none
Windows 7 Desktop Icons don't work

Question

• I have windows 7 ultimate signature edition, from being a windows 7 launch party host.

every once in a while my desktop icon, are not clickable.  I can click on shortcuts on the bottom bar and the windows ball at the bottom to load programs from the start menu, but no shortcuts on the desktop will work. I can not even click on the widget on the side of my desktop

Everything works again when a do a reboot, and will be fine for a few days then it happens again.

This is the 5th time it has happen since installing windows 7  three weeks ago.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue can be caused by third party programs. You can try testing it in Clean Boot mode.

If the issue persists, try creating a new account:

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage use accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

Does it reoccur?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:00 AM
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can be caused by third party programs. You can try testing it in Clean Boot mode.

If the issue persists, try creating a new account:

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage use accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

Does it reoccur?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:00 AM
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:13 AM
  • We've come across this exact symptom on a new windows 7 computer. The problem turned out to be AVG 9. Once it was removed, the computer worked normally again.
    Sunday, May 02, 2010 4:55 PM
  • I had the same problem with the icons locking on the desktop after I would shut down windows explorer.  The icons would work fine on a system reboot.  My hp computer had regular version of internet explorer and the 64 bit version.  When I use only the 64 bit version of explorer my desktop icons no longer lock up.  Hope this works for you too.
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:22 PM
  • look guys this problem is a simple one. It usually happens when you are using internet explorer 32 bit instead of 64 bit.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:41 AM
  • This may sound strange but what is happening is Internet Explorer is getting stuck open in the background. When you close IE, it doesn't shut down completely and makes your desktop unusable. The fix for this is to reset Internet Explorer. Resetting IE disables all add-ons and changes the settings back to default. That is why some of you reported that the 64-bit version works and not the 32-bit. The 64-bit version does not allow add-ons. My guess is there is a rogue add-on that is causing IE to not shut down properly.
    1. Click Start button
    2. Type "Internet Options" in the search box.
    3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
    4. Click "Reset."
    5. Click "Reset" again.
    6. Your desktop should work again. 
    7. As an additional precaution, it would be a good idea to do a Malwarebytes scan to check for viruses.
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Where is AVG 9 At? I looked in the programs to uninstall, didn't see it.
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:03 PM
  • I did that and it still did not work
    Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:04 PM
  • I have the same issue.  It's been going on for a couple months now.  Have to say I haven't really dug into it, but wanted to say here I don't have AVG installed on my system, I use MSE.  Also, I don't use IE, I use PaleMoon (Firefox derivative).  Now I suppose IE could be accessed from time to time, possibly by Windows update, but I'm not sure.
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:25 AM