Problem with Deployment Services RRS feed

• Question

• We have been testing Server 2008 R2 deployment services for an upcomming rollout of Windows 7, using the install.wim file from the Windows 7 installation DVD the process works fine.  However when we create an install.wim, using the AIK, of windows 7 with our apps installed, it will not deploy with with development services.

The install.win will upload to the development services server, and it will validate, however when we select that image after a pxe boot it fails during the "expanding files" section of the windows installation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:35 PM

All replies

• Can you grab the setup error logs (see here for locations: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744583(WS.10).aspx) and post them here? Specifically, I'm looking for setupact.log
    Monday, March 29, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Hi Sean,

It seems to be caused by the custom install.wim, errors during “Expanding files” can be caused by corrupt media or hard disk problem. I kindly recommend you to re-capture a custom install image and check the hard disk by running the command: chkdsk /f.

Best Regards

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, April 5, 2010 1:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SDT IT Staff Friday, April 16, 2010 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by erdelyit Monday, May 31, 2010 2:18 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Dale,

Sorry about the delay in responding, but the project was put on the back burner, and I've recently returned my attention to it.  The image appears to be good as it installs successfully from a UFD, however it fails as described above from a deployment server.  I get the same results on multiple clients from multiple deployment servers.

I do have two unusual event ids in the event log.  One is for the actual error I get an Event ID 4114, but so far I've been unable to find any information on that ID.

+System

-Provider
       [ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Deployment-Services-Diagnostics
       [ Guid]{22B7D623-566B-47B6-9BA0-BC9DA3C9D646}

EventID4114

Version0

Level2

Task0

Opcode0

Keywords0x4000000000000000

-TimeCreated
       [ SystemTime]2010-04-15T13:51:31.893391200Z

EventRecordID1

Correlation

-Execution
       [ ProcessID]1300
       [ ThreadID]1356

ChannelMicrosoft-Windows-Deployment-Services-Diagnostics/Admin

ComputerIChmDeploy01.SDT.local

-Security
       [ UserID]S-1-5-18

-UserData

-WdsClientFatalErrorEvent

SessionGUID{3CE3A326-A8BD-48D3-B813-C4630C858DC1}

ClientMAC0016416E5B20

ClientIP192.168.168.95

ClientGuid{9ACEA2D6-0E9F-BE38-8F3A-D39E406F81B5}

ClientArch9

ErrorMessageWindows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570

The other is a warning message Event ID 4108, that I also cannot find any information about.

+System

-Provider
       [ Name]Microsoft-Windows-Deployment-Services-Diagnostics
       [ Guid]{22B7D623-566B-47B6-9BA0-BC9DA3C9D646}

EventID4108

Version0

Level4

Task0

Opcode0

Keywords0x8000000000000000

-TimeCreated
       [ SystemTime]2010-04-15T13:51:15.299110200Z

EventRecordID495

Correlation

-Execution
       [ ProcessID]1300
       [ ThreadID]1352

ChannelMicrosoft-Windows-Deployment-Services-Diagnostics/Operational

ComputerIChmDeploy01.SDT.local

-Security
       [ UserID]S-1-5-18

-UserData

-WdsClientImageApplyStartEvent

SessionGUID{3CE3A326-A8BD-48D3-B813-C4630C858DC1}

ClientMAC0016416E5B20

ClientIP192.168.168.95

ClientGuid{9ACEA2D6-0E9F-BE38-8F3A-D39E406F81B5}

ClientArch9

ImageGroupWindows 7

ImageNameWindows 7 Enterprise

Thanks,

Sean

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:41 PM
  • hello, first of all sorry for my bad english... i'm a french user, in grenoble

only want to say that I have exactly the same problem... my WDS work's on 2008r2 and is fully operationnal, with image from original MEDIA, seven ,2008, seven

it work's also with old image build 2 yars ago with vista/office2003

BUT when i try to make a new image from a new computer with seven fully installed with office and others application, i use SYSPREP / BOOT on WINPE / IMAGEX CAPTURE / and load on WDS

when i try to apply this image on a new computer, the installation begin well, choice of image, and hang at the same moment with exactly the same message (on course in french):

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570"

if i try install this image from a netkwork share, by imagex / apply, it work's, only deployement by WDS hang...

i've tried (as suggested by DALE) a chkdsk / f on the seven computer, remake the wim image with a sysprep imagex/ capture sequence... tried to install on a new client and... same problem!!!!

thank's for all hints or ideas...

cabare michel
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Bump, to see if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Friday, April 30, 2010 1:27 PM
  • hello sean

i'm trying to go ahead...

2 directions :

1) a lot a people talk about MDT 2010 for prepare image instead of capture with image/x on winpeboot, i shall test this direction these days

2) i've tried to capture the same image on the same computer directly by an other way

a) create on my WDS a capture-image,

b) make a bootable CD with her,

c) boot on it for capture the same computer. Once the process is finished,

d) deploy this image with my WDS, and the story il a little different, everithing is ok, (so he expand all files,)

i start cross test installing 3 different computer (hardware and soft ), create image for each in this way, and download any image on any computer

it work's fine

OK, for me, imagex / capture is not correct with seven if you planify image for WDS, is only correct if you planify image with imagex, so i mean

if we have WDS we have to capture a computer with a capture image create on our WDS

if we want mount an image with winpe + imagex, we can crerate this image with imagex / capture

i wait for anyone who sho me that i'm wrong, IE that we can use imagex with WDS ;-)

cabare michel
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Greetings:

We got the same issue.  Turns out there was a corrupt RES.RWM from the same image group.  Basically, Delete the image group and re added the images and life is all good.

Best regards,

Bryant Fong

Bryant Fong
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:31 PM
  • I have two identical hp 8440p to be imaged by WDS. One takes it with no error, another crashes with 0x80070570. If the image was corrupt both would crash. The HDD-s are freshly partitioned and formatted.

Anyone has any clue?

Monday, May 31, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem. I have tried taking the image from a physically machine as well as a VM from VMware. I get the same error everytime we try to install from WDS.

Here are the steps we use to create the image.

Fresh Install of Windows 7 Enterprise

Install all needed software on the PC/VM

sysprep oobe and Generalize the machine

Reboot into winpe

imagex /capture /verify

import image to the WDS server

Try to install from the newly created image

Receive the following error

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070570."

We have tried this process many times, and we are getting nowhere fast. There is literally nothing out there supplying help for this problem. The only thing a google search comes up with is this one single thread.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Greetings:

We got the same issue.  Turns out there was a corrupt RES.RWM from the same image group.  Basically, Delete the image group and re added the images and life is all good.

Best regards,

Bryant Fong

Bryant Fong

Perfect, albeit alot of work, i removed the groups, added them and images, all is now working again!

Thanks for this!

Kristofer Ohman | current position is at adidas
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:57 PM
  • I have a same problem because it use GImageX GUI Tools to capture WIM.

Use WAIK's ImageX is OK.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:35 AM