none
Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder when brower is close does not work in windows 7 X64

Question

• We need clear IE cache after IE close for our users.

I create group policy to enable Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder when brower is close. I checked every user's IE setting after apply policy, every IE Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder when brower is close option was selected. It is working in windows XP and Windows 7 32 bit machines, but in windows 7 X64 bit machines, this function does not work, all the Temporary Internet files still in folder after closing IE. Is there some special requirement for Windows 7 X64 or IE X64 version? I need help, Thanks a lot!!!

Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• So far, I found the reason is, on IE9, deleting browsering history on exit option should be selected. In Windows 2003 domain controller, I can not find the option in group policy, in Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller, I can find this option in Group policy. select it and apply the GPO, it is working well.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please check if the setting: Delete browsing history on exist is enabled in the Internet Options of 64-bit Windows 7.

Meanwhile, as far as I know, there may be no special requirement for 64-bit Windows 7 or Internet Explorer.

I have managed to empty the Temporary Internet Files folder of 64-bit Windows 7 machine in my lab by configure the following:

You can manually try it and see how it works.

In addition, related group policy settings are under Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Delete Browsing History.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, Jeremy.

We don't want to delete history on IE, what we want to do is to only delete Temporary Internet Files every time automatically when IE is closed.

I tried to delete Temporary Internet files manually, it worked fine.

Friday, August 10, 2012 3:20 PM
  • I tried in Windows XP, Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 2008 R2, All work well, only windows 7 64 bit version can not work
    Friday, August 10, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I find the reason is because my windows 7 X64 rus IE9 and other version windows 7 xp 2008 r2 run IE8. it looks like IE9 has this problem.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Based on my research, this issue can be caused by the following:

1. If any files that are present in the
    Temporary Internet Files folder has an open handle to any other program in the machine then the file will not be deleted.

2. Certain ico/image files that gets downloaded through IE are also not deleted when we do apply the settings for the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" the reason being such files are not indexed in the index.dat file for the cache, this is done intentionally as these static image files seldom change at the server end so efficiency is achieved if we use that directly from the cache.

3. If the location of the
    Temporary Internet Files folder has been changed from the default location.

4. If some application is having a handle open for the index.dat file in the IE TIF folder. in such situations the third-party applications creates a lock for the index.dat file and so it is not available for the IE to read and delete the files that are indexed.

Therefore, please try the following:

1. Follow the steps in Internet Explorer Does not Delete Temporary Internet Files on Close.

2. Use the command 

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Cache" /v Persistent /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f  

either as a startup script, or a logon script to set the option.

3. Install Process Explorer and searched for open handles to "content.ie5"

If there is a number of other applications that are accessing the locations and the index.dat file, further closing down those applications can help in clearing the cache.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:26 AM
  • So far, I found the reason is, on IE9, deleting browsering history on exit option should be selected. In Windows 2003 domain controller, I can not find the option in group policy, in Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller, I can find this option in Group policy. select it and apply the GPO, it is working well.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Perfect, Thanks for this as it helped me with my IE9 temporary files deletion.  

----E----

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:54 PM