none
Date on New Recorded TV shows as 'Unknown' on Networked PCs

Question

• I have multiple Win 7 RC machines in a Homegroup.  Each "Recorded TV" folder is included in the library of the other machines. 

When a machine records a new TV program, it displays correctly (date, duration) in "Recorded TV" on that machine, but on the other machines it shows in the "Date Recorded" view as a date of "Unknown", the show name displays as the filename, a duration of 1 min and no synopsis etc. 

Restarting Media Center or rebooting the PC does not fix the problem.  The problem IS fixed if you remove the folder from the library and then add it back again.

Any suggestions or is this a 'known problem'?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:32 PM

All replies

• My setup is similar where I have multiple Windows 7 machines recording television to a central Windows Home Server. Each of the Windows 7 clients has the central server share location added to its library and each can see all the recordings aggregated from both machines. Each machine can see the correct metadata only for the recording it has made itself. It sees the other machines recordings as UNKNOWN for the recorded time and with no metadata.

Anyone have any thoughts or fixes?
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:58 PM
  • This seems to be a timing issue.  If the 'watching' machines 'see' the new recording when the file is initially created (i.e. the recording starts), the problem occurs.  Once the 'corrupt' entry has been added on the watching machine, it is never updated.  The resolution is to remove the entry by removing the watched folder from the library and then adding the folder back (so the recordings are re-added).  This has the undesired effect of updating the 'last modified' date on the recordings being added and hence driving unnecessary backup volume!

If the 'watching' machine is turned off when the recording is made and booted later, it will add the recording correctly first time.

I will guess that this is related in some way to a) the recording not containing the thumbnail/metadata when initially scanned by the watching machine b) the recording machine having a lock on the file c) the watching machine needing to write to the file. 

It would be nice if the watching machine were able to detect the problem and rescan the file periodically until it is able to add it correctly.  Maybe there are some settings that can work around the issue?

Any suggestions?  Is this a common problem?

Thursday, July 02, 2009 10:32 AM
  • I have this same problem.  It is annoying.

Win7 Pro Retail 64bit as the Recording Machine

Win7 HomePremium 32bit as the Machine watching the above PC via shared library
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:15 AM
  • I know it's an old thread but I want to add my issue as well. I have the same issues describe here and want to add one more... One of the series I'm recording have all the same synopsys for each recorded show. It's really annoying. Looked to many other threads in different forums and lot of people are experiencing this issue. But no solution to be found.

Claude

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Claude: I suggest that you repost this at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some WMC experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:09 PM