none
Updated to Build 17686.1003, now can't boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I updated to 17686.1003 last night and rebooted.  Now I just get a black screen after the UEFI bios screen. No white dots or any disk activity beyond the first few blips.

Computer is: Asus Prime 370-A latest bios 0806, 32G ram, i7-8700, GTX1070, Sam M.2 960 NVME

Booted to recovery USB.  Can't rollback or repair.

I've tried everything I can think of.  SFC and DISM report no errors.  There's nothing in RegBack to copy back.

What's next?

Thursday, June 28, 2018 12:01 AM

Answers

• Thanks Momominta, but no dice.  /fixboot gives Access Denied and /rebuildbcd gives "The system cannot find the file specified" when I say (A) to add all (there were two instances found with a /scanos.

Hi Jimmy

Please check the video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rczKC7w302U#

Momominta

Thursday, June 28, 2018 3:26 PM
  • Thanks. But that didn't work either still getting the "Access Denied".

But I did a bit more research and after going into Diskpart and giving my System Reserved partitiona drive letter, I was able to go directly to the exiting \EFI\microsoft\boot\ directory and execute:  bcdboot E:\Windows /s V: (where E: is your Windows drive and V: is your newly name System Reserved partition)

And it boots okay now.  I just wondering what kind of disaster I left behind and awaits me on my next update.

Thanks for your help!

• Marked as answer by JimmyJetpack Friday, June 29, 2018 3:05 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2018 3:01 AM

All replies

• This appears to be a duplicate post?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/edfc826a-8f8b-4933-afa6-b54e3d0a7888/applied-update-and-now-wont-boot-no-error-just-black-screen?forum=win10itprogeneral

Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Thanks Momominta, but no dice.  /fixboot gives Access Denied and /rebuildbcd gives "The system cannot find the file specified" when I say (A) to add all (there were two instances found with a /scanos.
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:18 AM
  • Thanks. But that didn't work either still getting the "Access Denied".

But I did a bit more research and after going into Diskpart and giving my System Reserved partitiona drive letter, I was able to go directly to the exiting \EFI\microsoft\boot\ directory and execute:  bcdboot E:\Windows /s V: (where E: is your Windows drive and V: is your newly name System Reserved partition)

And it boots okay now.  I just wondering what kind of disaster I left behind and awaits me on my next update.

Thanks for your help!

• Marked as answer by JimmyJetpack Friday, June 29, 2018 3:05 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2018 3:01 AM