none
Virtual Server support on Windows 7 Professional

Question

• I want to install virtual server 2005 on Windows 7 professional. Can I ? If not, will this be supported soon ?

Thank You

Chris

Monday, January 04, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

• as posted by robip
    It is possible! I use Windows 7 x86 but I think the problem is same on Win7 x64, PCA is always blocking the vssrvc.exe (Virtual Server service).

First you should block PCA. I did that by the following way: In the Group Policy go to the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application Compatibility\ and enable all of the Turn off xxx entries. I think if you enable only the "Turn off Application Compatibility Engine" it would be enough but I wanted to be sure and enabled everything, later we are going to restore the original settings. Then go to the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Application Compatibility Diagnostics\ area and disable all of the entries so that we don't come across any DCOM or driver related error.

IIS have to be prepared as well. Requirements are same as in Vista take a look at this link http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2006/10/10/Installing-Virtual-Server-2005-R2-on-Vista-RC1-_2F00_-RC2.aspx you can find the correct settings.
    Restart your computer and then you are ready to install the Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1. Afterwards Virtual Server (VS) should be running and you can check it by Virtual Server Administration Website.

Next restore all settings what you changed in Group Policy and restart your computer. Unfortunately Application Compatibility Engine will detect Virtual server services and block that again. So you have to go to the Virtual Server directory (Usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Server\) and rename the vssrvc.exe to something else (example: vssrvc_newname.exe). Open the registry editor and replace all entry which contains "vssrvc.exe" to vssrvc_newname.exe (path, DCOM object details, etc)
    Finally restart your computer and enjoy Virtual server 2005 at Windows 7 RC :)

I hope It helps for you.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, January 04, 2010 8:59 PM

All replies

• as posted by robip
    It is possible! I use Windows 7 x86 but I think the problem is same on Win7 x64, PCA is always blocking the vssrvc.exe (Virtual Server service).

First you should block PCA. I did that by the following way: In the Group Policy go to the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application Compatibility\ and enable all of the Turn off xxx entries. I think if you enable only the "Turn off Application Compatibility Engine" it would be enough but I wanted to be sure and enabled everything, later we are going to restore the original settings. Then go to the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Application Compatibility Diagnostics\ area and disable all of the entries so that we don't come across any DCOM or driver related error.

IIS have to be prepared as well. Requirements are same as in Vista take a look at this link http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2006/10/10/Installing-Virtual-Server-2005-R2-on-Vista-RC1-_2F00_-RC2.aspx you can find the correct settings.
    Restart your computer and then you are ready to install the Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1. Afterwards Virtual Server (VS) should be running and you can check it by Virtual Server Administration Website.

Next restore all settings what you changed in Group Policy and restart your computer. Unfortunately Application Compatibility Engine will detect Virtual server services and block that again. So you have to go to the Virtual Server directory (Usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Server\) and rename the vssrvc.exe to something else (example: vssrvc_newname.exe). Open the registry editor and replace all entry which contains "vssrvc.exe" to vssrvc_newname.exe (path, DCOM object details, etc)
    Finally restart your computer and enjoy Virtual server 2005 at Windows 7 RC :)

I hope It helps for you.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, January 04, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Sir;
    Thank you for the info. I am assuming I need to download the Vista x64 version ( I am using Windows 7 in x64 mode) that supports Virtual server 2005 ?  Thanks again for the work around.

Regards
    Chris
    Monday, January 04, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Actually I doubt this will be supported any time soon as Virtual PC 2007 handles it for client operating systems. That post I copied above was an old one (as referenced by RC insted of RTM) See this article and if you read close, there's something interesting about XP Professional in there http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708309(WS.10).aspx.  But I'm curious, what is your intentions of running on this virtual server?
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:22 AM
  • I support Identity management applications and want to host Win 2003 / Win 2008 as a platform. I want to use Win 7 as my business laptop and also be able to test in the VM environment.  This would make Win 7 much more viable as a tool for me.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:27 PM