Windows XP MODE Licensing for Corporate RRS feed

• Question

• I read a lot on this forum but i was unable to locate answer.

Question: I am running Windows 7 Professional in corporate environment. Its DELL 6430 Laptop.  I would like to run Windows XP MODE to support our internal softwares.  Do i need to purchase any other license to run WINDOWS XP MODE on my currently installed Licensed  windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Or Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate can have Windows XP mode for FREE!!!

Thanks

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• XP Mode is licensed to run in Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate, no
    additional license is needed.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Consult your corporate licensing agreement terms but in general the requirements for XP Mode are Windows 7 Professional or higher. So the OS will allow you download and run XP mode.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:15 PM
  • Hi,

If you using Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions, you can just download Windows XP mode, which is no need to buy other license.

More reference:

Windows Virtual PC

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:29 AM
  • If the XP Mode instance is configured to use bridged Ethernet, it is now a separate, addressable network node. Is there an additional server client-access license (CAL) required for this XPM instance to access resources on the same server(s) that the Host OS is accessing?
    Monday, December 2, 2013 4:28 PM
  • If the XP Mode instance is configured to use bridged Ethernet, it is now a separate, addressable network node. Is there an additional server client-access license (CAL) required for this XPM instance to access resources on the same server(s) that the Host OS is accessing?

No.  XP Mode has its own license embedded in it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, December 2, 2013 4:54 PM

Possibly. If your company uses user CALS, then you're already covered. 

But, if you use device CALs you may need another. The only place that can get you the "correct" answer is Microsoft licensing. http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

Every other aspect of licensing of VMs is treated the same way as if it is a physical computer, so it wouldn't be a stretch for MS to require a device CAL for XPMode.

• Edited by essjae Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:54 AM clarification
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:43 AM
  • I checked with MS.

You are ok with 1 device CAL, since it is based on a physical device.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:18 AM