windows 10 Home. make sure you have backed up or cloned your windows 10 home  )
    Upgrade using a Windows 10 Pro product key

To upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 10 product key:

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.
    2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.
    3. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
      How to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Due1xYEhZqw

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2 other information we can refer Microsoft official document
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:40 PM
  • This may or may not be of interest to the OP but it is not necessary to use a Pro version of Win 10 if the only requirement is to access files on a domain server.

Using a normal "home" network setup just type the URL of the server (or any folder on it) into the File Explorer address bar and provide a valid (domain) user ID and password.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:48 AM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As you've Windows 10 Home as a qualifying license, you can surely upgrade to Pro edition by buying upgrade license using Microsoft Store. The upgrade costs you around $100. FYI, the upgrade won't affect your data. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation > click Go to Store > Buy.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Saturday, April 13, 2019 3:15 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 4:51 AM
  • hi,
    yes ,in general ,server 2016 essential support win10 pro and not support win10 home .
    1 have you bought windows 10 pro and have win10 pro product key ?
      if you have you can try below steps.((note Before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, make sure your device is up to date and running the most recent version of Windows 10 Home. make sure you have backed up or cloned your windows 10 home  )
    Upgrade using a Windows 10 Pro product key

To upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 10 product key:

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.
    2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.
    3. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
      How to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Due1xYEhZqw

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2 other information we can refer Microsoft official document
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:40 PM
  • This may or may not be of interest to the OP but it is not necessary to use a Pro version of Win 10 if the only requirement is to access files on a domain server.

Using a normal "home" network setup just type the URL of the server (or any folder on it) into the File Explorer address bar and provide a valid (domain) user ID and password.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:48 AM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:45 PM
  • misar1946:

Thanks for the note.  I do want to use the image backup feature.  That would probably require PRO.

Thanks again,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:50 AM
  • I am glad that hear that.Thanks for your reply!

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:42 AM