none
How can I open my savedata.mig file?

Question

• Hello, I used Windows Easy Transfer to copy my files, user accounts and settings from a Windows XP Home Norwegian operating system. The savedata.mig file is saved on a external harddisk. I then clean installed Vista Ultimate.

My problem is that the Windows Easy Transfer will not transfer back my savedata.mig file because of language incompability.

do anyone know how to resolve this problem or any utility to open the savedata.mig file so I can pick the files I need?

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:28 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi Jensen,

Thank you for your post.

Please refer to my answer in the following link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2351091&isthread=false&siteid=17

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:21 AM
  •  Tim Quan - MSFT wrote:

Hi Jensen,

Thank you for your post.

Please refer to my answer in the following link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2351091&isthread=false&siteid=17

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Ok, This doesnt answer the final question. Can you open a *.mig file with any other program to just view/retrieve its contents?

You pounded the fact that WET cant go from one language to the next. Knew that. It also wont go from x86 to x64. Few other stipulations I dont feel are neccessary to list due to relevance.

I have a WET transfer that is not restoring correctly. The restore works successfully but gets hung up on one .PST file. It give the option to skip the file, and then continues on with the restore. Once completed the .PST is in its orriginal folder, but the data in it mimmics the data of another .PST in the folder. I need to get into the .mig file and see if I can extract this .PST file that is having problems.

Any help is extremely appreciated!

Klint.

Friday, November 09, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Why not answer the question posed by Jensen.  Look at his further post.  I am having the same issue, though not with a pst file but with a MS cab file.  Why copy cab files anyway since one has to reload programs when transferring?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:23 PM
  • Hi! I used WET to trasfer settings and files tfrom vista o an external disk. Then I installed Vista, and upon transfering the data back, I get the message: Insert first volume... There is only one volume (Savedata.mig is only ca 340 Mb), the language is the same, one is Home - the other Ultimate. What I really need is a way to handle ths file as if it was a compressed file, like a zip or something.

Please, there must be a way - it's only a fu**ing file for god's sake!!!

Smile
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 12:22 AM
  • If you ever find out, please tell me. My .mig file seems to be corrupt and I'd like to save as many files as I can.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Tim,
    My problem is to restore the data I saved with Vista Ultimate 64 bits pt-br version in a Vista Ultimate 64 bits en-us version (with pt-br language pack).
    I cannot believe that the language difference voids the utilization of the feature, which is more than welcome. Is this is the case, there has to be a workaround this downside.
    Thank you,
    Rogerio

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Hello Tim, seems that many people is in need for a workaround for the problems with the .mig file. I need an extracter so I can get my family photos out of it.

If I have to reinstall XP Home Norwegian I am not sure I will install Vista again. Vista need all the push it can get so please...

Thanks in advanced!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:08 PM
  • Dear Mr. Quan,

We copied all my datas from my C: and now when i restore my data, when it comes to my outlook pst, it says that its invalid. How come A Microsoft Program doesn't copy the PST of Outlook?

Can you please help me, as m helpless, all my memory is in this pst file.

Tks

Christine
    Friday, July 03, 2009 10:13 AM
  • maybe this will help: download Windows Easy Transfer for Windows XP (requires WGA)
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Information on this link will help you : http://www.visser.com.au/blog/migrecover-for-microsofts-windows-easy-transfer/

This has worked for me. I created the MIG file on xp to be extracted on a vista machine so for the recover tool to work i had to use a vista machine.

Regards

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:30 PM