none
Vista Backup and Restore center will not backup to Network Location

Question

• When backing up using OneCare to a shared network drive (Or even using the Windows Easy Transfer), it works without issues.
    When I back up to a location using the Vista Backup & Restore (Which is what I'd prefer mainly because of Shadowcopy) The first time I try to do the backup, first it asks for a username and password. Niether this PC, or the one I'm backing up to have passwords set up but it won't let me continue without a password. I set up a password on both machines as a test, and tried it without them It always goes to the next step. It scans the files for backup, and then right after it gets to the point where it should be transfering files, it tells me the location cannot be found. All it puts in the folder is a file called MediaID.bin
    If I click the "try again" option it skips the scanning portion, goes right into the backup and then pops up with an "Access is denied" option. If I delete the MediaID.bin file, it scans again, and then brings up the location cannot be found error.
    I've tried multiple folders on this machine, each time OneCare backup works, but Vista Backup doesn't.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way around it? Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:44 PM

Answers

• Okay, I have a couple of Buffalo Terastations, and have been struggling with this problem forever.  My problem was similar, but not limited to the backup software.  If 'premissions' is enabled on the Terastation, then the Vista machine cannot log in, unless it uses a guest account with no password.  As soon as it requires a password (which I really want), all is lost.  For the record, no other Windows or Mac on my network has this problem, and that includes practically every OS that Microsoft makes.

I implemented the registry fix above to change the LmCompatibilityLevel from 3 to 2, but this alone was not enough.

When the Vista machine is logging on, it first tries to log on with a user name of Vista\vositis.  (Vista is the name of the machine)  The Terasations are both set up with a workgroup name of WORKGROUP.  (There is a domain server, but they don't participate.)  The Vista machine is also set up with a workgroup of WORKGROUP.

To log into the Terastation, the username must be 'workgroup\vositis' with the correct password.  If it is entered as only vositis, no dice.  'Vista\vositis' no dice.  'terastation\vositis' (Terastation is the name of the NAS server), no dice.  It must be formatted as [NAS Workgroup Name]\[User Name].

The registry change of LmCompatibilityLevel from 3 to 2 IS required.  After I got it working, I put it back to 3 and could not get it to log on.  Putting it back to 2, got it working again.  (rebooting between changes.)  I also tried the backup stuff, and using this username solved that problem too.

Personally, I think this is a bug.  If the Vista machine is set up to use a workgroup, then it should automatically attempt to log into a remote server using that workgroup name, rather than using the computer name as the workgroup.  Otherwise, what is the point of defining a workgroup name?

I also think it is a bug that you must edit the registry to change the LmCompatibilityLevel.  At a minimum, there should a place in the user interface where this can be adjusted, but really, the system should automatically detect the problem, and revert to the compatible protocol.

-VO

Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Update: I downloaded the free trial of Retrospect Pro 7.5 (which is an about $50 upgrade from the Express version included in many NAS devices) and it worked just fine! It also included 3 licences so I can do my main home network just fine including my Mac Mini. I wound up buying it after the success, from Amazon. I just want something that works. It's not pretty and it's a bit difficult to use, but with a little effort and a call or two to support I have a backup of my home network.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 6:07 PM
  • For what it's worth I got this to work when connecting a Vista client to Win Server 2003 R2 NAS.  I had the same issues as everyone here but in the end what worked for me was to type control userpasswords2 in the run command on the Vista client and go into Advanced tab and then Manage Passwords.  I found every reference to the NAS (DNS names, ip addresses) and removed them all.  Then I disonnected all working mapped drives to the NAS.  Then I mapped the drive I was going to use for the backup using Map Network drive function first and that worked (I used ip mapping).  Then I went into Backup and Restore and told it this was on a network drive and typed in the path (again using an ip address instead of a server name) and it was able to see the drive and let me proceed to pick what to backup etc and it worked. 

Monday, October 08, 2007 8:06 PM

All replies

• I just purchased a new computer 2 days ago pre-loaded with Vista Ultimate. I am using on my pre-existing network. I can see, and access my network drive. However, when I entered the username and password, the program seemed to recognize the drive b ut I get the following message when I try to use Vista back-up program:

"The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:

No mapping between the account names and security IDS was done.

(0x80070534)

Please insure that the network location is valid."

What is the answer? I have no problem with this drive on any other computer, and this seems to only affect my being able to use Vista backup.

• Proposed as answer by Head in a spin Friday, January 09, 2009 8:56 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Same exact problem here, too. I bought a NAS drive, and am in a home environment w/o Active Directory. I created usernames & passwords on the NAS that match my Windows account. I can map drives to the NAS shares & access them all day long. Vista Backup, however, a) gives the same failure as the above when I try to back up files, and refused to consider an UNC path at all to do a whole hard drive -- apparently is hard coded to do whole drive backups only to DVD or USB-attached drives? What the heck? Why cut out a NAS drive? Homes have >1 computer quite frequently, especially early adopters like those who'd like to use Vista...
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:06 PM
  • I tried wbadmin since it purportedly can back up to a UNC path. After the usual fumbling with getting the syntax exactly correct, I launched a cmd window as Admin, and entered the below. Since the backup process *was* able to go to that UNC path and create a new folder/subfolder pair of "WindowsImageBackup\D620", I can't understand why it also thinks that it does not have permissions to write the backup storage location...? Anyone?

=====================================================================

C:\Windows\system32>wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:\\10.20.1.98\rnh\hddbackups\d620\ -include:c:
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Retrieving volume information...

This would backup volume OS(C:) to \\10.20.1.98\rnh\hddbackups\d620\.

Do you want to start the backup operation?
    Yes Yes No No y

Backup to \\10.20.1.98\rnh\hddbackups\d620\ is starting.

Running shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.

Backup stopped before completing.

Summary of backup:
    ------------------

Cannot write to backup storage location.

C:\Windows\system32>

Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:47 PM
  • I encountered the same problem with backup to a network drive. I opened a Microsoft support request on the prompting for userid and password but did not get any resolution. I entered a userid and password. I think the local security policy  by default requires a userid and password for network sharing. I was able to get past the "access denied' problem by setting file permissions on the shared network drive to full control for the userid I used at the prompt for userid and password. Now the backup works fine to the network drive. The prompt for userid and password in the backup program may be for access to the computer where the network drive resides and not access to the network drive itself. I am guessing with that one, but microsoft support (the usual outsource to India) has no clue. Network file sharing works fine without any of the problems of the backup program and the sharing tab on the network drive states that no userids and passwords are required to access the resource over the network. The backup program seems to be using its own internal security features.  
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:39 PM
  • If you guys would like some help I can try to lend a hand. I would need some cooperation from some of you along with a full list of hardware, event logs, network description (ex. 2 computers, router, NAS attached at router with x kind of hard drive, etc.), possibly a remote assist session if I can squeeze in some time. Mainly communicating through email.

In response to oldtechs post I have done some digging and have not found any local security policy that affects the use of a NAS if you find one please let me know which one you are looking at.

Let me know if you are interested by posting back on here along with a contact email.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:58 PM
  • Sure, would love some help. My direct email is robert (a) houstontc . net

I can get started w. the other info as well:

Dell Latitude D620 docked on a expansion base, gigabit ethernet (Broadcom Netxtreme 57xx), plugged into a gigabit switch. Two other desktops are plugged into the same switch

Buffalo Hardware LinkStation Pro is the NAS

Firewall/router is a Fortinet Fortigate 60A. gigabit switch is plugged into that to allow high speed connections between computers, and to/from NAS box. Also have a wifi access point, HP printer/combo, and Vonage adapter plugged into LAN.

I'll wait for your email to expound further with event logs & whatever other details you'd like. Thanks very much for your offer & time.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:49 PM
  • I'm having basically the same problem described above.  I contact Buffalo Support and they had me install a registry key patch that you can download by selecting the Linkstation (not Linkstation Pro) from their website.  Unfortunately, that did not resolve the issue so I'm curious if you can post your results if you find a solution?  I'd rather not use the Memeo software that comes with Linkstation Pro.

I'm running a Linksys WRT54G router, but I'm upgrading that router shortly to a WRT350N so I'll have a Gig connection.

FYI - Buffalo Technologies support is very poor and you will sit on hold for at least 45 minutes.

- Greg

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:28 PM
  • To everyone that has this issue can you confirm you are all using a Buffalo product? (If so which one) Anyone using another brand for the NAS hardware?

Thank you,

Ryker

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:23 PM
  • One other thing I would like you folks to try is to press the windows key (or click Windows Button) and type regedit; then hit enter.

Regedit should at this point come up.

Hit CTRL+F

Type: LmCompatibilityLevel

Hit enter

This should navigate you to a Folder names LSA (On left) with the registry key you searched for on the right.

Please click to highlight this key and go to File>Export and save it as backup.reg on your desktop.

Once this is done please right click on the registry key and click modify.

Please set the key value to 2. (If this does not work please retrace your steps to here and enter 0)

Once 2 has been entered click ok and close all open windows and reboot.

Please retry to connect at this point. If the error still comes up please verify It is the same as the previous you received then try downgrading the 2 to a zero by following the steps previously listed.

Please let me know how this works out.

If this does not fix the issue please navigate to the backup.reg file and run it by double clicking; then saying ok to the prompt.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:07 PM
  • I have the same problem with a Buffalo TeraStation.  I tried the regedit trick with no luck.
    Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:51 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issue as well. I'm using a Buffalo NAS product. The fact that I can't backup my files to my Linkstation Pro has got me pretty ticked off.
    Sunday, March 04, 2007 3:23 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

Currently we are working on coming up with a workaround. My Japan team has seen this problem before and found it to be an issue with the Samba firmware for the NAS. They have been able to get it to work in the past. Currently I am awaiting more detailed instructions for you, I'm hopeful at this point your problems will be resolved with very little extra work. :o)

Thank you,

Ryker

Sunday, March 04, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Check out this post on the Samba message list, describes the problem quite nicely

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2007-January/051318.html

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:15 PM
  • So far from my research on this the best overall instructions I have come up with to attempt to make this work with the Buffalo Samba setup is as follows... (Just perform these steps then run the backup & restore center)

a)      On the terastation share configuration you need explicitly make a particular user have “write” access. This user name should be used for backup configuration.

b)      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel needed to be reduced to 2 on the Vista machine

c)       In the backup configuration wizard, only the username needs to be provided and the “machine\username” format is not to be used

To be honest with you I do not have one of these infront of me so I need someone to try it out. If you can make it work can you please take screenshots and provide a detailed writeup of how you were able to get yours to work? I would like to see if I can make a KB or similar out of this.

Thank you,

TexRyker

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:44 PM
  • No joy here, I'm afraid.

I made the registry change to '2' per above, and rebooted.

Launched the backup program

chose 'Complete PC Backup'
    Where do you want to save the backup?

At failure message, "No hard disks or DVD drives could be found for saving the backup. Please attach or install a hard disk or DVD drive, and try again.", I click OK. The 'Windows Complete PC Backup' dialog stays onscreen, with the radio button controls ghosted ('On a hard disk' and 'On one or more DVDs'), the 'next' button ghosted, and the Cancel button active.

Wait for two minutes... click Cancel, return to prior window.

Select 'Back Up Files' option instead... 'Set up automatic file backup'
    Click 'browse' for 'on a network:' radio button control - resulting dialog has a 'network' object with no child objects.
    After 1+ minute delay (due to no active directory? I'm on a home workgroup LAN), dialog is populated with computers, including Linkstation.
    Expand Linkstation to drill down to /rnh/hddbackups/
    Enter username & password when prompted
    get error dialog, 'network share could not be accessed for the following reason: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7) Please ensure that the network location is valid.

I've tried the above procedure with and without existing drive letter mappings to folder shares on the Linkstation Pro II 500 (firmware version 1.03) - note it's not a Terastation as you've referenced above; don't know if that's significant or not.

I have some screenshots, but don't know how to insert them in this forum s/w.

Monday, March 05, 2007 10:09 PM
  •  

The LM Compatibility fix in the registry does work -

HOWEVER 2 point to be aware of

The name you use MUST be the same as your log in, When I used the Admin it gave me a message that the device already exist.

When looking in the registry the "L" of LmCompatibility is in lower case so it was easy for me to miss.

Now how about the TV Capture Card issues and God knows what else I will find.

Larry

Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Hm - well, I log into my Vista laptop with username 'rhenriksen', password ****, and the only user account with read/write permissions on the share on the Linkstation is a local user account I created on it (ie, no AD authentication or anything), username 'rhenriksen', password ****.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:46 AM
  • I have a linkstation pro, and have the same problem. Error 0x800700B7 "Cannot create a file when that file already exists".

I have contacted the buffalo support, and altough they supplied a patch which i installed, it still doesn't work. I noticed that the patch simply changes the LmCompatibilityLevel value to 2 which i had already done manually.

I also tried doing what this buffalo knowledge base aritcle suggests: http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10080&category_id=8&sid2= and change the NTMLv2 protocol settings to no avail.

As far as I've read it does depend on which version of the linkstation used. So if anyone has managed to backup onto the linkstation pro, please share how to.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Same problem here...linkstation gagabit with dell 410 xps and linksys wrt54gs.  The inability to backup cost me 2 months worth of data when Vista crashed on Monday.  I would really like ot get the automatic backups working soon!
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:37 PM
  • I was able to get your solution to work and thought i would share the details so that you can help others that have the same problem. 

System Info:

Dell E1505 running Vista Home Premium

NAS Info:

Buffalo Linkstation (Firmware V1.30 - I haven't updated my firmware since i bought it over a year ago)

Problem:

I was getting the same error code reported by others in this thread.

Fix:

I followed your instructions with a couple of variations that may or may not make a difference.

1) I set the LmCompatibiliyLevel to "2"

2) I then set up my Linkstation by using the following steps

a)  In the "Security" section of the web admin page i selected "user setup".  I set up the user with the same username and password that I used for my Vista login.

b) Then i went back to the main "Security" section of the web admin and selected "set up shared folder".  I setup my folder name as "vistabackup", left description blank, selected the "Win" radial button, selected the "use" radial button and then hit "next"

c)  The next page gives you the option to assign user access for that folder.  It defaults with all current users selected.  I deselected every user with the exception of the user account i created that matched my Vista login name.

3) I then open the backup application from the control panel and browsed to the "vistabackup" folder that was created on my NAS

4) I then entered my username (which was the same on both the Linkstation user account and Vista system) but i also had to enter the password.  I tried to continue without entering the password but it gave me an error so i entered the password.  Once i did that i was presented with all the options for which files i wanted to back up and have started the backup.  It is only about 40% complete at this point but it seems to be working.  If it fails for some reason i will write back but wanted to share this info with you.

Hope it helps.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 3:34 AM
  • I am having the same problem but apparently have different equipment.  I'm running Vista Ultimate and my NAS is a WD WorldEdition connected to a D-Link DIR-655 network router in our small (3 person) office.  The LmCompatibilityLevel line does not even appear in my Registry.  I get as far as the Lsa folder, but no LmCom... present.

Have tried using computer user name without password, network user name w/ and w/o password, and the drive's username/password, all to no avail.  As with others, I can access drive no problem in all apps but Backup.  I can use Windows XP backup utility from another computer (laptop that leaves office), but the Vista machine is a desktop so will always be here and I need to run the backups from it.

Steve

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Same thing here...

Vista Business -> D-Link DI-524UP -> WD My Book World Edition 500GB

No "LmCompatibilityLevel" in my registry, but having all the same problems as mentioned above... Sad

Hoping for some help...

PS: Why the hell can't you choose a network location as destination for a "complete backup"?!?

Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Dear Associates,

I see two related problems.

I use Vista on a notebook attached wirelessly to a network with an XP SP-2 system that has a 500G drive in it.  I use the XP system for back ups. 

On the initial VIsta Backup Status and Configuration dialog box, when chosing "Complete PC Backup" the network resoruces do not come up as options.  Only the local DVD/CD-RW drive.  The local drive is grayed out as it is not an option.  I expected a choice as in XP to use the network.  What is the network for if I cannot restore the system image?  This, I believe is a bug to be fixed. 

If I simply try to "Back Up Files", I can browse to my network drive but I receive a User name and Password dialog box when I am linking to a shared folder.  Entering the User and Password for the XP system resultes in the "No mapping beweeen accound names and security IDs was done (0x80070534)" error.  First, I do not expect to see the User name dialog box, since this resource is shared and no other application requires it.  Second, if left blank it will not connect me.  These, I also consider bugs. 

I cannot be the only one in the world who wants to back up a Vista system to an XP shared resource.  I would like a work-around at least and ultimately to have this cluncky operation made as easy as XP.

Bullet

Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:59 PM
  • I've just picked up on this thread having spent most of the evening trying to resolve the same problem.

I run vista ultimate on Dell PC (three months old). I have a NAS drive - Iomega Storcentre. As with others on the thread I can access the shared folders and indeed the backup software (Retrospect) also works.

I just want to make use of the file and system backup facility provided on vista - but am asked to input user names and password - which I haven't set. I am struggling to amend (not that I want to) permissions on the security tabs for the NAS folders - these seem to default to 'everyone' with 'special' permissions.

I had pretty much decided to go and buy a usb drive of sufficient size (which I know can work) but then saw this thread and am hopeful that there may be some kind of solution?

Friday, May 25, 2007 9:17 PM
  • I have the same problem - Vista backup won't allow me to backup to a network folder on a D-Link DSM-G600. I can map folders on this NAS from Explorer as network drives and it all works fine, but the Backup tool refuses to accept the password of the user needed to access the share.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:29 PM
  • I have the same issue on a Simpleshare. Did this fix qork for anyone?
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Okay, I have a couple of Buffalo Terastations, and have been struggling with this problem forever.  My problem was similar, but not limited to the backup software.  If 'premissions' is enabled on the Terastation, then the Vista machine cannot log in, unless it uses a guest account with no password.  As soon as it requires a password (which I really want), all is lost.  For the record, no other Windows or Mac on my network has this problem, and that includes practically every OS that Microsoft makes.

I implemented the registry fix above to change the LmCompatibilityLevel from 3 to 2, but this alone was not enough.

When the Vista machine is logging on, it first tries to log on with a user name of Vista\vositis.  (Vista is the name of the machine)  The Terasations are both set up with a workgroup name of WORKGROUP.  (There is a domain server, but they don't participate.)  The Vista machine is also set up with a workgroup of WORKGROUP.

To log into the Terastation, the username must be 'workgroup\vositis' with the correct password.  If it is entered as only vositis, no dice.  'Vista\vositis' no dice.  'terastation\vositis' (Terastation is the name of the NAS server), no dice.  It must be formatted as [NAS Workgroup Name]\[User Name].

The registry change of LmCompatibilityLevel from 3 to 2 IS required.  After I got it working, I put it back to 3 and could not get it to log on.  Putting it back to 2, got it working again.  (rebooting between changes.)  I also tried the backup stuff, and using this username solved that problem too.

Personally, I think this is a bug.  If the Vista machine is set up to use a workgroup, then it should automatically attempt to log into a remote server using that workgroup name, rather than using the computer name as the workgroup.  Otherwise, what is the point of defining a workgroup name?

I also think it is a bug that you must edit the registry to change the LmCompatibilityLevel.  At a minimum, there should a place in the user interface where this can be adjusted, but really, the system should automatically detect the problem, and revert to the compatible protocol.

-VO

Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:20 PM
  • I too am experiencing this issue.  I just installed my first VISTA machine and I use a Simple Tech SimpleShare (250) and a FreeNAS (www.freenas.org) box.  Neither of them are visible to the Backup Status and Configuration utility as the shared drive letter (Mapped as persistent or not).  Additionally when I try to use the UNC it fails saying my uname and passwd are not sync'ed up via AD server. 

The really interesting piece here is that when I d/l the trial for Windows One Care the backup Utility in there sees the mapped drives.

Is Microsoft planning on fixing this or do all home users need to build a 2003 server with AD to use the included backup utility?

for the moment I will be using some rsync tools to backup until this is resolved (soon I hope)

Howard

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:34 AM
  • I want to add my woe to the list. I just got a SimpleTech SimpleShare 500 and am connected to a Linksys WRT54G and running Vista Ultimate on a Dell Dimension 8400. I get the "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done." error when trying to use Vista Backup.

For the record I can not get Retrospect Express to do a backup either on the PC or my Mac. I can attach and copy to all the shares I set up all day long, just no backups. I thought it was me or the SimpleShare.

I have OneCare but removed it when I read about it Nuking Outlook. Maybe its safe to try now and see if I get any further??

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Hey all!

I have a SimpleShare 160 and reading through the entries here, I took a stab at a solution.

My SimpleShare is set in a WORKGROUP and I used the workgroup name 'HOME'  (note the capitalization)

I have user share level access and the user (joe) has read/write priviledges to the fileserver pool.

When logging on with XP, no problem, user joe, password ****, everything works great.

When logging on with Vista, no joy.

Solution:  when logging in and challenge pops up, I typed HOME\joe and **** password.  Voila!  I got in.  The workgroup name was CASE SENSITIVE!

Hope this helps others.....

Sunday, June 17, 2007 3:29 AM
  • No it doesn't... this is the whole point you just cant do a Windows Vista backup to a NAS drive!!!

I have a Dlink-DI624S Storage router and have verrified with the D-Link tech support - they have passed the buck back to Microsoft and until they have a fix, you cant do backups!!!!

Come on Microsoft, get with the program!

Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:56 AM
  • Update: I downloaded the free trial of Retrospect Pro 7.5 (which is an about $50 upgrade from the Express version included in many NAS devices) and it worked just fine! It also included 3 licences so I can do my main home network just fine including my Mac Mini. I wound up buying it after the success, from Amazon. I just want something that works. It's not pretty and it's a bit difficult to use, but with a little effort and a call or two to support I have a backup of my home network.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 6:07 PM
  • ok, i dont know about anyone having problems with a NAS (networked attached storage) but i have figured out the proper way to backup from a Vista Ultimate system to an XP Pro system.

I used to recieve two errors, one was the ID mapping one, that is resolved by having a password on the administrator account of the XP and Vista machine.

the second error was something to do with FULL CONTROL permissions. What you have to do here is disable simple file sharing in Win XP, [folder options > view > disable simple file sharing] once disbaled, when you share any folder on the XP machine a more advanced menu will show up. On this menu click permissions, and tick FULL CONTROL.

thats it, when you start the backup wizard for the network option it will ask you for the XP box's U/N and PWD type that in and voila.

-harpreet

• Proposed as answer by MLindhe Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:01 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2007 10:44 AM
  • Squibcakes, I also have the 624s and the only files i can write to the connected drives from Vista are office type file (doc, xls) can you write any other file types (exe) to your 624s connected drives?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:32 PM
  • I have tried most of the suggestions in this thread but nothing works.  I would agree that Microsoft better do a much better job.  The problems i have had with Vista are enough to push me over the being a mac person.

I just bought a Sony Vaio and wasn't even given the option to go with XP, which I wanted to.  I had heard so many bad things about Vista.  Microsoft are shoving this terrible OS down our throats and it doesn't even work.  It is a step major backwards.  Terrible compatibility and networking.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 10:41 PM
  • I was able to get it to work using the command line wbamdin after changing the registry to allow lower security on LanMan networks. These were both described in previous posts eairler this year.

Friday, October 05, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Can you explain in a little more detail what this command line (command?) "wbamdin" is supposed to do and what

you have got working.

Friday, October 05, 2007 10:12 AM
  •  

First I followed the instructions in this post to lower security:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1284820&SiteID=17

See this post for the command to backup

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1257548&SiteID=17

My command line was this:

wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\NAS-01\backup\ -include:c:

I found the -allcritical switch in the Windows Server 2008 docs. It does a "System State" backup.
    Be sure to start CMD with admin rights (Right Click and choose "Run as Admin")

Mike

Friday, October 05, 2007 5:40 PM
  • For what it's worth I got this to work when connecting a Vista client to Win Server 2003 R2 NAS.  I had the same issues as everyone here but in the end what worked for me was to type control userpasswords2 in the run command on the Vista client and go into Advanced tab and then Manage Passwords.  I found every reference to the NAS (DNS names, ip addresses) and removed them all.  Then I disonnected all working mapped drives to the NAS.  Then I mapped the drive I was going to use for the backup using Map Network drive function first and that worked (I used ip mapping).  Then I went into Backup and Restore and told it this was on a network drive and typed in the path (again using an ip address instead of a server name) and it was able to see the drive and let me proceed to pick what to backup etc and it worked. 

Monday, October 08, 2007 8:06 PM
  • I have the same problem to. I'm trying to back up Vista Home Premium to a LanDrive NAS running latest version Samba. I've tried to contact Microsoft Support Centre but they want me to pay for support and are getting mighty sick of me replying to their emails. I have also tried a few of the practical things suggested on this thread but nothing seems to work. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is but I don't know what the solutions is. The basic problem is that yet again and contrary to laws on anti-competiveness (anti-trust ?) Microsoft has deliberately tried to Engineer the Backup and Restore facility to only work with other MicroSoft products.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:04 PM
  • I also had this issue, and I believe I have found the problem.

The problem exists when the NAS device is running Samba3 version 3.0.23 or lower. There existed a known bug that was fixed in version 3.0.24 for vista backup with Samba3.

You can find the patch information and the BUG ID (4361) here http://us1.samba.org/samba/patches/.

3.0.24 also fixes several other issues with Vista compatibility. The issue with the Backup I gather, is Vista using different accounts for file access. One being the actual account and the other being Creator/Owner.

I run CentOS 5.0 and the latest version of Samba3 on the yum repository is at this time 3.0.23. Therefore, you may have to build it from source or find another binary elsewhere for your distro, if your normal update methods do not show the latest version.

For those running a NAS with uses Samba, you will just have to wait for your vendor to release a firmware update that incorporates this later version.

I am currently using 3.0.26a and it is working perfectly with Vista Backup.

Hope this help!

Friday, November 02, 2007 7:39 AM
  • Well, Harpeet's solution worked for me- I have a laptop and  backed it up to my network (which is my desktop with XP) fine. I had to exit out of the backup completely and start new, but let me add that your first error is actually in reference to the admin's name and password on the drive your backing up to. This is excellent btw since I was seeing a lot of problems in relation to this. Again, I don't have a "NAS" as I'm using my desktop as the back-up medium.Now, if I can only figure out how to print from the laptop to the printer I would be happy.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 5:03 AM
  • I had posted to this thread back in February or March and could never get the Vista Backup to work on my Linkstation Pro.  I just downloaded and applied the 1.11 firmware uprade that was released on 9/04/2007 and I am now able to run a backup from Vista.  My guess is that Buffalo may have fixed the "Samba" issue that existed in the older firmware.  Anyway, it's nice to have a NAS device that works correctly with Vista. 

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:00 AM
  • Ditto here - updated firmware on my Linkstation Pro, and finally have Vista backup functionality. Can't do whole-drive image backups, though. I've got gigabit ethernet, not sure why this feature is apparently only supported on USB-attached local drives vs over the LAN.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:06 AM
  • How did you do: "setting file permissions on the shared network drive to full control for the userid I used at the prompt for userid and password".  In vista, I can't see the Share... option when I right click the drive.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:13 PM
  • I am encouraged to hear that Buffalo Tech have released updated firmware for Linkstation Pro that fixes this problem. Unfortunately my NAS drive is a Buffalo Linkstation Gigabit and there is no corresponding upgrade for that. I am running with firmware version 1.61 release date 04/25/07. I cannot use the Vista Backup with this drive for exactly the reasons discussed in this thread.

Buffalo's tech support have not been able to give me a date, or even been able to promise that they will issue an update. They have, however, accepted that the problem lies with a "slightly older" version of Samba that they are using in the drive's firmware. Hopefully we will see an update sometime soon.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:57 PM
  • TexRyker or just Tex?

I would like some help. Using Vista's Backup Status and Configuration to try and get a full baclup of the entire PC, it seems to find only local drives or DVD device. I have a network drive assigned and accessible with correct permissions. Can this be possbile like one ofthe other posts said, it only recognizes local and USB drives?

Please advise to mark@planosuperbowl.com.

Thanks.

Mark Phelps

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Bullet,

I have the same exact scenario. Please keep me informed as to a solution or workaround. My e-mail address is mark@planosuperbowl.com. Somehow I was able to do what appear to be imcremental backups to the network drive up until recently when it says now it can't find the previous backup. So I am trying to start over with a complete backup.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Mark Phelps

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Exact same message appears when trying to backup to Western Digital NetCenter. Those instructions above are for another machine, I suppose. Strange thing is, the NetCenter is visible from everywhere else in Vista BUT from the Vista backup application which stubbornly asks for username and password (and no matter what you give, it says "Boo! 0x80070534"). KB is in order, but I see no activity since last May...
    Sunday, December 02, 2007 1:27 AM
  • @Mark Phelps.................. You must open "backup and restore center" the click on (under "backup files)  "CHANGE SETTINGS"  then click were it says "CHANGE BACKUP SETTINGS" there it will allow you to recongnize your network drive.

@all.............. I guess I'm looking for a firmware upgrade TY for your posts. 

And Oh yea, my WD external is saying,,,,,,,,,,guess HTML won't work......CLICK

Sunday, December 02, 2007 10:42 AM
  • My thanks to jharry for the answer to the problem!

I also am running Vista Ultimate on my laptop and wanted to backup to my XP desktop on a home office LAN.  When Backup Status and Configuration Control asked for a password, I received the same error message indicating that that I needed full control rights for the share.  When I disabled simple file sharing on the XP computer and gave full control to the share, it works fine.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:21 PM
  • I have the same problem.  The solution did not work for me because when I disabled file sharing I couldn't see the location from my Vista laptop.  Can you clarify what "full control to the share" means?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Thanks Greg!!  After spending an evening trying to backup on my Linkstation Pro, I changed the recommended setting to 2, with no effect, then saw your post.  After downloading the patch from Buffalo, and trying again, it worked!!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Is there any new info about this problem? I am facing this now with my brand new Vista. My network resource is samba on Ubuntu  7.10

about b)

I do not have such a key in my registry. I can find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SeCEdit\Reg Values\MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Lsa/LmCompatibilityLevel

instead.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:12 AM
  •  

Disabling Simple File Sharing does the trick for backing up to a networked XP Pro SP2 machine - thanks jharry/Harpreet!
    Saturday, February 09, 2008 9:58 PM
  • You are awsome!  Thank you!  This works just like it should.  The login needed in Vista to make the backup then was xppcname\username and password.

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:13 PM
  • GmsCool

Oddly, "Backup now" and "Change Backup settings" are greyed out on my Vista box????

How to turn these on?

Bruce

Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Hi. I read the whole thread and tried the proposed solutions, to no avail.

I can't use my Vista Home Premium backup utility to backup files to my NAS (MyBook by Western Digital) attached to my Linksys WRT350N. I can map the share ok and r/w files to it, but Vista backup will not proceed past the 0x800700B7 error.

Firmware on the WRT350N is the most recent (1.03.7) and I cannot modify or patch whatever Samba version they have running. I've reduced my LSA\LmCompatibilityLevel to 2 and tried everyone's tricks.

Suggestion anyone?
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:01 AM
  • Not only Buffalo.  I have tried it on two different IOMega products 150d and the StorCenter series. 

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:00 AM
  • I have read all the posts and nothing has helped. Maybe because I am using a SimpleShare drive instead of a Buffalo but I am having same problems of username password not letting me backup my laptop to the network drive. I do not use passwords on any of my computers  and I can read write to the SimpleShare , plus the 2nd computer and the external hard drivehooked up on the 2nd computer and I have checked the settings in the SimpleShare and no passwords there, but same results when I try to back up to any or the 3 . Asks for a username and password.  Can anyone suggest something for me to try?
    thanks!
    Sunday, March 09, 2008 8:04 PM
  •  RHenriksen wrote:

I tried wbadmin since it purportedly can back up to a UNC path. After the usual fumbling with getting the syntax exactly correct, I launched a cmd window as Admin, and entered the below. Since the backup process *was* able to go to that UNC path and create a new folder/subfolder pair of "WindowsImageBackup\D620", I can't understand why it also thinks that it does not have permissions to write the backup storage location...? Anyone?

=====================================================================

C:\Windows\system32>wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:\\10.20.1.98\rnh\hddbackups\d620\ -include:c:
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.

Retrieving volume information...

This would backup volume OS(CSmile to \\10.20.1.98\rnh\hddbackups\d620\.

Do you want to start the backup operation?
    Yes No y

Backup to \\10.20.1.98\rnh\hddbackups\d620\ is starting.

Summary of backup:
    ------------------

Cannot write to backup storage location.

C:\Windows\system32>

I've attempted to use wbadmin along with the switch "-allcritical" to create an image of my HDD on a network share (small network employing a "Workgroup" rather than a domain). I run this from Vista Enterprise to an XP Pro box. I get basically the same response as you did (i.e. 6 or 7 lines regarding the creation of a shadow copy) and then it stops with the following message: "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done"

On the XP box, I've disabled simple file sharing and setup open access (both read and write priveliges for "everyone", for "Administrators", etc) under both the "Sharing" tab and the "Security" tab under the target drives properties.

I've tried setting the user names and passwords identically...no joy!

I've tried using the registry hacks posted here (both "2" and "0")...no joy!

I've tried using "Net Use" in the cli...no joy!

I have no trouble using the GUI in Vista to schedule regular backups to the same network share...I'm beginning to wonder if creating a drive image with wbadmin only works if your part of a domain and not in a "Workgroup"??

Anybody got an idea????

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:39 AM
  • I have a Linksys WRT350N router with NAS with a MyBook 1TB disk

Same problem

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:48 AM
  • I am having the same issue trying to back up to a networked WD drive.

When I tried the fix that seemed to work for most I run into a snaq. When I go mycomputer-tools-folder options-view I don't have an option to "disable simple file sharing" . Does that mean something as far setup ? Any advice would be appreciated
    Monday, March 17, 2008 8:27 PM
  • I reported the problem to LaCie and they told me to install two patches from their website.  Here's what they were supposed to accomplish...This update will give you Twonky v4.4.2, updated iTunes server, Samba 3.0.24 for improved Vista compatibility, as well as a few other minor updates and bug fixes.The fix worked, I'm updating my Vista computer right now.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:47 PM
  •  TexRyker wrote:

So far from my research on this the best overall instructions I have come up with to attempt to make this work with the Buffalo Samba setup is as follows... (Just perform these steps then run the backup & restore center)

a)      On the terastation share configuration you need explicitly make a particular user have “write” access. This user name should be used for backup configuration.

b)      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel needed to be reduced to 2 on the Vista machine

c)       In the backup configuration wizard, only the username needs to be provided and the “machine\username” format is not to be used

To be honest with you I do not have one of these infront of me so I need someone to try it out. If you can make it work can you please take screenshots and provide a detailed writeup of how you were able to get yours to work? I would like to see if I can make a KB or similar out of this.

Thank you,

TexRyker

I would just like to confirm one thing:

I am using a DLINK DNS-323 and i was trying to use it as a backup device for Backup EXEC but i kept getting access denied errors I have tried everything. Except (c) i changed the credentials in BE to administrator instead of domain\administrator and the access denied errors went away. Hope this helps anyone.
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Budcook,

I am running a Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini - Home Edition with Vista and having the same problems as everyone else.

Are you running the same model of network drive? Did the downloads work??!

Please could you post the links to the downloads here. Thanks in advance.

Monday, June 02, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Try turning off your User Account Control and see if that works.  I couldn't save to another computer or network drive in some instances without turning this off.  Go to Manage User Accounts under Users in Control Panel and you can turn this option on or off.  You'll get notices in the system tray that there's a problem but just ignore it.  It's made my life much easier.  I still don't like the Backup System with Vista, I'm looking for another option.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Your suggestion resolved my issue were I was unable to copy or backup some .doc files.
    Mapped a drive using "connect as a different username" put in just admin with no password.
    This had been driving be crazy. Thanks a million!
    pb   
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:45 PM
  • I have a WD-Netcenter, and my Vista machine was displaying the same problem. I changed the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel to 2. Then I opened the backup status and configuration utility. When the log in window came up, instead of putting "admin" (or whatever name that you use for your network drive administration), I simply entered the path like "\\Wd-netcenter\backup" and entered my administrator password in the password box and it worked like a champ.
    Hopes that this helps.
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:18 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issues with my ICYBOX 4220, no matter what i do the built in vista back up will not work on either my 64bit Ultimate ed or the 32bit version on my laptop.
    I'm getting either the "No mapping between account names and security ID's" This is when i use the [Workgroup]\[Userid] Method
    Or the "cannon cteate a file when that file already exists" when just using the UserID.

This problem seems to have gone on forever when is a fix coming out?
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:57 PM
  • I tried this fix & it worked fine thanks.

Michael

Monday, September 08, 2008 11:19 AM
  • I am having the same issue with errors during the back up process.  It would create the shadow file prepare the files and then error out.  I am using Vista on my laptop and I also have a desktop with XP Pro.  I am using a spare drive on my XP Pro machine to back up both computers.  I just have to say that you are a genius!  It was the simple file sharing setting that has been plaguing me those whole time!!!!  I did what you said and then gave the 'everyone group' full control.  The back up is working perfect now.  Thank you!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:39 PM
  • D-link DNS-323 same problem as reported by all on this thread.  Updated firmware from 1.03 to 1.05, which specifically mentions Vista support as a fix and Samba 2x to 3x, and it fixed the problem.  Ran the backup setup and works fine. 

Monday, September 22, 2008 1:41 AM
  • I am having the same problem on a Dlink DSM-600. Vista Backup and Restore even creates a directory on the drive but then error's out in the same manner as above. Worked great with XP, but Vista doesn't. I now have 2 Vista machines and am considering downgrading back to XP. 

Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:30 PM
  • I would not do that. Vista will come along. I had an issue that would not allow a video stream to work until I found out it was the vendor of the video stream and NOT Vista. I made due by buying a cheap enclosure and a not so cheap external hard-drive and used a USB connection for Backup. Just food for thought.

Mark

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:29 AM
  • Just purchased a HPMediaVault and had the same problem attempting to use Vista's backup capabilities that so many others have had.  Got a request to enter a user name and a password to access \\HPMEDIAVAULT\Backup\.  No matter what username/password combination I used, I got the "0x80070534" "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."  Finally, it occurred to me that the software is trying to map the username indicated to the specified names it has in its "Security" properties:  I went through the process again and this time specified "Everyone" with a "garbage" password: it accepted it and went to the next screen asking me "Which disks do you want to include in the backup?"

Hope this helps for Vista users.

Gerald

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:55 PM
  • You don't have to can Vista quite yet.  The next time you try to connect to the network drive and you get the request to enter a "User name:" and "Password:" enter "Everyone" as the User name, and anything you want (yep, that's right) as the Password and you should go to the next window, no problem.  The default security setting for access to network drives is "Everyone" so entering it as the User name should suffice, while the request for a Pasword is satisfied with anything entered since it's really not validated but just a requirement for the dialog box itself.

Gerald

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Thanks...that did the trick...what a joke though, I spent an hour on the phone with MS Support and they blamed the hardware providers (Dlink) saying that I needed to purchase a new unit. UBUNTU is sounding better and better...at least now I can run a backup

Thanks

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:44 AM
  • wow, thanks mate

that worked

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:00 AM
  • Are you suing VIsta??  Was one of the computers on your network a PC instead of a MAc?

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Sweet!  This owrked great.  I did the reg edit 3->2 setting first then just did this post!  Backs up fine now.  Bufallo NAS Gigabit.. or something like that...

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:37 AM
  • I had spent hours on this issue - you are a hero!  What a stupid problem!  This worked perfectly. 

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I have same problem here.

My system info: Vista Business, 32-bit Operating System, 3.5G Memory, Intel(R) Core 2 Due CPU, 2.1GHz.

For "Backup and Restore Center", I can use network driver for "Back up files", but cannot use network driver for "Complete PC Backup". I am able to access the network driver from file system.

I have tried to regedit, to set the LmCompatibilityLevel to 2, even to 0, it never works.

Please can someone help! Thanks.

George

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:13 AM
  • George, did you try the Oct 15 post as a solution? Username "Everyone" and any password? I am able to run any type of backup now using Vista's backup and restore. 
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:18 PM
  •  

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply. I will try that method and update you.

Best regards,

George

Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:19 AM
  • I did excactly the same, except that I could not use EXACTLY my Vista logon name (which has a space in in, TERASTATION does not allow spaces)... so seems to work with other user names too....

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:45 PM
  •  

I have a new Vista laptop and am trying to execute a back up using Vista Backup and Restore.  I am having little to no success and have read all these treads and I can not complete the save.  My backup system has XP Home running.  What I have tried:

1.  I can see the target directory on the XP from the Backup application.

2. I get that log-in  and password screen and have been successful getting past that.

3. The backup starts generating the shadow copy and then I get this error Access Denied: (0X80070005).

4.  On the XP, since I have home, I can not easily change the simple file sharing so I rebooted to Safe Mod, logged in as Administrator, and changed the permissions to full control to everyone I could. Then I moved the folder to Shared Documents. 

I still get that error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John

Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:22 PM
  •  

Thankyou for the "Everyone" post, you saved me alot of heartache.
    Monday, December 01, 2008 8:01 AM
  •  

Thank you so much for the help.  Almost resorted to purchasing third party backup software, so thank you for saving me some money!  So much smoother when it's already built into Vista.

Thanks again.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Thanks so much for the "Everyone" post.
    --side note-- How retarded....
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:05 PM
  • ok, i dont know about anyone having problems with a NAS (networked attached storage) but i have figured out the proper way to backup from a Vista Ultimate system to an XP Pro system.

I used to recieve two errors, one was the ID mapping one, that is resolved by having a password on the administrator account of the XP and Vista machine.

the second error was something to do with FULL CONTROL permissions. What you have to do here is disable simple file sharing in Win XP, [folder options > view > disable simple file sharing] once disbaled, when you share any folder on the XP machine a more advanced menu will show up. On this menu click permissions, and tick FULL CONTROL.

thats it, when you start the backup wizard for the network option it will ask you for the XP box's U/N and PWD type that in and voila.

-harpreet

This is the trick! Thank you very much!
    Wasn't easy to find, so let me repeat and stress that this is the trick if you have an XP machine with the disk and want to place the backup from a Vista machine there:

What you have to do here is disable simple file sharing in Win XP, [folder options > view > disable simple file sharing] once disbaled, when you share any folder on the XP machine a more advanced menu will show up. On this menu click permissions, and tick FULL CONTROL. 
    /Mats
    • Edited by MLindhe Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by MLindhe Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:14 AM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:05 AM
  • I am running Vista Ultimate on an HP laptop. I have recently purchased a WD MyBook storage server. When I try and backup to the network drive it doesn't see it, although I can see it in Windows exlorer, so I mapped it using the IP address and it did find it, but when I tried to backup it asks for password and then starts making a shadow copy and comes up with the message "Cannot backup to a network share with Vista - cannot create a file that already exists (0x800700B7)"
    I just wanted to say that I read through all of the posts on this problem and I tried what you suggested Gerald - at the password prompt entered "Everyone" as user and my vista password - and it worked! So thank you Gerald for that post, I had been struggling for hours with this.
    I only purchased my upgrade to Vista Ultimata last week from the home edition which I have been using for a year. I would have thought they would have included a fix to this problem by now in Ultimate looking at the number of problems people have had with it for a couple of years now.
    Many thanks for your help
    Christine
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:04 AM
  • I had the same problem on Vista and Backup and Restore Center, and I solved it changing the Samba configuration on the NAS instead of lowering security on my desktops/shares. I wrote it down here:
    http://svgblog.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/solved-vista-backup-with-lacie-network-space/

Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Except...remember the password you used with welcome.  It worked for me the first time, but now it remembers whatever friggin password I entered.  Now I cannot backup again!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Wow..."everyone" and anything...I would have never guessed, but it does indeed let me back up to my WD MBWE NAS!  Thanks!

Now, if the backup works, I'm upgrading to Win7 so hopefully I'll never see this issue (or Vista) again....

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I am using a LaCie 5Big network drive and had the same problems described on this forum.  I was trying to access a created share (public for the time being) called Vistabackup Description: VAIO-LAPTOP
    I tried most of every thing on here but 'dgardner' was the closest, where at least I got a standard error message box saying password and ID did not match login, instead of the unfriendly 0x80070534 error message.  Getting lost even further in the woods, I tried all user and password combinations to no avail.

I had resigned myself to copying to an external hard drive then copying the data to my network LaCie which rather defeated the object of buying it in the first place.

After a nights sleep, in readiness, I created a couple of directories on the share 'Vistabackup' namely 'Documents' and 'FullRestore'.  I then thought I would try one last time and access one of these directories rather than the share itself.  Entering for the User: VAIO-LAPTOP (this is the computer name)  PW: ******* (the same one as the laptop and the Vistabackup share)  To my amazement up came the Vista Backup object listing, and we were in to the desired destination!  The backup is now merrily backing up as I write.

Doesn't 30 hours just fly when you're having fun?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:01 PM
  • WOW...the Everyone username worked here as well...thanks so much for this answer. I just need to make sure the backup utility can continue to backup automatically and from any user account.

Brian

Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Hi guys,

I've read this post and thought I'd add some comments after working with this for a couple of hours.

The setup is:
    1 Win2008 R2 Server (but could be plain 2008 or Vista or 7 for that matter).
    1 NAS of unknown brand (located at a customer's site).

I created a user on the NAS and on the server; same user name and password both places.
    I could easily browse the NAS from the server - so authentication was basically OK (i.e. no firewall issues).

Trying to back up using Windows Backup from the command line (run as Administrator but I'm not sure that's necessary):
    WBADMIN START BACKUP -backuptarget:"\\NAS-IP\Volume_1\Backup" -include:c:,d: -allCritical -vssFull -quiet -user:NAS-IP\backupuser -password:something -noInheritACL

It failed with the error message:

"Backup stopped before completing.
    Detailed Error: Access is denied.
    Failed to set security for the files and folders under '<backup location>\WindowsImageBackup\<Computer Name>' for the user. Check that the user has permissions to overwrite the previous backup."

A folder for back up was created; but nothings was put in it.

I had used the noInheritACL since the description of this command here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/ru-ru/library/cc742083%28WS.10%29.aspx
    said that it would set permissions to protect the backup, and not inherit the NTFS permissions on the destination.

However, as soon as I removed the -noInheritACL parameter, it worked. (And it shouldn't have been added in the first place anyway since the permissions of the share in the NAS were just fine, allowing only access to the user.)

My reflections on the whole thing: Of course it worked now! The NAS presents a Unix share type (where you can only set permissions to 1 user, 1 group and Everyone. And then the Owner of the object becomes important).

I have not tried making backups with the GUI so I can't say if e.g. NoInheritACL is default here - but that's my guess.

Note that I didn't touch the mentioned Registry key regarding LM compatibility level.

And then my final comment: I definitely see improvements in Windows Backup, but the limitations regarding backing up to a network share are AWFUL - and so is the scheduler!

Regards,

Don Lassini

Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:22 AM
  • I was able to get past this using the following credentials:

Username: everyone

Password: (hit the space bar once so that a single character displays)

Then hit OK

>> you will then be prompted to select what you would like to backup

Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:14 PM
  • <form id="aspnetForm" action="edit" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">
    <input id="__VIEWSTATE" name="__VIEWSTATE" type="hidden" value="/wEPDwULLTEzNzk0MzkwMDlkZEMpty7R2lukRYyoGDAFiw9m2frw" />
    </form>
    Resources for IT Professionals

<form action="/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/f545e8ae-46fc-4bee-bfd8-be1fe1151e04/ff87144b-155e-4d2b-a07e-2919d0f6d9ae/edit" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">

Edit Message

<textarea cols="100" rows="20" name="body">Everyone username works with Belkin Home Base in NAS mode, but not with Netgear WNDR3700 router wich has an USB port - error 0x80070032 (demand is not supported). This seems insoluble. </textarea>
    <label for="hasCode">Resource.HasCodeLabel</label><input name="hasCode" type="checkbox" value="true" /> <label for="reason">Reason</label><input name="reason" type="text" />
    <input title="Submit" type="submit" value="Submit" />
    </form>
    <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script> <noscript></noscript> <noscript></noscript>
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:08 AM
  • Have had similar problem backing up Vista to a NAS.  To do a full backup, I've had to use WBADMIN from an elevated command prompt (i.e. when opening the command prompt right click and use the "run as administrator option").  Once I figured out the WBADMIN syntax I set up a task in Task Scheduler to run it.  However I have had problems with Task Scheduler bringing Vista out of hibernation and then going back into hibernation a couple of minutes later, so I have not determined whether it will work automatically or not.  Basically I use Task Scheduler as a place to store the command so I don't have to remember the syntax from one time to the next.  I run the full backup by right clicking the task in Task Scheduler and selecting the "run" option.

I have the Vista backup GUI run daily incremental backups.  To set this up initially, I also had problems with Vista asking for a username and password, and not accepting the username or password that I use to log onto the machine.  I eventually found that Vista backup would accept the username "everyone".  It needs a password, but I think you can use about anything.

I also vaguely remember that it was important how the NAS was set up (it's been a while since I set this up initially).  I do not have permissions or required logins enabled on it.

Apparently the source of the problem is that the version of Linux Samba that runs the NAS and Vista don't play well together re security and authentication, etc

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:58 PM
  • well, same problem here.  my fix was this:

when backing up my vista laptop to a network drive wirelessly, i had to enter the computer name of the computer to which the drive is connected then enter the wireless router's access password.  worked just fine.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:22 PM