none
.zip file association RRS feed

• Question

• One of my endusers tells me that he installed a third party compression utility on his Vista machine.  He also tells me that it was not what he wanted so, he then uninstalled it.  The problem now is that you can not browse or open a compressed file/floder.  At first, you could not create one either, but I fixed that by reassociating .zip files with zipfdr.dll.  However, you still can not browse or open a .zip file.

I am very familiar with changing file associations.  I just don't know if I am trying to associate .zip file with the correct program.  The machine in question started out life as an XP machine.  So if this is the wrong program (zipfldr.dll) that might explain why it is there.

I guess my question is what program should I associate .zip files with in Vista.

Thanks for any help.

btw, I am only interested in fixing this the "correct" way.  I would much rather not use any 3rd party compression utilities.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:44 AM

Answers

• Had same problem ... and cheated

Checked this out ...

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Once done and run the registration - go back to file associate list via Deafult programs... and compressed folders reappears as you cant run zipfldr.dll directly.

As not a winds inf expert ... don't quote me - but seems to be working fine now :p

Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:16 AM

All replies

• Had same problem ... and cheated

Checked this out ...

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Once done and run the registration - go back to file associate list via Deafult programs... and compressed folders reappears as you cant run zipfldr.dll directly.

As not a winds inf expert ... don't quote me - but seems to be working fine now :p

Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:16 AM
  • Datalives:

Thanks for the excellent link :)

Saturday, March 17, 2007 9:59 PM
  • Great Job.  That worked perfectly.  I have to admit, I was hesitant at first to run the .reg file.  Mostly because it was made with XP in mind.  But I took two steps to make me feel a little better about giving it a try.  First, I backed up my registry and second, I made a restore point.  But, I won't be needed either of them.  All works well.Great Job.  That worked perfectly.  I have to admit, I was hesitant at first to run the .reg file.  Mostly because it was made with XP in mind.  But I took two steps to make me feel a little better about giving it a try.  First, I backed up my registry and second, I made a restore point.  But, I won't be needed either of them.  All works well.

Thanks a bunch.

Monday, March 19, 2007 11:55 PM
  • even i am having the same problem.. after mapping the zip folder .dll its not changing.. please let me know if you try out a new solution

Friday, November 16, 2007 6:16 AM
  •  

it worked the second time.................. great link............ thanks for your post....

thanks a lot

Friday, November 16, 2007 6:26 AM
  •  

Dude!!! That fixed it!! Thanks a  lot. That was the second registry 'hack' I tried to re-associate my zip files, and it worked like a champ. Thanx again!!
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:08 AM
  • Perfect Fix !!  Worked quickly and solved the problem.  Thanks alot!!

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:44 PM
  • I have this unzipping problem now too and this looks like it is exactly what I need, but the only problem is that I don't speak your tech language and I don't know how to even begin to edit my registry at all.  Will some kind person please type out an easy step by step guide (act like it is for dummies) and tell me how to do this exact thing in the registry?  I would be so incredibly grateful to you!
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:34 PM
  • *You may want/need to disable Anti-Virus and Malware protection before starting this procedure.*

*Read everything before you atart and make you you understand the directions.*

*This fix will only help if you are having the exact same problen as we had.*

Right click and save this link (save taget as) to an easy place to find later....

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/zipfolder_fix.reg

Click your start button

type regedit in the search (you don't need to hit enter)

right click the regedit program that shows and select "Run as Administrator" (Vista will ask for permission..OK it)

When the registry editor opens, collapse all of the folderis on the right.

Click on Computer

Click the File button in the Menu

Select Export and browse to the root of your C drive and save the file as b4zip.reg

(you will likely not need this. but if you do it will make it easier to restore if it is in an obvious location with a simple name)

Now that your registry is backed up, you need to run the file you downloaded in the first steps.

Browse to the zipfolder_fix.reg file

Right click it and select Run as Administrator

Vista should ask for permission...allow it

You should be done at this piont. I don't think you'll need to, but you may have to reboot.

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:48 PM