none
Windows 10 Tamper Protection disabled after Windows Update 1909 RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed the update to Windows 10 1909 (19H2 Build 18363) on my Desktop-PC and afterwards noticed a yellow icon with exclamation mark on the "Windows Security"-icon in the taskbar.

The icon was shown because the "Tamper Protection" was suddenly disabled. Is this expected when installing major updates?

I just turned it back on but still wondering why it was disabled (maybe the update procedure needs to disable it in order to make certain changes)?

Would be nice if some MS dev could comment if "Tamper Protection" might be disabled by Microsoft while applying updates, thanks!

• Edited by Qu4rkz Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:33 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:33 AM

Answers

• Tamper Protection will be turned on by default, if you install 1909 clean. If you upgrade, for compatibility reasons, it will not be turned on by default, but instead, a new warning is introduced, that the new standards are not met, so you may decide whether you want to have it on.

• Marked as answer by Qu4rkz Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:47 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:47 PM

All replies

• I can confirm the same happened on my Surface Pro 7 tablet. After installing the 1909 update the "Tamper Protection" was disabled.

Maybe the update forgets to re-enable it?

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:36 AM
  • I think it is an expected phenomenon, don’t worry.

Tamper Protection is a security feature that was introduced in Windows 10 version 1903, when enabled, Tamper Protection prevents Windows Security and Windows Defender settings from being changed by programs, Windows command line tools, Registry changes, or group policies.

You know, 1909 is a feature upgrade which includes some news features and security enhancements, the new security settings may need to be achieved on the situation where Tamper Protection is disabled, so system disable it temporarily. You current behavior is right, turn it on back.

Prevent changes to security settings with Tamper Protection

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4490103/windows-10-prevent-changes-to-security-settings-with-tamper-protection          

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Kapil.AryaMVP Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:20 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:51 AM
  • Tamper Protection will be turned on by default, if you install 1909 clean. If you upgrade, for compatibility reasons, it will not be turned on by default, but instead, a new warning is introduced, that the new standards are not met, so you may decide whether you want to have it on.

• Marked as answer by Qu4rkz Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:47 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:47 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification!
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:18 PM
  • You are welcome. If you get the answer using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:05 AM