Use of 16-bit applications on Win 10 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Due to the fact we are unable to use 16-bit applications on Win 10 64-bit the only available option is to install an older OS as Virtual Machine.

Could you please provide a procedure how to obtain (download) an older OS compatible with 16-bit application to be installed as Virtual Machine.

This should be free of charge as this is a Win 10 glitch 

• Edited by Alex2018 Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:30 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:29 PM

All replies

• This is not a Windows 10 glitch. Previous versions of Windows 64 bit could also not run 16bit processes. 

Some old games run on DosBox

Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:14 PM
  • Hi

If it’s a DOS based 16bit program, you should be able to run it through DosBox. It “might” work directly in a normal CMD window, but I doubt it very much.

If it’s an old Win3 / 95 program I think you’re probably out of luck. You’d have better chance to run it in something like XP - with compatibility mode turned on. However, the xp is out of support. I haven't found a official site to download the xp iso. In addition, since in 64 bit os, you can not run a 16 bit application, it is suggested that you can run in 32 bit os.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 6, 2018 8:40 AM
  • What is going on?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 9, 2018 9:50 AM