none
KB3000061 Failure to Install on Windows 8 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• As the title says, the updater says Failure to Configure, Reverting.

I have tried using Windows Update and also the .msu from the Download Centre with the same failure.

It would be good to get this installed due to the severity of the security flaw involved.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• exact same problem here with windows 8 enterprise 32bit.  Tried all troubleshooting.  Same problem on multiple computers here.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:19 PM
  • I have the same problem with win 8 pro
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:03 PM
  • Same problem on two different Server 2012 machines, one virtual, one physical. Tried applying this patch all by itself, no go.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:52 PM
  • This applies to all the windows updates ie, .net etc with this release.  This is serious.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:00 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

Try the following methods:

Restart your computer

Unplug your removable media from the computer

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Install Windows updates in a clean boot state

Perform a system restore Perform an in-place upgrade

For more information, please refer to the following article to resolve this issue:

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:01 AM
  • Hey Karen

there is nothing to do, I have windows 8 enterprise 32 bits and this is the same.

This is a same with two Laptop with same windows 8 enterprise 32 bits, LENOVO and ASUS

I did all you said and I tried all I can but this update fail with this message : "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer"

I think your update KB3000061 is  C O R R U P T E D

Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:33 PM
  • karen,

i performed all those things, which are straight from ms website for failure to install---still no go.  This problem exits on ALL computes at our location.  Look around this site, you will find another topic on server 2012 with the same issue.  MS needs to to  something to correct this vulnerability for many folks.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:19 PM
  • Hey Karen will you decide to give us some sensible and right answer about this corrupted scrap kb3000061 file ?
    Friday, October 17, 2014 1:34 AM
  • Same issue here on one, possibly two, separate (and very different) Windows 8 x64 PCs. I am sure this is the cause of the update failure on one; I haven't fully isolated it to this update on the other yet.

Any ETA on a fix for this? This update seems to be broken.

Phil

Friday, October 17, 2014 1:41 PM
  • In CBS log this scrap kb3000061 file seem to be "installed" but the state stay "state not installed" 

Unlike the crap are you talking about, Karen, this is relevant information.

Friday, October 17, 2014 3:32 PM
  • I'm afraid none of your suggestions worked, Karen. I feel it's more a problem with this particular update than anything else.
    Friday, October 17, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Confirmed. It is the same KB3000061 update that is causing trouble for me on the two (very different) Windows 8 x64 PCs.
    Friday, October 17, 2014 11:24 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to this similar thread to see if it could resolve the issue:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f77691d8-a9d0-4714-98ad-71665cfa8965/kb3000061-fails-to-install-on-server-2012?forum=winserver8gen

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by jerryhat Monday, October 20, 2014 6:44 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 10:06 AM
  • Happy to confirm that deleting the key mentioned in the thread Karen listed above (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Publishers\{e7ef96be-969f-414f-97d7-3ddb7b558ccc}) enabled me to install the KB3000061 update successfully. Please read the full thread for advice on performing this task safely.

Thanks for the help Karen.

Out of interest, does anyone else with this problem use Bitdefender AV?

Monday, October 20, 2014 6:44 PM
    • To alleviate this problem on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 based systems, please export and delete the following registry value, reboot your system and then re-attempt the update: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Publishers\{e7ef96be-969f-414f-97d7-3ddb7b558ccc}
    • If deleting the above registry value does not resolve the issue for you, please ping this thread as I'd like to see your follow-up CBS.logs from the system
    • For those of you running Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, I'd actually like to know some additional information about your environments, namely, if the systems impacted were upgrades of a specific kinda (Vista->Win7->Win8) or if there was a special process used when creating your images.  Anything you think might be relevant and would be outside of a 'clean install' from media.
    • For Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 customers, I still haven't seen a set of logs to confirm we're seeing the same issue.  Everything I've seen to this point has been on Windows 8/Windows 2012.  I'd love to see logs if you're having an issue.

This is the supported method to resolve this issue (and as others have noted above, this works).  This occurs when servers have been upgraded from 2008R2 to 2012 (or WinVista to Win8).  The key is being carried over in these scenarios and not being set to the proper value.  We're investingating why this occurred but deleting the key and rebooting the system will resolve the problem.  If you see something otherwise, please let me know.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:35 PM