none
OpenVPN installation - cant install TAP-Win32 device driver

Question

• Hi all, ok ive tried openvpn forums, and getting no joy, so im trying here.

I have recently configured a pfsense server for VPN, and am testing out the OpenVPN
     client on a few users. I have installed OpenVPN and it is up and running like a dream on all the users PC's its been tried on, OS's being windows XP, and windows 7.

However today when installing it on a users laptop, on XP sp3, it will not install the TAP-Win32 device driver.
    During installation an error box appears;

"error occurred installing the TAP-Win32 device driver"

The login account does have administrative rights, (right clicking the install file and selecting run-as the selected user has admin rights), and I have tried the previous version openvpn-2.rc19, still has same problem (read on another forum this solved the problem for someone)

Any suggestions ? Much appreciated.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:08 PM

Answers

I have recently configured a pfsense server for VPN, and am testing out the OpenVPN
     client on a few users. I have installed OpenVPN and it is up and running like a dream on all the users PC's its been tried on, OS's being windows XP, and windows 7.

However today when installing it on a users laptop, on XP sp3, it will not install the TAP-Win32 device driver.

The login account does have administrative rights, (right clicking the install file and selecting run-as the selected user has admin rights), and I have tried the previous version openvpn-2.rc19, still has same problem (read on another forum this solved the problem for someone)

I have been able to resolve this issue many ways, but I would try this first.

With openVPN installed go to Start > All Programs > OpenVPN > Utilities > Delete ALL TAP-32 virtual Ethernet adapters (do it as administrator).
    Reboot.
    Go back to the directory, and Install a new TAP virtual adapter and try again.

Hope that works.
    • Marked as answer by leo23081 Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:35 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:52 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I managed to get it installed, what I did was (not sure which one solved the problem tbh):

• uninstall a load of junk on the users computer (blackberry applications, norton internet security.. which was expired anyway)
    • did what jpag4947 suggested and; Start > All Programs > OpenVPN > Utilities > Delete ALL TAP-32 virtual Ethernet adapters
    • uninstalled openvpn gui
    • create a new acccount on the pc, with admin rights.
    • logout, then login wiht new account
    • install openvpn gui
    This worked, it created the TAP-Win32 adaptor. I then logged in with the user account, and the application and adaptor were there, and working.
    • Marked as answer by leo23081 Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:34 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:34 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem with openvpn 2.1.1
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:44 PM

I have been able to resolve this issue many ways, but I would try this first.

With openVPN installed go to Start > All Programs > OpenVPN > Utilities > Delete ALL TAP-32 virtual Ethernet adapters (do it as administrator).
    Reboot.
    Go back to the directory, and Install a new TAP virtual adapter and try again.

Hope that works.
    • Marked as answer by leo23081 Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:35 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:52 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I managed to get it installed, what I did was (not sure which one solved the problem tbh):

• uninstall a load of junk on the users computer (blackberry applications, norton internet security.. which was expired anyway)
    • did what jpag4947 suggested and; Start > All Programs > OpenVPN > Utilities > Delete ALL TAP-32 virtual Ethernet adapters
    • uninstalled openvpn gui
    • create a new acccount on the pc, with admin rights.
    • logout, then login wiht new account
    • install openvpn gui
    This worked, it created the TAP-Win32 adaptor. I then logged in with the user account, and the application and adaptor were there, and working.
    • Marked as answer by leo23081 Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:34 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:34 PM
  • What if the removal fails?
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:02 AM
  • try installing openvpn portable. it will ask you to install network drivers before use. when you quit, it asks you whether to remove them. hit no. 

now even openvpngui will work.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovpnp/
    • Edited by justyjusty Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:19 AM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:18 AM
  • hi l have same problem ,so hw shall l do to create a new account on pc?were shall l go in on pc to do that??l have norton 360 ,shall l erase my virus protection also or??thanks .johnny
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:32 PM