none
Upgrade Windows 2008 to 2012 R2 through SCCM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a task where we have 500+ servers in our environment that are currently running on OS Windows 2008 and our boss team lead us to use SCCM to upgrade to Windows 2012.

I know how to do the in place upgrade but I have questions on the task sequencing in SCCM.

Has anyone done this before and could you give some inside on how to plan task sequencing.

Also, what happens to roles like IIS if we do upgrade through SCCM, do I have to redeploy IIS?

My biggest concerns are the Roles and Features and how to handle them and create task sequence in SCCM?

I am quite positive that our app vendors will say that they do not support upgrade through SCCM and that we will have issues with that part.

Tnx.
    Monday, June 17, 2019 4:27 AM

All replies

• i am assuming you are talking about an in place upgrade from Server 2008 to Server 2012 R using SCCM Task Sequence. if that's the case then its not supported. 

"Use task sequences in Configuration Manager to automatically upgrade an OS on a destination computer. This upgrade can be from Windows 7 or later to Windows 10, or from Windows Server 2012 or later to Windows Server 2016. Create a task sequence that references the OS upgrade package and any other content to install, such as applications or software updates. The task sequence to upgrade an OS is part of the Upgrade Windows to the latest version scenario."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/osd/deploy-use/create-a-task-sequence-to-upgrade-an-operating-system

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:23 AM
  • Hi,

Have you installed SCCM? What's your SCCM version? 

Here is a quick way to install the required roles and features for SCCM.

Add-WindowsFeature UpdateServices, BITS, RDC, NET-Framework-Features, NET-HTTP-Activation, NET-Non-HTTP-Activ, Web-Server, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-WMI, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-Asp-Net, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Scripting-Tools

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 17, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Yes, I am referring to in-place upgrade. I have told a customer that it is not supported but they are insisting on doing it through SCCM so I have to come up with Task Sequence.
    Monday, June 17, 2019 9:39 AM
  • The thing is that Windows 2012 to Windows 2016 are supported in remote upgrade through SCCM but the client want it to use on Windows 2008 which is not supported. They are insisting on creating a task sequence and I am the responsible for OS side (the SCCM person will do the SCCM).

I am mostly interested in what to look out for and what advice can I give  (beside don`t do it that way) from OS perspective (what to look for, task sequence and etc.)?

Monday, June 17, 2019 9:44 AM
  • get a Server 2008, Mount a Server 2012, run the setup.exe /upgrade

/Auto {Clean | DataOnly | Upgrade}

Performs an automated upgrade to Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 volume license editions only.
    When /auto is used, an unattend file cannot be used.
    When /auto is used, Windows Setup consumes ei.cfg, and checks compatibility issues before starting the installation. If ei.cfg is malformed, setup exits silently and logs an exit code.
    Clean: Performs an clean install of Windows.
    DataOnly: Performs an upgrade of Windows, saving only data (and not apps.) If the data-only installation option is not available due to compatibility checks, Windows Setup will exit silently and log an exit code.
    Upgrade: Performs an upgrade of Windows saving apps and data. If the upgrade installation option is not available, or the user needs to resolve an app compatibility issue, Windows Setup will exit silently and log an exit code.
    Setup.exe exit codes: See table below.
    /noautoexit: Not used in Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, if an error is found, Windows Setup does not exit, but instead stops and stays on the setup screen until the user addresses the issue. The installation from that point on is attended.
    /performDU: Not used in Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, Windows Setup checks for Dynamic Updates for Windows Setup.
    Examples:
    Setup /auto clean
    Setup /auto dataonly
    Setup /auto upgrade

if it runs then you might have a chance in wrapping in a bat file and use it in a TS.

i think you issue with the the upgrade Path from Server 2008 to Server 2012 R2 and not the use of SCCM TS.

• Edited by Imad Ubadat Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:49 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:49 AM
  • Imad, the upgrade option doesn't exist for Server 2012 setup.exe. From what I've gathered you have to use an XML answer file to perform the upgrade. You create the answer file using the Windows System Image Mangaer from the 2012 ADK. The component is amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Setup_neutral > UpgradeData = True. I'm still trying to get a working XML answer file as I've not had to use this method before. The hurdle I'm having is the requirement to include a path in the amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Setup_neutral > ImageInstall > OSImage > InstallFrom component. I'm about to try and create a shared folder for the SCCM package I created the 2012 ISO. Then use a script to map the IP address of the system you are performing the upgrade on to variables. Then use the variables to map a drive to the shared folder on the distribution point. We have to do this because we have many remote sites with distribution points and they must stay on the local subnet and not try to download files from our central datacenter distribution point.

Paul

• Edited by PRAMAG Friday, October 18, 2019 12:42 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 12:32 PM