HOW DO i ENABLE HDMI AUDIO? RRS feed

• Question

• I use an hdmi cable to connect my monitor, but periodically the sound stops working. It has happened a few times.  In the past I have been able to find the hdmi audio and enable it, but I have to jump thru so many hoops that I cant recall how I got there, so the next time it happens I repeat the process of seek and find.... Tonite, I cant find it at all and require some guidance. How do I turn on the audio for hdmi?
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 1:36 AM

Answers

• To enable a sound device or set it as default:

• Right-click the volume icon in the system tray
    • Click "Playback Devices"
    • Find your HDMI Output device, and either right-click it and select Enable, or open Properties and set "Device Usage" to "Use this device (Enable)"

You may also set the device to default by right-clicking it and choosing "Set as Default Device".

Hope this helps!

Rory Fewell

(CCNA, MOS)

Windows Server 2012 and Networking Fundamentals Apprentice

Visit my site!

View me on GitHub!

Sunday, October 30, 2016 1:06 PM

All replies

• To enable a sound device or set it as default:

• Right-click the volume icon in the system tray
    • Click "Playback Devices"
    • Find your HDMI Output device, and either right-click it and select Enable, or open Properties and set "Device Usage" to "Use this device (Enable)"

You may also set the device to default by right-clicking it and choosing "Set as Default Device".

Hope this helps!

Rory Fewell

(CCNA, MOS)

Windows Server 2012 and Networking Fundamentals Apprentice

Visit my site!

View me on GitHub!

Sunday, October 30, 2016 1:06 PM
  • Hi ,

As Rory said, set your hdmi audio as default to have a try.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:53 AM
  • You may have to take this extra step :

Right Click the little speaker near the clock
    Playback Devices
    Right Click in the Box and check both Show disabled devices and Show disconnected devices
    Double click your device (or Right Click Enable - OR - Right Click - Properties

Also HDMI cables connectors can be very touchy to keep securely connected for some strange reason - even a little vibration can cause one not to allow a previous connection.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT - Windows Insider MVP : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:26 AM
  • How do I turn on the audio for hdmi?

The only sure way seems to be to reboot.  Otherwise, we are looking for an effective workaround.  Just having an easy way to identify a deadlock would be a start.  Then perhaps it would be clear if a reboot was actually necessary.

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hdmi-sound/5a8af83f-314f-4763-a428-83424e81f3cd?msgId=c728c632-99cd-4950-b68d-5abc6bdd8ebb

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:39 PM