Host Process Rundll32 Has Stopped Working

Question

• Everytime I open my Windows Security Alerts, I get this error....

"Windows Process (Rundll32) has stopped working"

I'm using the new Vista Home Premium.  Anyone know a fix to this problem? I can't get in to the security center at all.  I've had Vista now for one week...since that time i've had to do system restores to correct other issues in it as well several times....

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated...:-)

Signed......missing XP really bad.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hi guys.........

Please follow these instructions to check which software is causing this issue:

1. Click on Pearl (Start Button), in the serach box type:

msconfig

and hit the enter key on the keyboard. It should open the System Configuration Utility window.

2. Click on Services over the top and then at the bottom right corner, put  a check in the "Hide all Microsoft services" checkbox.

3. Click on "Disable All" button.

4. Click on "Startup" tab, and then click on "Disable All" button again.

5. Press OK button and then "Restart" button on the following window. Let the computer restart.

6. Once you're back on the desktop, you'd get a window for System Configuration Utility. Put a check in the box "Don't Show....." and then press OK button.

7. Now, once again check the issue. If the issue is resolved, open System Configuration Windows again and then enable all the services from Services tab and then check the issue after restarting the computer in the same way as mentioned above.

8. If issue is still resolved, enable half of the Startup items from Startup tab and then check issue.

9. If issue occurs again, it means, there's a culprit in the checked startup items. But if issue doesn't occur, then issue could be with rest of the Startup items. Now, uncheck the first half startup items (that were check before), and then check rest of the half items. Check the issue again.......

10. Now, if the issue occurs, then make a note of all the names of the startup items and then follow the same procedure, for them. Now, you need to be careful, as by design the System Configuration will sort all the enable startup items to the top. So, it means all the entries would be mixed on next reboot. From now on you need to make a note of all the entries that you're enabling or disabling........

I know guys it's a bit lengthy process, but trust me it works in both XP and Vista. I'm one of the Microsoft XP/Vista Techs............BEST OF LUCK...........!!!!!!!

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Ok this is an easy fix. I had exactly the same problem.

1. Go to computer, your main drive, program files, common files, Ahead, DSfilter.

2. Rename "NeroVideoProc.ax" to say "1NeroVideoProc.ax"

3. Rename "NeVideo.ax" to say "1NeVideo.ax"

4. Reboot

5. Problem fixed.

That's it!

It started for me just after I installed Nero. It's not Vista.

This was passed on to me by someone in a forum and now I'm paying it forward.

J.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:52 PM

All replies

• Try doing a search for the file rundll.exe and if there is a rundll.exe in any other location than %system drive%\windows\system32\ delete the file(s)
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:24 PM
  •  

Just to be safe....this is my search results.  Which ones do I remove?

Name                         Type               Folder

1.) rundll32.exe.mui           MUI File          en-US (C:\Windows\System23)

2.) rundll32.exe.mui           MUI File           x86_microsoft-windows-frundll32_resources_31bf3856sf364 blah blah blah

3.) rundll32.exe                 Application        System32 (C:\Windows)

4.) rundll32.exe                 Application        x86_microsoft-windows-rundll32_31bf3856ad blah blah blah

Just don't want to remove something I shouldn't.

Thanks for your response!

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Ok this is an easy fix. I had exactly the same problem.

1. Go to computer, your main drive, program files, common files, Ahead, DSfilter.

4. Reboot

5. Problem fixed.

That's it!

J.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:52 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and I don't have Nero installed - any other ideas???
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:11 PM
  • Thanks Caribbean James!  I just started having this problem and this was the first site I pulled up looking for info on how to fix it.  Since I just recently installed Nero 7 essentials I followed the steps and renamed the files. It worked perfect, thanks a million.

C.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 7:46 AM
  •  

Thats great for you Nero users...BUT, I DON"T have Nero on my PC and still have/had the same problem.  I fixed it a few times with System Restore, but after about the third one..my system restore crashed also!!  I returned it to the store I purchased it to seek help from the Tech people there and they didn't even know how to navigate vista.  That was very promising..NOT. lol....So, I ended up returning my pc and exchanged it for a different one thinking there was just something faulty with the OS in the other one.  Low and behold, I had ANOTHER new tower for two days and the SAME problem happened AGAIN....my windows explorer kept crashing AND the same thing with the rundll file. I could not access my control panel or my security center. So, after two days I  ended up reformatting the entire thing and have not tried to install anything AT ALL on it and it seems to be doing ok so far (week later).  Amazing my old pc with XP lasted 6 years without one reformat OR system restore!!  Now I am in fear of downloading anything at all....even updates for fear of it crashing AGAIN.  Now I have this beautiful new OS and to scared to do anything with it.  There doesn't seem to be any answers out there.  Seems the only solution is to dump vista and go back to XP...the one that works!  Sorry for sounding so bitter...but it's been nothing but a nightmare since I got Vista.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Thanks Caribbean James Worked Great
    Friday, March 30, 2007 9:50 AM
  • Hi guys.........

msconfig

and hit the enter key on the keyboard. It should open the System Configuration Utility window.

2. Click on Services over the top and then at the bottom right corner, put  a check in the "Hide all Microsoft services" checkbox.

5. Press OK button and then "Restart" button on the following window. Let the computer restart.

6. Once you're back on the desktop, you'd get a window for System Configuration Utility. Put a check in the box "Don't Show....." and then press OK button.

7. Now, once again check the issue. If the issue is resolved, open System Configuration Windows again and then enable all the services from Services tab and then check the issue after restarting the computer in the same way as mentioned above.

8. If issue is still resolved, enable half of the Startup items from Startup tab and then check issue.

9. If issue occurs again, it means, there's a culprit in the checked startup items. But if issue doesn't occur, then issue could be with rest of the Startup items. Now, uncheck the first half startup items (that were check before), and then check rest of the half items. Check the issue again.......

10. Now, if the issue occurs, then make a note of all the names of the startup items and then follow the same procedure, for them. Now, you need to be careful, as by design the System Configuration will sort all the enable startup items to the top. So, it means all the entries would be mixed on next reboot. From now on you need to make a note of all the entries that you're enabling or disabling........

I know guys it's a bit lengthy process, but trust me it works in both XP and Vista. I'm one of the Microsoft XP/Vista Techs............BEST OF LUCK...........!!!!!!!

Monday, April 02, 2007 1:32 PM
  • I tried every thing. Cant come right. I am running vista ( which is a curse ) and everytime I try to open a certain file on my computer, I get the rundll message and after that explorer has stopped workin and then it restart explorer. The file I try to open has got all my movie files in it. File size 42 gig. I cant seem to resolve this issue.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 9:49 AM
  • I'm having the very same symptoms.

Every time I do something related to certain image file formats (especially video files) or the folders they are in, I get the notorious error message:

Windows Host Process Rundll32 has Stopped Working

Then Windows Explorer crashes.

Now there are video files in folders that I cannot delete. I've been locked out, and as the administrator I would think that I have access, especially since I put them there.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:20 AM
  • This worked for me like a charm.....thanks a million.  I had been frustrated with this error for months.

Thanks Carribean James!

Renaming those files worked great.

Friday, June 01, 2007 3:15 PM
  • Caribbean James:

Thank you for the fix.  I have had some problems with an oem version of NERO and have had zero help from their support.

Much appreciated.

Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:52 PM
  • For all of you that are having this dam Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working error, here is how i fixed it.

Go into control panel, then folder options, then view and tick Always show icons, never thumbnails. Thats it it now shouldn't come up anymore. It isnt a nero problem, it seems to only come up when folders are opened up that contain video files.  It has something to do with various video codecs bla bla bla. Do this and all should be fine...... 

• Proposed as answer by JamminJodi Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:34 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Here's what I do to get this problem:

Start ~ Control Panel ~ <Under "Hardware and Sound"> Mouse
    Note: The item above this is "Printer" and I have had no problems with this ~ ( just added a network printer ~ tested and all is OK.)

The services I have running within "System Configuration ~ Services" Are:
    Google Updater Service
    InstallDriver Table Manager
    iPod Service
    spmgr
    TOSHIBA Bluetooth Service

Any more ideas anyone ?

I recall reading somewhere that MSM turns on some updater without leaving any options for turning it off. Could this be part of the problem?

Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:26 PM
  • I had this problem when opening the videos folder if it had any mpeg videos in it. I used this idea and it fixed it. Only was doing it with mpeg files and not AVI files. Finally it is fixed for now.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:33 PM
  • i open nero 6 and inmediatrli stop of work what happennnn
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 10:09 PM
  • fgdgf
    Monday, July 02, 2007 8:53 PM
  • kl;lk
    Monday, July 02, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Hi nikky_uv,

thanks, your post was very helpful to me. In my case I had C-Media USB Audio make stop working Host Process Runddll32. This problem I got solved by an update of the Audio software from Windows Vista Professional. On the other hand, I have Nero 6 running and it does not cause any problems. Also, the folder option "Always show icons, never thumbnails" does not effect Host Process Runddll32 in any way.

One question, some off-topic: how can I write with the Opera Browser into this forum?

Best regards

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:28 AM
  • Hi nikky_uv,

thanks, your post was very helpful to me. In my case I had C-Media USB Audio make stop working Host Process Runddll32. This problem I got solved by an update of the Audio software from Windows Vista Professional. On the other hand, I have Nero 6 running and it does not cause any problems. Also, the folder option "Always show icons, never thumbnails" does not effect Host Process Runddll32 in any way.

One question, some off-topic: how can I write with the Opera Browser into this forum?

Best regards

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:38 AM
  • my thanks to you too this solved my problem.  But how did yo9u find out that was the problem?

Peter

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:18 AM
  • Many thanks James!

Changed the file names and AOK.

Just got a laptop, £360, with Nero pre-installed.

System is Vista Home Basic (and how very basic it is!!)

Can't see what all the fuss is about.

I tried the startup solution but it did not work for me.

ATB, mate.

Ted

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 2:14 PM
  • Does this work if for some stupid reason, you deleted this rundll32 file?   I tried to do a system restore, it did not work, I have windows xp media centre - I do not have my cd disk due to the fact that Dell did the download before they shipped my computer.  Do you know how to help me?

This is in response to nicky_uv post

Saturday, July 07, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Thanks Pusta - been driving me bonkers for a week when clicking on any folder with a vid file. Your suggestion has fixed the problem. Seems to be a Vista glitch??By the way also happens when I run Windows Photo Gallery by the way so switched to Infraview which seems to work ok. I guess MS needs to do some fine tuning still!! LOL. Vista has given me some headaches in the past few weeks - see my post on WDMC issues.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:27 AM
  • hi ....

thx Caribbean James it did work.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:16 PM
  • For those having problems with this re their media content then try uninstalling ffdshow and re~install it from the latest download. Then uninstall divx and again re~install from the latest download. This fixed many issues for me BUT is not the full answer to this Rundll32 problem.

My original post (above) still applies.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:40 PM
  • I am using Vista home premium but i do not have Nero Installed. Here is what the Rundll32 error said:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: rundll32.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1

Fault Module Name: StackHash_34fb

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 000af1c9

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 3081

Additional Information 1: 34fb

Additional Information 2: 4d8c2cb9a6802f91ef136aa24162180c

Additional Information 3: 77fc

Additional Information 4: acc62efaceed3dc5aa7ab5ce53b44ae8

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 346252731

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:26 AM
  • OMG this worked for me too James.  Thanks a million.  I had no idea what the dealio was.  I cannot uninstall Nero 7 as it crashes the Windows Installer with same error....Stopped Working....but as long as that other error is gone...I am happy.  Thanks again.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:51 AM
  • There are a lot of posts on this subject.  Picked yours to reply to .  Had to tell someone.  I, like many of you have MS Vista Home Premium on a new Dell computer.  After reading many of the posts to select a way to resolve my problem it became clear that the Apple QuickTime  I just installed was the problem.  Uninstalled it.  Problem solved.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:56 AM
  • Still working on mine as I've already got rid of Apple and used the lite alternative. Between them and since, I still have this problem.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Hi JTC247m

how did you fix it, I don't see that in the thread.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Thanks Pusta, I have a Sony Vaio, now is working very good, your tip is excellent.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Thanks for the help! I have to agree that the NERO suite never worked on my WIN2K laptop and they wouldn't give me a refund. So now I have a new Vista box and got this error too. I'm not surprised that it boils down to NERO as being the culprit. As for those who don't have it installed. You still probably have other after market Multimedia packages which include the various codecs that someone else was previously talking about. And I also agree...that is yada yada yawn.
    I can't wait for the day all this techno *** goes away and we all can just be productive instead of having to be our own IT Tech Help. Thanks for paying it forward bro.
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:00 AM
  • Im having the very same symptoms.

Every time I do something related to certain image file formats (especially video files) or the folders they are in, I get the notorious error message:

Windows Host Process Rundll32 has Stopped Working

Then Windows Explorer crashes.

Now there are video files in folders that I cannot delete. I've been locked out, and as the administrator I would think that I have access, especially since I put them there.

I  have the same issue... how can I solve it... I'm a video editor and I'm like this to lose my Job.... to edit videos i use Adobe Premiere and Encore DVD, i cant import my videos!!! I cant play any movie file mpeg. mpg. mv2. etc... its crashes just like this guys said.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:50 PM
  • i dont see any folder option in control panel....

Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:53 PM
  • hi, i`m using adobe premier, and i have this problem, rundll32 has stopped working. now, i go to the control panel and folder options. lets take a prob.
    sorry, my english is very bad...
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:14 AM
  • its work Smile)

control pabel>folder options>always show icons,never thumbnails
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:39 AM
  • go to control panel switch to classic view you will find folder options fix is very easy and works great thanks pusta

Friday, August 31, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Good Morning,

I've been battling this problem for several weeks - new HP computer with Vista. HP tech support couldn't help me, I couldn't find a solution online - took matters into my own hands - did some research, think I got a solution - seems to work so far for me. The only thing that I'll make people aware of, is that when you get to the last step (the final window) if there are programs already listed there, leave them checked - I unchecked some, and they stopped working, I rechecked them, and they work fine. So - don't uncheck, just add the program "RunDLL32.exe" - Vista will tell you that this is dangerous, but I did it and it works fine. Best of luck and please let me know if this solution works for you - and if it does, please spread it around to some of the other hundreds of forums where people are having this same problem.

Regards,

B

Change Data Execution Prevention settings

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats by monitoring your programs to make sure they use system memory safely.

If you choose to protect all programs, you can still turn off DEP for individual programs. If you suspect that a program does not run correctly when DEP is turned on, check for a DEP-compatible version of the program or an update from the software publisher before you change any DEP settings.

1. Click to open System.

2. Click Advanced System Settings If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Under Performance, click Settings.

4. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

To turn off DEP for an individual program

• Select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK.

If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the executable file for the program (it will have an .exe file extension), and then click Open.

Friday, August 31, 2007 4:10 PM
  • I was getting this problem every time Win Explorer tried to make thumbnails for mpg files.  Somebody suggested renaming or unregistering a codec called lmpgspl.ax, found in Windows\System32.  I renamed it to 1lmpgspl.ax and that seems to have fixed it.  Not sure where the module is used, but so far I haven't noticed any ill effects from its removal. 

(Isn't turning off DEP for rundll32 a bit risky - it is used by lots of applications??  )

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:35 PM
  •  

You are a lifesaver! I was at my wits end until I read your post about changing my folder options and tried it. I even considered a system restore!

Thanks again for this post. Hard to believe all that irritation and I just had to view my pics and videos differently.

Thanks again!!

Thursday, October 04, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Solved by installing the last Intel VIIV update from here.

Be patient because it's a quite long process but eventually it works!

Be carefully with DEP because it can cause a lot of programs to stop running (Program xxx has stopped working...).
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:07 AM
  • Where do you type in rundllre.exe? I am not sure what window you refernce - Thanks

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:31 PM
  • thank you pusta my problem is solved now

Friday, November 09, 2007 3:01 AM
  • I have tried every single suggestion on this thread and I have no idea what to do anymore.  I do not have nero installed and nothing else has worked.  I am trying to edit a movie as a christmas present for someone and I am not able to access the file because of the rundll32 error.  Please help me!

Thanks

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Here is how I got my file up and available:

Forget Vista for now : enough people following my advice will get them up and running to fix this problem !

Go to www.pclinuxos.com and download the iso for 2007. Burn to a cd as an iso and leave it in the tray as you do a reboot. ( You may need to enter your bios setup to have your system boot from the cd first if you changed it at some time ).

As you now have a live cd working for you, access your windows drive and open the file in any media that suits you and save a copy back to your drive in another format that you believe you can at least open.

If you believe this will not work then visit the pclinuxos site and learn how to install it to your hard drive as a dual boot to Vista. Then enjoy free updates and software packages that will have no problem dealing to your requirements for video editing.

I have the dual boot setup mentioned here, and am replying to this thread from PCLOS right now. I find that video editing and burning is much more efficient albeit that I need to go across programs once in a while.

Regardless ~ enjoy and take the frustration of not being able to do anything out of your life.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 6:41 AM
  • I didn't want to turn off thumbnails so I went with the other solution, renaming the two nero files. It didn't work for me; the problem was still there. So I uninstalled Nero and that's it; everything is ok now.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:36 PM
  •  

I had the same problem and i think i got it when i downloaded something from limewire. Whenever i opened internet explorer i got that message. I also got random ad pop ups from adssite on my computer so i looked into that to see how to get rid of it. It told me to go to Add/remove programs and remove 2 programs by the name of "adssite" and another one which i forgot but was underneath, it should be easy to distinguish. After i deleted these internet explorer was working fine again. I dont know for sure but i think the message is from the adssite program. So if you have both problems give it a shot, hope it works Smile
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:59 AM
  •  nikky_uv wrote:

Hi guys.........

msconfig

Hey, I tried your steps and unfortunately none of those services are causing the problem. I disabled all of the non-Microsoft services and the error still ocurred.

When I boot up I get a window that says Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements have stopped working.
    I click to check online to find a solution and nothing happens.

Here is the Problem Signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    SynTPEnh.exe
      Application Version:    9.0.1.5
      Application Timestamp:    455a595e
      Fault Module Name:    SynTPEnh.exe
      Fault Module Version:    9.0.1.5
      Fault Module Timestamp:    455a595e
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    000000000001d43a
      OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    ace9
      Additional Information 2:    249282fe0c0b5d4c9132934aa268fbd2
      Additional Information 3:    1f58
      Additional Information 4:    a01c543e5f3e02099ea20bfff6c1d5d1

When I open the control panel and try to go into the mouse settings, all I get is that dll error: Host Process Rundll32 Has Stopped Working. The mouse settings window does not open.

I have a HP Pavillion laptop, OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Despite the error, my touch pad works fine as far as I can tell.

This problem started after I ran Wise Registry cleaner. I don't have Nero like a lot of people in this forum. I do have Roxio 9, but have had it since I got the laptop and never had a problem.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:48 PM
  • have same host problem

Monday, December 03, 2007 12:01 AM
  • I think I found the problem on my machine.  I upgraded from WinXP to Vista Ultimate.  It appears that I have experienced both the application crashes due to viewing thumbnails in folders and getting the rundll32 process error.

To get rid of the rundll32 process error, I had to get rid of a startup item called:

"NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display Driver, Version 162.22"

Rundll32 was loading "NvCpl.dll" from the windows/system32 folder.  When I unchecked the item, I no longer got the runddll32 error at Vista startup.

Secondly, I noticed the thumbnail folder crash issue had gone away when I installed the "Cumulative update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB941229)".  Use your Windows Update tool in control panel to locate and install this update.

Things running better in Vista now!

FYI, I had Nero installed in the past...deleting it didn't fix my issues.  Seemed legacy drivers from my old XP days were still causing issues for Vista.

Monday, December 03, 2007 11:05 PM

• Hi all, am a real newie to forums and getting very confused who is giving who answers and which answer was helpful to who??

Please HELP! I am experiencing similar problems with query posted by Hansel Jr on 13 Aug 07 at 4.50am!!!

I can open folders .doc etc, images/photos with jpegs but have problems with mpeg videos - active prompting of Host Process RunDLL32 has stopped working is persistent.... Every folder/files that associate with mpegs are affected!

So far after two weeks only once did my computer crashed! I can still work and edit video thru my DVD program (with interruptions of RunDLL dialog box).

Okay... I too have recently bought my desktop from Dell....
    Programs installed are:
    Ulead Video Studio 11 Plus
    Microsoft Office 2000
    Nero 7 Essential...

Have done and changed these actions - still problem persists -

Rename following two files in folder:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\"

NeVideo.ax -> NeVideo.ax.old
    NeroVideoProc.ax -> NeroVideoProc.ax.old

4. Reboot

Am afraid to do the wrong thing...have to restall OS Vista Home Basics once and now cannot even use Intervideo DVD 8 player! after re-installing it....

Help.. KimPen

me again... back at 6.58pm... found the answer... see post by Pusta 14 Jun 12.47pm
    IT WORKS   Thankyou Pusta. Please excuse the above blah de blah blah... was at tatters'end...
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:12 AM
  • hi carribean james

i just wanna say thanks for your wonderful advice. it was frustrating trying to figure out what the heck my problem was.  anyone out there with a similar problem, please follow the above advice and all your trouble with rundll will be over in a jiffy.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 3:23 PM
  •  Illusiononly4u wrote:

Everytime I open my Windows Security Alerts, I get this error....

I'm using the new Vista Home Premium.  Anyone know a fix to this problem? I can't get in to the security center at all.  I've had Vista now for one week...since that time i've had to do system restores to correct other issues in it as well several times....

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated...:-)

Signed......missing XP really bad.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:44 AM
  •  

Wow.... Friends its works perfectly fine.. after Renaming the File.. but will be there any problem with Nero? thanks a lot for your tips..

Cheers@ Shinevur

Friday, January 04, 2008 10:46 PM
  • This worked perfectly for me on a brand new laptop which has vista and nero loaded. I am a first time laptop and vista user after yesrs with a desktop. I also have a wireless card. Should I expect many more Vista problems ? 

Sunday, January 06, 2008 10:00 PM
  • I am having ths porblem everywhere! In any program at all, i click save file as and if i click computer or desktop etc it says rundll has stopped working all that in any program even when i add a program to the firewall! How can i fix this!!?
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 4:54 PM
  • sorry for the double post but i have tried everything including replacing rundll32. I did alot of things and nothing worked.
    Monday, January 14, 2008 9:46 PM
  • This is the best process to follow if you receive the "Host Process Rundll32 Has Stopped Working" issue.

My issue ended up being the "NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 169.04" <- "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

I had only this process checked in the Startup and the error occurred. I unchecked this process and checked all the other process' and the problem did not happen.

Thanks NIKKY_UV!!

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:03 PM
  • This worked for me as well.  I only had 1 of the files mentioned, not both, but renamed it and it worked like a charm. 

Thanks Carribean James!

I had been searching for a fix forever and finally that annoying problem is fixed.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:08 AM
  •  

Some of us dont have nvidia cards though, most of us might but some of us dont. Now a fortunate thing i found out was that it was one of my programs was messing with it. I had to restore mymputer because the hardrive died anywho but when did i installed one program at a time and tested tsavign stuff etc and amazingly engough speemypc3 was the culprit, it seems that it isnt one of the compatible programs either so yeah. I suggest you all find out which program u have that messed it up if its not nero or nivida! I dont know how you will do it but its worth it, now i dont have the annoying error everytime i save in any program!
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:20 AM
  •  

once again srry for the double post but pretty much any program like speedupmypc3, porgrams that clean up your computer or fixes the registry you should have some ? about using them with vista even if there vista compatible, speedupmypc3 is and its doin this so yeah.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 1:40 AM
  • James, thank you SO much for this.  Instant solution to a very anoying problem.  Hope if I u/g to Nero 8 I will not have to repeat but, if I do, I will know how!!

Jim Smith

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:57 PM
  •  Caribbean James wrote:

Ok this is an easy fix. I had exactly the same problem.

4. Reboot

5. Problem fixed.

That's it!

J.

Hi there,

New to this particular forum though not new to computers or forums.  Thanks a million Caribbean James, this particular fault has been driving me nuts for weeks now, ever since I installed Nero7 Ultimate which is supposed to be Vista compatible - not convinced.  I have tried restore, uninstalling Nero which then gave me another error (advrcntr2.dll), reinstalling my entire HD from Acronis (thought this didn't work as the fault was also in the image) and I was on the point of reinstalling Vista when I came across this forum and your post.

Fault fixed and all seems to be working OK.  Another way around it is to go into Control Panel, folder options and tick never show thumbnails only icons - this workaround also works.

Thanks once again.

Faust

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:16 PM
  • Caribbean James is a hero. Can he tell me how to get all my hair back now?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:03 AM

• Mine must be in real trouble
    I got the error with every thing turned off
    going back to xp is looking like a better option

thanks
    dljim
    Friday, February 22, 2008 5:10 PM
  • I'm having basically same problem you guys are having.

only thing is when I try to delete my history and all on-line content

is when I get my message.

Thanks

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:58 PM
  • I Have tried everything . Every mention of Nero was deleted from my computer and still the problem.  This solved the problem.
     I had changed video cards and a program called NVIDIA.COM was still in my startup.
    Thanks alot Now if I only can get my Icons back.
    Jim
    Friday, March 07, 2008 2:57 AM
  • i have followed this and the problem was in the first half of startup items, so i ticked them off one by one and kept restarting, i finaly found what it was it is:

NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 169.06  (NVIDIA Drive)

Command:     RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Widows\System32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart

I have left this Disabled is it ok to leave it permently disabled or is there something else i need to do?

Thank You

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Hello everyone,

Im having a problm with my Laptop, i cant connect with My internet,rly weird and i Think its the Wireless (it dont blink ) and also when i go To control panel  / ( Intel(R) Proset/Wireless Tolls ) it give me error  it says ( Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stoped Working..... Can anybody plz Help me plz plz plz im frustating =( and i Also  tried every single thign  on the threat ....jesus Vista is nice but Glitchy

Btw ive done evrythign right ive pluged in  the Rooter on my Main PC and  i also can see my  Internet Divice i jsut cant Connect with it it says ( Windows cannot connect to (NetGEAR_killozors) (thats my internet account ) and i rly need help =(

Plz help the homeless xD
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:37 AM
  • thanyou so much, you're a godsend.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 3:01 PM
  • All right guys Im having the kinda of same problem and I have tried everything that I been reading here.  My problem is when I enable SLI In my system and I restart I get the RUNDLL error, and my video drivers are turned off, so i have to reinstall them heres some of the erros.

Problem signature

Application Timestamp: 4549bb52

Fault Module Name: themeui.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d345

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000001e19d

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 506e

Additional Information 2: 0da552e616b31960db4e3f6cee1c0ac0

Additional Information 3: 3a1b

Additional Information 4: 5e7716dddc597d0deb97d97792427347

Bucket ID: 231864

This one is from my video card EVGA 7900GTX

Description

Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 43.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode

Architecture: x64

Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0290&SUBSYS_034310DE&REV_A1

Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

PnP problem code: 0000002B

Driver name: nvlddmkm.sys

Driver version: 7.15.11.6925

Driver date: 12-11-2007

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Files that help describe the problem

DMI6264.tmp.log.xml

LOG62E2.tmp

oem9.inf

Like some one said above I disabled the Nvidia helper device but is not working out for me.

Just in case it helps Im running on a

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athalon 64x2 4800 2.41

4 Gigs of dual ram

dual evga 7900gtx

AND THE LOVELY WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE 64 BIT (sarcasam)

Saturday, March 29, 2008 5:19 AM
  •  

Disable Windows Error Reporting Service in SERVICES this will stop the messages from popping up but will not fix the problem
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  habblie wrote:
     nikky_uv wrote:

Hi guys.........

msconfig

Hey, I tried your steps and unfortunately none of those services are causing the problem. I disabled all of the non-Microsoft services and the error still ocurred.

When I boot up I get a window that says Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements have stopped working.
    I click to check online to find a solution and nothing happens.

Here is the Problem Signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    SynTPEnh.exe
      Application Version:    9.0.1.5
      Application Timestamp:    455a595e
      Fault Module Name:    SynTPEnh.exe
      Fault Module Version:    9.0.1.5
      Fault Module Timestamp:    455a595e
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    000000000001d43a
      OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    ace9
      Additional Information 2:    249282fe0c0b5d4c9132934aa268fbd2
      Additional Information 3:    1f58
      Additional Information 4:    a01c543e5f3e02099ea20bfff6c1d5d1

When I open the control panel and try to go into the mouse settings, all I get is that dll error: Host Process Rundll32 Has Stopped Working. The mouse settings window does not open.

I have a HP Pavillion laptop, OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Despite the error, my touch pad works fine as far as I can tell.

This problem started after I ran Wise Registry cleaner. I don't have Nero like a lot of people in this forum. I do have Roxio 9, but have had it since I got the laptop and never had a problem.

Habblie, I had the same problem as you describe.  I have a HP Pavillion DV6500T running Vista.  My touch pad was working, but I could not access the panel to change the options (I wanted to disable it).  When I tried to access it through Control Panel I got the Host Process Rundll32 Has Stopped Working error.  I was able to fix it by going to the HP site and downloading the Synaptics Touchpad driver and reinstalling it.  Works fine now and no more error message

BTW, I have lost this driver and the video driver twice each.  I don't know why, I just take it out of stand by in the morning and things aren't working right.  It must be Vista, I never had these kind of problems with XP.  I wonder if SP1 will fix this kind of stuff.

Dave.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:03 PM
  • Combining nikky_uv's post and a few others which mentioned the nvidia driver loader, I decided I'd try disabling it first, to see if I could get "a hole in one", and sure thing, it was the cause of the ever so annoying rundll32 error. And to make it even more ironic, I don't even have an Nvidia card in my computer anymore, I replaced it with a Radeon. Anywho, thx to all parties involved for all your input and best wishes to you!
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:01 PM
  • No one seems to have checked their event log yet:

Open Control Panel (via the start menu orb of power thingy)
    Select "Administrative Tools"
    Select "Event Viewer"
    On the left hand side select "Windows Logs" and then "Application"
    This will open a list of events that occured due to applications (software) running. The top of the list is the most recent stuff, look for entries under the "source" column such as "Windows Error Reporting" or "Application Error", noting the time and date that the events happened for relevence.

Here are some examples:

Windows Error Reporting:
    Fault bucket 372820037, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: None
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: RunDLL32.exe
    P2: 6.0.6000.16386
    P3: 4549b0e1
    P4: HTMpegVD.ax
    P5: 1.0.1.2
    P6: 405737fa
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 0000bc1a
    P9:
    P10:

Application Error:
    Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6000.16549, time stamp 0x46d230c5, faulting module HTMpegVD.ax, version 1.0.1.2, time stamp 0x405737fa, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000bc1a, process id 0xd8c, application start time 0x01c8a57dce979042.

In both cases you'll see our old friend the ax codec. In my case it was a Honestech (FLY2000) TV card codec, but it could be any codec that is not fully Vista compatible. Which is why the Nero fix doesn't always work!

OK so now do a search for the ax file and rename it, I usually add my initials to the end of the filename so that I'll always find the file quickly and also the original filename will remain intact. So for the HTMpegVD.ax file I'd change it to:
    HTMpegVD.ax.bj
    where bj are my initials.

The "Folder Options -> View Tab -> Always show icons, never thumbnails" does avoid the problem but it's a band-aid solution. Whereas IMHO this will actually fix the problem.

And now it's time for all techies everywhere to enjoy some and pop.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:05 PM
  • 100 times thanks. This is the only thing that worked for me. tnx tnx tnx
    Monday, April 28, 2008 5:51 PM
  •  

Hello and many thanks for your post, it is very informative.  When I open the log and find the error it says "faulting module unknown" and it is related to generating video thumbnails.  How do I find which *.ax is causing the problem?

Cheers

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:17 AM
  • where do I do a search for that?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:29 AM
  • I wish it was that easy to do this. By the time I get to click on 'program files' the 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' screen appears and will not allow me to go futher. When I delete the screen I lose the prvious 'common files' tab and have to re-start again.
    It's really frustrating!!!!
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:38 AM
  • BRILLIANT! It worked for me! Many Thanks!!!!
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:53 AM
  •  

hey thanks nikky_uv i have been trying to fix this for two days now and you helped alot.  The startup item that was causing the error was ( NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 169.25 ). This was really helpfull thanks :-)
    Sunday, May 04, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Try this. It worked for me:

Go into control panel,

then folder options,

then view and tick Always show icons, never thumbnails.

Thats it it now shouldn't come up anymore. It isnt a nero problem, it seems to only come up when folders are opened up that contain video files.  It has something to do with various video codecs bla bla bla. Do this and all should be fine......

Monday, May 05, 2008 10:50 AM
  • Interesting, but this is what I get when I check my event log...

Faulting application RunDLL32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b0e1, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x006f0063, process id 0xafb68, application start time 0x01c8afafb0d9a3d0.

The issue for me only seems to occur when the computer is idle.  I come back to my computer and find 40 pop-up windows telling me that RunDLL32.exe needs to close.
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

I don't have Nero installed, and videos and images work fine, I have a different problem. I tried changing the theme on my laptop to one which I had downloaded, but when I applied it, the theme reverted to Windows Standard instead. After restarting my laptop, and attempting to change the theme back to Aero I now get the rundll32 message whenever I click on Window Color and Appearance, Theme, or Display Settings in the Control Panel. So now I am unable to make any changes to the themes or appearance of the windows. Running the rundll32 by itself doesn't have any effect.

These are the details in the Event Log:

Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b0e1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00069bc0, process id 0x160c, application start time 0x01c8afb3ef70a009.

I cannot even change the DEP settings as I get a message saying Advanced System Settings has stopped working!!

My laptop is a Toshiba L40-139 running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Please help! Thanks

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Sorry - found out that I didn't patch the system files before I applied the theme! Works fine now.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 2:26 PM
  • i have little computer knowledge and this makes no sense to me. but i tried it anyway... and i have no luck with it.

i followed the steps and everything is still all haywire and i'm not sure if i should undo what i have done or if i can or how i would go about doing that...

i know this is probably an old forum and i'm barking up a dead tree but someone needs to help me :0(

my computer is only a few months old. i dont have any nero on it at all whatsoever. my little brother downloaded some video that i dont know what it is and now its giving me constant errors. and i mean 3 seconds between errors at most.

very frustrating. i can't search for anythin because it restarts windows explorer every time i think of doing something...

i'm lost

Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:53 PM
  •  

i had windows one care (total waste of money and time)and got fed up with this issue not being picked up by one care. i removed it from my computer and downloaded the avg free edition for now until i can afford something else and avg picked up right away that there was a trojan horse attached to my aim 6 folders. i am currently running scans and working towards quaranine of the virus but am not sure if that's what's causing all the mess with the host process error messages... i will keep everyone posted. it's going to be a long night i think.

anyway the name of the trojan horse is

Trojan Horse startpage.cqs

and it attached itself to my uninstal folders in aim6

just thought everyone should know.

Monday, May 12, 2008 3:42 AM
  • I've stayed with this thread since its inception and at times can understand the frustration felt by many when attempting to fix this problem. But here we go again ~ yet another answer for many to concider.

The way I got to get rid of this problem was not to attack the software, but to roll back my graphics driver to a generic one, remove the proper one and go back to the manufactures site to download a fresh driver, install that and since then I've used a registry watcher to inform me of any attempts to change things with future installs. Along the way my rundll32 problem has gone away. ( I use Desktop Maestro ~ paid for version.)

Hopes this helps someone.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 7:39 AM
  • i dont know what all that means. i have limited computer knowlege. i have not changed anything about my video preferences. i dont think. the only thing i can think of is my friend tried to send me a funny video download that was in mpeg format i believe. she told me she was sending it and idk how it came out to be a virus. please help a little more if you can

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:38 AM
  • I have the same problem and I noticed it when my wireless mouse stopped working. I tried opening the sofware that I downloaded from Kensington and that's when I got the message. I was able to look that the problem report and this is what I got.

Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1

Fault Module Name: kmw_page.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.22.4.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 44c64e38

Exception Offset: 0000980c

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Additional Information 1: 60a1

Additional Information 2: 0b221ec63accf06634aa134cc4295c20

Additional Information 3: 3d50

Additional Information 4: ec1ed59055920eae81ed438767d6fa5e

Bucket ID: 348721527

Any ideas please?

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Hi I had the same error on a Vista PC shared by 3 users, This error was only happening on one profile. She had downloaded a song in MPG format. I logged on my Admin profile and recreated her another profile. Copying over just the important keep documents pics , favs etc - But not the songs she had downloaded. I then deleted her old profile from the Control panel Manage users accounts section and not via My Computer or Command Line.. and since then she has been fine using her new profile.

I know it was the file cause when i logged on and went into her profile User/(profilename)/Documents/

I tried to delete the file she had downloaded since the error started. As soon as i tried to delete it I got the same error on my profile

BEFORE DELETING MAKE SURE DATA BACKUP HAS BEEN TAKEN OF IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS.

Monday, May 19, 2008 7:52 PM
  • i have this problem too, just before i remove VB express 2008 from my computer then this error appear along with Microsoft Office 2007 error. So, i just reinstalling my office 2007 then all my problem fix... Wink
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 6:28 AM
  • Here's my problem with the Rundll32 stopped working message:

Problem signature

Application Name: AUDIODG.EXE

Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Application Timestamp: 47919284

Fault Module Name: RtkAPO.dll

Fault Module Version: 11.0.6000.38

Fault Module Timestamp: 4656a98c

Exception Offset: 00074060

Additional Information 1: fd00

Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Additional Information 3: fd00

Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Files that help describe the problem

Version.txt

memory.protected.hdmp

minidump.protected.mdmp

Other information I found is it has something to do with a PSQuar file.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Friday, June 06, 2008 11:53 AM
  • there is a real easy way to solve this doubble click the blocked start up programs go to show or remove blocked start up  programs you will see a whole load of stuff with ticks next to it you need to do two things here 1st thing select normal start up instead of selective 2nd thing take bit longer click  disable all which will un tick every thing                           (under the START UP TAB ) only  then just tick all microsoft stuff leave things like i tunes and nero unticked for time being spy bot and windowes defender are ok also to leave ticked its mostly 3rd party apps that u dont want addobe seems ok as well if any one has a wii and uses the the wifi adapter that will cause no end of probs for a few people all that s left to do now after restart is to repeat the process again but ticking a couple at a time and restarting to see if stiil ok that way u should be able to find what was causeing the prob hope u can make sense of this prob not explained very well

Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:40 PM
  • How about this event ??

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          08/06/2008 0:50:59
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      ACEH
    Description:
    Faulting application RunDLL32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b0e1, faulting module ATIPDLXX.DLL_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4828687a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x01b8b5ed, process id 0x8a8, application start time 0x01c8c8c70ae76aa2.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-06-07T17:50:59.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>3203</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>ACEH</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>RunDLL32.exe</Data>
        <Data>6.0.6000.16386</Data>
        <Data>4549b0e1</Data>
        <Data>ATIPDLXX.DLL_unloaded</Data>
        <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
        <Data>4828687a</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>01b8b5ed</Data>
        <Data>8a8</Data>
        <Data>01c8c8c70ae76aa2</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Saturday, June 07, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Ben,

That did nothing but frustrate me. My laptop was only a week old when the problem started. Now, it's almost two weeks old. I'd already tried all you told me the first night the problem started. I know what the problem is: Realtech. The computer says it's running properly but it is NOT. I've had no sound whatsoever in nearly a week.

I tried redoing this ticking business again, but to no avail, and I don't have the patience to do one or two at a time when I know the sound is not registering. The SOUND is the ONLY problem. No other program brings up the host process rundll32 error.

Please pardon my abruptness, I'm extremely frustrated.
    Monday, June 09, 2008 11:18 PM
  • I fixed the problem with my audio!  I reinstalled the Realtech by doing the setup again! Phew! What a relief.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Wyldflower, did you ever get this sorted out? I have a rundll32.exe problem, but I have never had Nero nor any of the other software mentioned in this thread on my computer. I'm wondering why it isn't possible just to replace the existing rundll file with a re-downloaded one.

Also, people say that the file should be in the system32 folder, but mine is in C:\I386. I wonder if that's a problem?

Ian

(mystified)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:48 AM
  • Hi... Everytime I restart my computer I get to the start up screen and this message pops up... Rundll32.exe and it says... The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the applciation.  & it won't load any further... all that shows up is my background... no tool bar, no folders, nothing... how would i go about fixing this?
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:45 PM
  • GO TO BLOCKED START UP PROGRAMS ON BOTTOM TOOL BAR IF U HAVE NERO BLOCK THAT IF NOT LOOK FOR SOME THING ELSE THAT COULD CAUSE PROBS LIKE IF U CHANGED GRAPHICS CARD IT MIGHT STILL BE LOAD SOFTWARE FOR THE OLD ONE THAT WAS MY PROB ANY WAY JUST TICK COUPLE AT A TIME AND SEE HOW IT GO

Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Yes, I got this problem sorted out a few weeks ago. I did a re-setup of my Realtech and it cleared up the no sound problem.

Thanks for your concern.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:12 PM
  •  

Thanks a had been battling with that for sometime now thanks for the info it worked
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 7:36 PM
  • I got the exact same problem except when I patched I ruined my computer. It's going 10 times slower then usual and I can't change the Theme or Colour.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 12:13 PM
  • un install patch vista is trouble as it is with out patching you just confuse it being vista and all  it look for any reason it can to play up defrag hard drive run spy wear scan if u cant unistall just roll back to the day befor u install word of warning tho if u roll back ur pc to many times it slow it up BIG time done this with my old pc ended up haveing to do a full factory restore and that was on xp a good place to start with the blocked start up would be a nividia (if not use any more)or nero thay useually the ones that cause troubble  

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Simply follow Pusta's instructions and hopefully you should be fine.

worked like a charm. Thanks

D

Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:46 AM
  •  

I tried this, and it worked up until I rebooted my computer. I could not find the box that read "Don't Show" ??
    Friday, July 04, 2008 12:34 AM
  • You are definately my hero of the day!! I have had this problem going on for months. I only wish I had gotten frustrated enough to search for a fix a long time ago! Thanks again Caribbean James!

Monday, July 07, 2008 5:14 PM
  • This solution fixed my problem with the Rundll32 stopped working error that appears in Windows Vista Ultimate everytime a folder is open that contains a video. If anyone is looking for a fix for this and have tried all the others( disabling thumbnail views, Nero explanation of disabling certain files, the Viiv fix microsoft always offers) then I would suggest trying this asap. It has stopped this error and Vista loads much faster as well. I disabled all Nvidia files that were loading on startup using msconfig. Thanks to whomever this anonymous person is, I now don't have suffer everytime I open a video folder and I dont have to disabled thumbnail views(who wants to look at an icon in a video folder?) I will be posting back in case this is only a short term fix but so far it is working.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Hi...

I did but it did not solve it.  It seems I have to uninstall WMP...it may result or make another program the default for the video files... here I go again to test it...

Thanks...

Edvaldo Dortas

Saturday, July 12, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Hey have a differnet problem with this. One time I download a custom theme program called vista Glazz. Well after I downloaded it I couldnt use my theme, and I could not change my resolution.
    I did ok for a time but when I enable SLI for my 2 video cards the resolution got reset. Since the Display settings is broken I cant change it. When I search for rundll.exe nothing came up on my computer. I then did rundll32.exe and still nothing came up. As a last effort I did rundll32.exe.mui and nothing came up once again. I have 32 bit Vista Premium. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to recover the rundll.exe?

Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:04 PM
  • your problem is with ATIPDLXX.DLL_unloaded

my problem is a lot like get2know &brean;
    I was attempting to change my theme but before I even began to mess with any of the files I did the patch+check for "vista glazz" (which by the way, brean - isnt the theme its a program. atleast im pretty sure, it might also be a theme), suggested by the theme creator. After startup my theme went back to standard/classic (whichever name you prefer) and when I attempt to change anything in "personalize" I get the windows host process rundll has stopped working message.
    I thought, at first, that this was intentional..part of installing the theme. But after I installed the theme and it resulted in a "lost" shell32 file (the file was there but either not recognized or the theme didnt install properly, i didnt waste time trying to fix it) which gave me a big huge 32" black screen. After using command prompt to delete the theme files and replace my shell32, my theme is still the standard one. Ive tried re-patching and restarting over and over again but every time it keeps telling me Ive got files to patch and then the standard theme again.
    Knowing I uninstalled Nero months ago because of vista compatibility issues, and after changing my video files view - ive got no change.
    Checking my events though, I found nttdll.dll to be the culprit.
    though there are two of the files and I dont know which is the bad one and where it should be (system32 im guessing?)

Heres the text in case Im missing something or just completely brain dead

Windows Error Reporting:
    Fault bucket 634217171, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: None
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: rundll32.exe
    P2: 6.0.6000.16386
    P3: 4549b0e1
    P4: ntdll.dll
    P5: 6.0.6001.18000
    P6: 4791a7a6
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 00069bc0
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Elizabeth\AppData\Local\Temp\WER34F4.tmp.version.txt

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Elizabeth\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report02da4874

Application Error:
    Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b0e1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00069bc0, process id 0x778, application start time 0x01c8e5b753fa8a00.

Ive been reading forums for almost four hours straight, missed breakfast, and I took the day off from work to figure this out. It's a real headache and I cant stand to read anymore posts. Though after Ive posted this Ill probbaly continue to look around, knowing how long it might take to get a response - much less a fix, and because maybe someone already asked and got an answer but I just havent gone in depth enough to find it.

If youre reading and already posted an answer to a similar question, or saw a fix to something similar, my apologies for being a broken record. A link would be much appreciated.

A huge thanks and clap on the back to anyone that can help.
    Maybe even some cyber cookies? (oohh ={   ..food)
    lol anyway, Thank you
    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:10 PM
  • I just fixed my aero. What I did is rename my:

themeui.dll
    uxtheme.dll
    shsvcs.dll

I added .bak to mine, so that I know theyre my backups. So, themeui.dll --> themeui.dll.bak
    But, of course, you can do yours however you think will be easiest for you to remember/find later.
    Then visit http://www.withinwindows.com/uxtheme-patches/
    Id suggest reading the short intro, just so you feel comfortable knowing what youre doing with your PC
    Then scroll down and find the version of vista youre using, this might be tricky because the patches are given by OSversions. Mine happened to be vista sp1
    (im pretty sure thats what youll need; and not the AMD one!!), in case that matters to anyone. And umm I extracted the patch to my system32 folder and moved the originals (backup) to my documents in a seperate folder - just to be extra sure theyre easy to find later.

I should probably mention that I deleted vista glazz (as should you) and the theme that I first got. Though after this fixed my PC i created a restore point and figured I might as well try to do the theme, which also -amazingly- worked out really well.

Hope that helps you, though I cant be sure.
    If youd like more help, email me ebtkach at gmail dot com. No spam please
    Monday, July 14, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Hi:

Try running SFC /SCANNOW that finds and fixes all sort of System File Corruption in OS.

1.       Click on Start (Pearl)

2.       Click on All Programs

3.       Click on Accessories  

4.       Right click on Command Prompt  

5.       Click on Run as Administrator (It will open the black Command Prompt window)

6.       Type the command: SFC /SCANNOW

7.       Press the ENTER key.

This scan might take some time to finish.

Regards,

nikky_uv

Microsoft Tech Lead

Windows XP/Vista/Home Server

Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  

Hey Pusta,

What you said about changing the folder option works. Problem is, its a real pain when you quickly want to acces your pictures and I have more than 1000 at least! I tried downloading the pics from ny camera into the Windows photo gallery and it said that there were some codec software I had to download from the quicktime website. I couldnt find any such specific download available on the site. What am I supposed to do now?

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Just to let you know this process is lengthy but it solved my problem. My problem stemmed from a RUNDLL32.exe in the NVIDIA driver helper, NVIDIA Media Center and NVIDIA Compatible folders. I did exactly how it is laid out in NIKKY_UV post. When I was going back up with stuff I started in the Services tab and clicked half of them on, applied, hit ok, then restarted when prompted. then I did all the rest, everything worked fine on 2nd reboot, went into startup tab and noticed the 3 RUNDLL32 files and clicked on 17 files including these 3 and when I applied, clicked ok, and rebooted BOOM it was back. So I unchecked them 3 files and checked on the rest leaving only them 3 unchecked. When I rebooted I did not recieve the message again. So i have left them 3 unchecked. I believe what caused this was I bought this computer added a NVIDIA card and then upgraded to an ATI RADEON card and I think the 2 were argueing over who should be running. But alas I won out and all is well in my little cyber world again.

Thanks a ton NIKKY_VU

I can now start up and not worry why I am having this error :-D

Chris
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Just want to let you guys know that my Nero path is not under "Ahead" but under "Nero"

Caribbean James wrote:

Ok this is an easy fix. I had exactly the same problem.

4. Reboot

5. Problem fixed.

That's it!

J.

Another thing...

If the problem persists try using the Data Execution prevention under

Start

Control Panel

System

Advanced System Settings

Performance

Settings

Data Execution Prevention

and try adding rundll32.dll (all occurences) to the list and bob's your uncle!

Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Yes, Pusta!!

Thanks a lot. I had the rundll32 message everytime I tried to do things with video files so checked the box you suggested and it's worked perfectly!! Such a relief it was really getting on my nerves! Cheers!!!!!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:32 PM
  • I had the same problem and no idea what to do . Find your solution here and it solved my problem. Caribbean James thankyou very much .Pete
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Hey.. I had the same problem...
    After a week of trying out all the above said remedial, i found out that the culprit was my new usb mouse. I plugged it out and the message stopped appearing.
    Starting up with the mouse caused the problem. So plugging it in after windows has booted. This is working fine now.
    Probably this might be the case with some others too. Check out.

Arun
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Awesone. This worked foir me, Many Thanks C
    Friday, August 29, 2008 7:00 AM
  • Hi Pusta

Thanks buddy. that really worked for me. I was so much in trouble as trying to burn my videos onto DVD. now it works great.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:57 AM
  • With your issue...Did you happen to have a Nvidia graphics card installed, then removed it? My issue was not caused by NERO, but by small fragments of the drivers left behind. After installing Vista Ultimate, I upgraded my card from Nvidia to ATI. Apparently, Nvida unistall left a few files behind. Go to msconfig utility and click tab "startup". Under that list you will see the files / programs attempting to use the RUNDLL32.EXE program. Mine just happen to be Nvidia drivers that I no longer have on my pc. I simply unchecked them, so they will not run at starup...issue is gone.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:12 AM
  • I am trying this, but when I finish hiding and disabling things, the option to restart doesn't show up.  When I click OK, the window just goes away and that's it.  I know it should pop up automatically, because I've done msconfig before.  What should I do?  Will it work if I restart it manually?  I've double checked; I think I'm following the instructions exactly.  Help!

~sugarkoetting
    Friday, September 05, 2008 2:22 AM
  • This is exactly what is happening to me.  I've hunted this site, but I can't see what people told you.  What did you do? 
    Friday, September 05, 2008 2:35 AM
  • I belive I have the same problem

Windows host process (Rundll32)

Website wants to open web content using this program on your computer

Details: "c:\programfiles\moviemaker\wmm2clip.dll"

This pops up everytime we try to attach a pic or video file to email (yahoo mail) attachment.  I have been researching this and cannot seem to find a solution to make this pop up stop.  Can you help???  I am very much a novice at computers so I'm really not sure what to do

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:42 PM
  • i have the exact same problem as you!
    i just installed vista glazz and i had my theme set to classic
    i deleted first and came upon your post
    i renamed those 3 files... and had to restore my computer to fix the files
    then i downloaded the patch which wasnt able to extract to my system 32 folder
    i just hope you can give more details on how you fixed your theme
    because i cant customize at all.

Thanks and much appreciated

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:04 AM
  • Hello razagrit,

It's a little hard for me to help you based on the information you wrote. It's a little muddled.
    You "deleted first", what did you delete and what do you mean you deleted it first? Before doing what?? Do you still have the theme on your computer? The patch is complicated, but if you downloaded correctly it should have fixed your PC. Perhaps something went wrong there.
    If you can you email me; I could try helping you step by step?
    Sorry this took so long to respond to. I've been coming up with more problems on my PC lately.

Glad to help (if I can).
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:11 AM
  • that is gold, it solved. thanks

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:37 PM
  • hi james carribean, i see many ppl responded that your post was really helpful and they fix their problem with nero, but i have the same problem with quicktime when i tried to open it in control panel, the "rundll32" message shows up, and i can not even run itunes and quicktime on my laptop even though i already installed them successfully.

can you please give my some advise? thanks very much.

Steven.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:38 PM
  • One of the problem is go to control panel, go to folder options, select view, go to Files and Folders & check always show icons, never thumbnails.

One of another is go to internet explorer, tools, select advanced, go to security & check use SSL 3.0 & TLS 1.0 

One of the other is go to internet explorer, Security, select trusted sites, in the sites type https://( address of update down load sites ).

good luck.

Friday, September 19, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Thanks Sushiwon, i tried all of your methods, but it still  doesnt solve the problem. the problem is when i tried to open the quicktime in control panel, i can't and the message "host process rundll32 has stopped working"

thanks anyway.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:21 AM
  • This problem has to do with quicktime video conflicting with other video applications in Vista. First uninstall Quicktime then go to their site and download the newest version of Quicktime.Reboot! Then update your video card to the latest drivers, mine is NVIDIA 8800GT. Reboot! Then go to start type "msconfig" without the quotes then right click on msconfig when it shows in the search and click "run as administrator". When msconfig opens disable everything except the essentials in Startup. For instance: in mine I have only these essentials enabled in Startup:

UPSMON(this is the monitor for my HP UPS backup)

Avast Antivirus

Raid Event Monitor

Spybot S&D

Hp Battery Backup

Hp digital imaging-hp all in one series

(everything else is unchecked)

in the Services tab: I have unchecked anything associated with quicktime such as: ipod service and Apple Mobile Device so it does not startup automatically.

I have also unchecked these services:

lightscribe service

GoToMyPC

Amazon Unbox Video Service

GameConsoleService

All Logitech Services

HP Health Check Service

HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service

Any SQL Service

Tablet PC Input Service

Windows Defender

I now have no problems using any of my programs. I hope this helps someone.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:53 PM
  • I get this error when backing up my custom Neverwinter Nights game file I'm working on ( .mod extention) onto a flash drive (I'm using Vista Home Premium).  Once the file is copied, windows explorer crashes or when the flash drive is plugged in that has the file on it, it crashes.  Other files (such as mp3's) don't have the problem.  I tried changing the association of the .mod file from windows media player (it defaulted to this for some reason)  to nwn.exe (Neverwinter Nights main executable). This did not help.  Side note: IE7 crashes everytime I close it but that is a separate can of worms - end of side note.  Incidentally, the .mod file I'm working on loads fine, and windows explorer never crashes when opening the mod folder on drive C:.  It does however crash on my backup hard drive D:. My old hard drive (E) has a mod folder on it and it does not crash when the folder is opened.  Other folders on drive D: do not crash.  I have tried the method suggested by nikky_uv and found out I have 18 non-Microsoft services running and 34 startup programs.  When I disable them, I still have the same problem which tells me there is a couple problems with Vista - any drive other than my main drive are incompatible with .mod files, and IE7 has changed recently.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Okay so I found out why IE7 was crashing everytime I closed it.  It was an add on called "my web search".  This was inadvertantly installed when I installed smiley central and was likely spyware.  Be warned.  I found it by disabling the add-ons under "tools" in the IE7 toolbar.  Eventually I narrowed it down to this application.  I still have the other problem to troubleshoot.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:43 PM
  • The crashing when opening a folder on HD D containing a .mod file even happens in SAFE MODE!  This is serious!

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Ok, I got the same problem as you.
    I wanted to change my theme by using Vista glazz and I clicked ''patch anyway'' and after I done it but it turned my Vista Aero into Windows Classic and I went and attempted to change my theme on Personalize and it keeps telling me ''Windows host process(rundll32) has stopped working'' please can you help me..I'm not a professtional at cpmputors and I'd really appreciate if you'd help
    I read your message but I could't understand what to do...please help!
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:44 AM
  • I tried the way you said but when i get into common files i cant find ahead. My theme has gone back to the original windows and i cant change it because of it. Help please
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:33 PM
  •  

same problem at me. i have dgital tv card and i record tv programs.

recorded mpeg files are problematic at this time .

when i coverted them, no problem. thumbnails are problematic at folder.

what can i do?

3 solve threads are not valid for me

my os: sp1 ultimate

vga:7900gs sonic

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:13 AM
  • this worked perfectly for me, thanks a lot nikky_uv

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:51 PM
  • hey this worked great i pretty much tried everything every one els has suggested but this i the first time anything has worked for the problem thanks alot.
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:18 PM
  • thanks, it worked!! when i opened my video file windows kept working
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Wow!!! Thanks for the help nikki_uv! Yes it was lengthy, but well worth the five minutes it took to fix this annoying problem. 
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 3:24 PM
  •  

Thankyou very much for the answer....this was exactly the problem.....checking that box fixed it...thanks again...just check the box like pusta said...it fixes all and takes like 5 seconds to fix
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for the tipp,

it worked great for me. Also have no Nero installed, but cyberlink Power DVD. I had exactly the same problem. Over and over the "Rundll32. has stopped" error message popped up. I noticed it only happened as long as I was looking at video files through windows explorer on DVD's or on the harddrive. Enabeling the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in the folderoption fixed the issue. No idea what causes this.

But try it its easy and can be lived with.....

Friday, October 10, 2008 11:42 PM
  • I don't know if this makes you feel any better mr. help me..but I'm not a professional at computers either.
    the BEST thing to do (WARNING: doing what I'm about to advise will most definitely get rid of everything on your computer - including some programs that might have come pre-installed on your PC - like office or nero. But it is also a pretty simple and very sure way to get your PC back to normal if one of your directory files is corrupted..which is some of your guys problems. Well actually it'll solve pretty much any problem) is get your copy of Vista, put it in the CD-Drive, turn your computer off..let it sit a minute and cool down. Then when you start it up and you see the screen with your computers manufacture company (usually "Dell" "HP" or something like that) you'll see in one of the corners it says "F8 = boot menu" or maybe F12 or something like that. Press that key until your menu loads.
    Choose to boot from "CD/DVD drive". Follow the very simple instructions. I also recommend that when you get to the part where it asks "Which disk/partition would you like to install to?" you click the little options button near the bottom and choose to erase everything from your hard drive before you re-install.

What this does is completely clears your hard drive, then you're telling your computer to install windows onto this "new" hard drive. So it's like starting from scratch. As if you put in a completely new drive and then installed windows onto it for the first time. No more virus..no more weird pop-ups...but also no more of your programs. You'll need to re-install anything that didn't come on your Windows disk. On the bright side: your computer should work just like new.

Zemme

Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Thank you very much for your help it works, great!

Monday, October 13, 2008 10:21 AM
  • ******QUOTE******

Try running SFC /SCANNOW that finds and fixes all sort of System File Corruption in OS.

5.       Click on Run as Administrator (It will open the black Command Prompt window)

Regards,

nikky_uv

Microsoft Tech Lead

***QUOTE******

this works a treat on any vista  OS computer

worked for me
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:25 PM
  • please help me out, i cant solve this rundll32 problem, thanks alot 

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:02 PM
  • hey i recently downloaded some themes [for vista] and now when ever i open themes a thing pops up saying windows host process rundll.exe has stopped working and i can't put back the vista theme i'm stuck with a stuffed up theme of a vista wallpaper and a classic taskbar. do you have any suggestions, if any they, they would be greatly ,greatly appreciated       can this be easily fixed? i hope so...  

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:14 AM
  •  

there is a new theme program, called vista glazz . DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL IT. IT WILL STUFF UP AERO

i should know.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Sad Exactly the same for me.Help please anyone? 
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:02 AM
  • For anyone who has a rundll32 due to theme errors  this will sort it out

i had the problem when i used vista glazz and could not change my theme back

this resets all your system drivers and sets back to your old vista aero theme(original theme set as default)

******QUOTE******

Regards,

nikky_uv

Microsoft Tech Lead

***QUOTE******

worked for me

Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:50 PM
  • afroshredder  thankyou so much, ive had the problem for months with no solution but now its fixed. Thanks Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:20 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO MUCH

IT WORKED!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:19 AM
  • Should i delete Vista glazz? i dont want it to do it again.

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:24 AM
  • hm.... i have nvidia too but i dont really have this nvidia driver helper service but i have this problem indeed what should i do?
    could it be related to the nvidia video driver?
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:09 PM
  • ok couple things.

ONE sometimes being admin aint enough. 

right click the file, then click properties, navagate to the security tab and click advanced.
     then click the owner tab.
    then click edit,
    click your name,
     then apply.

a dialog box will pop up and tell you that you have just taken ownership of the file.
    ** you have to ok out of all the boxes. **

THEN right click it again, and go to properties.
    back in the security tab click edit.
     click administrators,
    then in the bottom box check allow for full control.

now you can rename or delete the files that you couldnt before.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT. if you dont have nero installed, and everything else here didnt work. try this one.

click start, and right click computer, go to properties
    on the left click advanced system settings.
    under advanced tab in the performance box click settings.
    click the data execution prevention tab click add
    navagate to C:\windows\system32\dllhost.exe
    add that, click apply, ect

(that is for the com surrogate error which is common, as well as for any time you try to open a program that shuts down immediately, no matter what you try. just add it w/ that process [for programs you navigate to the program files and find the .exe for it])

hope that helps

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Pusta is right... set your folder to "always show icons, never thumbnails"

Saturday, November 01, 2008 3:53 AM
  • This problem has nothing to do with Nero or Divx. For some reason after you install new applications on Vista, the rundll32 file is duplicated in task manager. To solve this problem you have to take ownership of the file and change permissions for rundll32. You cannot change permissions for rundll32 unless you first take ownership. To do this: click the start menu button, type rundll32 in the search box, if your search brings up more than one rundll32 file, right click on each one and click open file location until you find rundll32.exe as an application in c:/windows/system32, this is the file you want, ignore all others, right click on this file and click properties, on the properties window click security tab, in the security window click advanced, now you will see four categories, system,

Administrators(Home-PC\Administrators), Users(Home-PC\Users), and TrustedInstaller. TrustedInstaller is the culprit and has full control on rundll32.exe. Click on the owner tab and click edit, change the ownership to Administrators(Home-PC\Adminidtrators), you should be Administrator on your pc, now change permissions for each group, give Administrators(Home-PC\Administrators) full control, change the other three groups to read and write only, click ok to accept changes, close all windows, problem is solved.

I started getting the rundll32 error after I installed a new antivirus program so this error message can start after Nero is installed or any new application. For some reason I have not yet figured out, Vista assigns this TrustedInstaller file full control on permissions instead of the Administrator. As long as you are Administrator on your pc, you should have full control over your files and apps not an unknown. Once you change ownership and permissions, the duplicate rundll32.exe in task manager disappears.

• Proposed as answer by Steve in Oz Sunday, March 08, 2009 1:55 AM
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:37 AM
  •  

This worked great!  Thanks Pusta!!!
    Monday, November 03, 2008 4:07 PM
  • You are just right Pusta. It worked though, I will miss thumbnail view....

Nice one.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:08 AM
  • This worked for me! Thanks a million!
    Saturday, November 08, 2008 6:48 AM
  • That what i am talking about i tried deevo advice which came from pusta.

open control panel if you have vista, click classic view then look for folder option. vola.

i hah.

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:12 PM
  • SmileSmileSmileSmileit really worked thanks alot thank youSmileSmileSmile
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Thank you! This worked for me even though I don't recall installing any Nero products recently. Thought I was gonna have to reinstall...it was stuck in a really ugly cycle.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:23 AM
  • I had a problem with my laptop (Vista Home SP1) where if I tried to change anything in Control Panel it wouldn't open and I got the dreaded Rundll32 Has stopped working error. I have looked everywhere and tried everything. Finally I tried a FREE registry cleanup program off the Cnet site. Figured it couldn't hurt. One download, one click and no more issues! Might not work for everyone but it sure worked for me. The program is Advanced Windowscare V2 Pro. Hope this helps one of you if not more.

Friday, November 14, 2008 8:44 AM
  •  

For anyone who has a rundll32 due to theme errors  this will sort it out

i had the problem when i used vista glazz and could not change my theme back

this resets all your system drivers and sets back to your old vista aero theme(original theme set as default)

******QUOTE******

Regards,

nikky_uv

Microsoft Tech Lead

***QUOTE******

worked for me

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:55 PM
  • I have recently purchased my HP laptop. Within the first few months due to a Networking problem, I was instructed by HP tech support to re-install the operating system. Within days, I began to get this rundll32 error message. I have been searching for a couple of weeks to find a satisfactory solution. Your solution seems to have worked so far. I really appreciate it and I am wondering how you discovered this solution?

thanks,

blu.....
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Could you please specify whose solution you're referring to because the replies on here are becoming increasingly convoluted.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:09 AM
  • @ Pusta:

Thank you very much, your SIMPLE Solution Solved the Rundl32 problem for me. As you previously stated the problem did not have anything to do with nero. Good Work Pusta and Thanx for sharing your discovery. I recommend this simple and quick solution to anyone having this bothersome Rundl32 problem. 

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:15 AM
  • i had a similar problem except linked to system files and how they ran networking and control panel files

so i searched through this whole forum (this exact one!!) untill i found this solution which resets all your system drivers

i quoted the guy who posted it in this forum and just spreading it

as i am sure people have had similar problems to me when using vista.

hope it works

afroshredder

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Hi Zemme,

I am referring to the solution provided by Leosgig. I might have tried several solutions mentioned on this site and on others. That solution seems to be working fine so far. I have tried opening several applications that caused my rundll32 errors such as PartitionMagic8, Quake2/Quake4 and Windows Defender. I have not seen this error message in several days, so I hope that I am not being permature, but I have been experiencing this ever since I did a system recovery on this computer a couple of weeks ago. I will report back to this community if I experience any further rundll32 error messages.

thanks,
    Les.....
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  Pusta wrote:

For all of you that are having this dam Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working error, here is how i fixed it.

Go into control panel, then folder options, then view and tick Always show icons, never thumbnails. Thats it it now shouldn't come up anymore. It isnt a nero problem, it seems to only come up when folders are opened up that contain video files.  It has something to do with various video codecs bla bla bla. Do this and all should be fine...... 

Dear  Pusta,

Thank you, i did what you suggested and it work fine.

Dear all if any have a video clips in the desktop and have the thumbnails enabled they it might happened to you.

thanks Pusta

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:13 PM
  •  *10 for this GREAT help.

Thanx alot.

Looked everywhere for a solution but found non... until today

I had this silly problem for several months and been trying my very best to fix it.

Everything I know of computers I've learnd on my own (with the help from internet).

Its not easy (when the people around knows less then you) to find a solution.

So I am very greatful for this exilent help.

Thank You sooo very much

Hugs /Jane 

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:04 PM
  • Unfortunately, the rundll32 error has returned. This time it occurrs with different applications than before. Once when I started playing Halo2 and another time when I tried to open the HP Recovery Manager. Both times the application still worked and when I checked Task Manager, I still had two instances of rundll32.exe running. One was owned by my username and the other was owned by SYSTEM. Properties show both are in C:\Windows\System32 folder. So other than the error message poping up, my system isnt really being affected that I can tell. Anyone else had any success with this problem?

thanks,

LesJoy
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:05 PM
  • I'm having the exact same experience. Brand new computer, less than 2 weeks old - should not be having problems.

I don't have Nero and I'm getting this error. I'm concerned because it has affected my antivirus.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Try resetting all of your system drivers

it sounds like this might be the problem

follow instructions below (THEY ARE NOT MINE FOUND THEM ON A FORUM)

it worked for me

******QUOTE******

Regards,

nikky_uv

Microsoft Tech Lead

***QUOTE******

this will reset your drivers and hopefully sort out you problem

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:35 PM
  • I was s able to resolve this by uninstalling the Synaptics touchpad driver and rebooting.I am also running Vista Home Premium.

Hope this helps,Happy Thanksgiving-Cameron

Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

I am going to try doing the same thing on my laptop. One question though, how did you figure out how to uninstall the Synaptic touchpad drivers and rebooting to resolve the rundll32 error message? I would like to understand your thoughts on resolving this problem. I will try this solution and report back to this forum.

Happy Thanksgiving,

LesJoy
    Friday, November 28, 2008 12:45 AM
  • I tried to go to Mouse properties in Control Panel and got the Rundll error message. It asked me if I wanted to uninstall the Synaptics driver. You can also uninstall the driver through Device Manager. It should be noted that I use a USB mouse and

keyboard most of the time.Anyway,both the touchpad and USB work now and I can access Mouse properties agian.

I guess when rebooting Vista reinstalls the corrupt Rundll.exe from a ,cab file.So if you have DEP disabled for Rundll,

reenable it before you reboot.Good luck fellow sufferer!

Friday, November 28, 2008 1:02 AM
  • I have only one User account and it says it has administer privileges. But when I tried to change the name of a system exe file so that I could paste a good one from my laptop, it prevents this action, as if I do not have administer control. I just don't get it. How can I get the privileges to change system files?
    Friday, November 28, 2008 1:25 AM
  • I appreciate your response and so far after rebooting I havent seen the dreaded error message yet. Another thing I have noticed is I cant access the DEP settings at all. I am not sure how this happened but the settings are grayed out and I cant click on anything. I must have disabled this while trying to fix the rundll32 error message at some point. Anyway again thanks for the comments and good luck to you also.

LesJoy
    Friday, November 28, 2008 1:27 AM
  • to reset all your system drivers do this

this will reset all your system files and you should now have no problem

Friday, November 28, 2008 11:49 AM
  • OMGOODNES! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE EASY SOLUTION!!!! I HAVE BEEN SUFFERED FOR 2 MONTHS HAVING CLASSIC LOOK DUE TO RUNDLL32 PROBLEMS...AND NOW I HAVE A TEARS OF JOYS! AAHHAHA! YOURS SO ROCKKK ! I GOT VISTA APPEARANCE BACK WOOOOO HOOO!! HOW CAN WE BE SO SELFISH AH? WE BOTH OF US BETTER TELL ANY1 ELSE WHO GOT THE SAME PROBLEM...AT LEAST TELL THEM FOR GOD SAKE! AHAHA! I ALREADY TELL A LOT OF PPL..NOW IM TIRED LOLS..
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:32 AM
  • OMGOODNES! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE EASY SOLUTION!!!! I HAVE BEEN SUFFERED FOR 2 MONTHS HAVING CLASSIC LOOK DUE TO RUNDLL32 PROBLEMS...AND NOW I HAVE A TEARS OF JOYS! AAHHAHA! YOURS SO ROCKKK ! I GOT VISTA APPEARANCE BACK WOOOOO HOOO!! HOW CAN WE BE SO SELFISH AH? WE BOTH OF US BETTER TELL ANY1 ELSE WHO GOT THE SAME PROBLEM...AT LEAST TELL THEM FOR GOD SAKE! AHAHA! I ALREADY TELL A LOT OF PPL..NOW IM TIRED LOLS..I MEANT TELL A LOT OF PPL THE SOLUTION THOSE WHO HAVE PROBLEMS...
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:33 AM
  • Thanks for this tip. This was what fixed my problem.

I had to boot into the command prompt and delete the video files on my desktop, but that fixed the looping rundll32 error.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I DID WHAT YOU SAID BUT I DON'T HAVE A AHEAD FILE FOR SOME REASON CAN YOU HELP ME I GOT LIKE A 95 THEME AND IM VISTA SOS
    Saturday, December 06, 2008 3:21 PM
  • can u help?? m afraid that my laptop might breakdown! m a newbie in pc world! pls help! thanks!

Monday, December 08, 2008 11:44 AM
  • All,

I have seen the dreaded error again twice. Both times, I was trying to execute a .exe file either opening or installing an application. On both attempts though, the applications still opened with no apparent problems.One thing I have noticed is that my work laptop that has Vista installed has never had any problems with the rundll32 error messages. I have checked in the Task Manager and there are 3 processes running for the rundll32. All three are owned by me as the user. On my home laptop, I have 2 instances running. One is owned by me as the user and the other is owned by the System as the user. Has anyone else noticed this occurrence? I am wondering how to change the ownership of the rundll32 task from the System to me? Why is one task owned by me and the other owned by the owner?

thanks,
    LesJoy
    Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:39 PM

• hi ... I have widows vista
    When I want open the disk D ... it opens message "windows  host process has stopped working" then "check online for a solution and close the program"

How can I do ????
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:53 PM
  • nikky_uv <<<-----  is a genus!!!

I followed the steps in your post (Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 7:32:18 AM) – yes it took some time, but I found the my NVIDIA drivers were causing the issue.  I have the NVIDA drivers unchecked in the “Startup” tab and no issues!!

I’m going to download updated drivers, uninstall my current ones and reinstall the new ones.

THANKS!!

Friday, December 12, 2008 4:33 PM
  • help me boy said:

there is a new theme program, called vista glazz . DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL IT. IT WILL STUFF UP AERO

i should know.

OH MY GOD.

I DOWNLOADED THAT PROGRAM.

But I removed it, why is there still a problem?
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 7:35 AM
  •  OH MY GODD!!!

I FINALLY GOT IT!

After trying nicky_uv's first suggestion at enabling/disabling the msconfig functions, and failed miserably. I almost gave up hope.

But later, I ran the SFC /SCANNOW test, removed my Synaptics Point/Touchpad Driver, and rebooted.

Everything is back to normal!! YESSS!

Thank god, I am saved from being grounded by my parents!
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 7:47 AM
  • pusta's solution of always shoing icons, never thumbnails fixed my problem. In my case, the crash occured whenever I tried to open a folder with audio/video files (I did not spend more time to narrow down which file format caused the crash).

now my question is: is there a "real" solution (not workarounds) to this problem? I used the thumbnail feature a LOT in the past to view and edit my photos. It's a pitty not being able to use it now :(

Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Hi all,

Really in desparate need of help. I was converting some .wmv file using VLC media player and when I tried to open it after converting , I get the "Windows rundll32 host process has stopped working" spam. It kept coming up no matter how many times I have restarted the system. I have tried disabling all system services (except windows) and also boot in save mode but it doesn't help.

I can't even go into Control Panel to remove Nero. I had a problem with COM Surrogate earlier but I fixed it using a small trick I found online.

Anyone know what should I do now? Really need to use this PC and reinstalling isn't a choice as there are crucial files on it...

Monday, January 26, 2009 5:07 PM
  •  Hey Jonathan,

msconfig

2. Click on "Startup" tab, in this box you have the item as followed:

Start up items... Manufacture.... Command .... Location.....ect

Under the Manufacture look for any item that has the word UNKNOWN.

3. These items you need to disable, by removing the check mark

4. click apply 

6. Once you're back on the desktop, you'd get a window for System Configuration Utility. Put a check in the box "Don't Show....." and then press OK button. (you may not get this message)

7. If issue is still resolved, you may have more than that going on-enable half of the Startup items from Startup tab and then check issue.

8. If issue occurs again, it means, there's a culprit in the checked startup items. But if issue doesn't occur, then issue could be with rest of the Startup items. Now, uncheck the first half startup items (that were check before), and then check rest of the half items. Check the issue again.......

9. Now, if the issue occurs, then make a note of all the names of the startup items and then follow the same procedure, for them. Now, you need to be careful, as by design the System Configuration will sort all the enable startup items to the top. So, it means all the entries would be mixed on next reboot. From now on you need to make a note of all the entries that you're enabling or disabling........

But this should do the trick, good luck and I miss my XP

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:57 AM
  • I know this thread is probably toast, but I have the same freaking rundll32.exe problem. I've tried everything , and I know someone out there can help. My computer came with vista on it no disk and without windows host process there's a lot of things I can't do. Including some of my favorite games security center it's really irritating. Someone please help before I take this thing outside and show it whose the boss lol. 
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:00 AM
  • right click "my computer" and go to properties. click advanced settings and to DEP tab. Click settings and check the use DEP except for box. Click add and find rundll32 and click open. 

Problem solved.

Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:37 AM
  • The solution that leosgig provided on 1st November 2008 on page 9 of this thread is in fact the solution to this rundll32 has stopped working problem.

I tried several of the other solutions but none fixed it. However changing the permissions of Rundll32.exe to the Administrator (full control) worked beautifully.

To all those users with this annoying problem please read his solution.

Thanks Leo.

Steve in Oz
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 1:52 AM
  • this fix listed above worked for me as well, as I determined it was indeed nero. I did however, do one additional step! I used my registry cleaner to fix other additional errors (or clean old reg) and get everything back right. Worked like a charm!
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:17 PM
  • I tried almost everything suggested here - in the end realized my nvidia drivers werent' up to date - solved the problem.
    maybe it will work for you...
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Thanks Nikki

Problem resolved.

I guess it is just a process of elimination.

Thanks
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:59 AM
  • hi bro

thx this idea really worked for me
    ive been having problems with my laptop going onto the start up page
    for some reason it just stayed black with the cursor there that was it
    and it kept saying about a start up patch needed but cant find it even on windows home page cos i
    dont know what im looking for.....

i didnt think to try the msconfig routine will remember that one thx alot but still need to find this patch
    that i need if u can help or know which one let me know cheers bro
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:08 PM
  • I recently developed the Host Rundll32 error a few days ago. I ran windows live protection scan and clean up and it did nothing. It took me a few days with the help of some of the other comments about the issue. I have windows Vista Home premium and this is how I fixed it, the problem was the  Nvidia Windows Compatiable Display Driver, accesible through Msconfig found in search. I could unclick it and the issue would go away, but i didn't like haivng a file there that couldn't be used. I downloaded a start up manager that allowed me to delete it from start up and it still hasn't come back. So this worked for me and I'm happy with it..no issues with my computer so if anyone else would like to do this here is the program i used http://www.cupersoft.com/content/view/50/
    Monday, April 20, 2009 5:26 AM
  • Clearly, from reading all the posts on this, the Host Rundll32 problem can have many causes. None of the proposed solutions worked for me until I noticed that the problem was occurring only periods of inactivity and after the screen saver started. I had installed and had been using the Economist magazine scrensaver. After I uninstalled it, the problem has not reappeared, if that helps anyone. 

Still, shame on Microsoft for allowing such a problem to persist and apparently not doing anything to resolve it.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Hi People

Ok ... First off the bat, I have also just got Windows Vista Home Premium.

Had this rundll thing and read a thread further down about stopping services etc.

Anyway, after hard lessons also feel I need to know what I am doing first and understand it, before I do it. Ended up recovering my whole system for safety sake.

Searched on technet what rundll is in the first place. Ok, so it's a programme.

Then searched dll to get down and dirty to the nitty grittty.

So, here is some reading and could be a good kick off point to understanding all these gizmos.

Check it out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815065

Never seems to be enough time to sort these things in a rush. Carribean James seems to be on to something there. Just don't understand how Rundll inter-relates  with Nero. Maybe the DS filter, what ever that is , has something to do with it.

Would it not be great when something goes wrong that the computer just prompts you to  press a button to fix.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Ok.. So after reading some of the sutff at : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/815065

Here is another link to helping with dll support, check the reference links at the bottom of the page at: http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp

It seems as though the dll file  or thinga'ma'jig.. is that little guy who basically is the middle man between making sure all the other little programmes get along. Hence, dynamic link libray or dll, for short.

Just under :http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp  are other resources for those with enough patience to read through all of it.

Friday, May 01, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Hi Illusiononly4u

I guess the best bet is to restore your system with your recovery disk that you should have got when buying your system.

If you need to know how to do this , this I can help you with ( at no cost).

I went this route to make 100% sure I wasn't bugged again by rundll dilly has stopped working.

Friday, May 01, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Thanks for the help. It worked great.  Took me about 15min.
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Hi Pusta

2 years on and people are still getting the same problem! - Your solution worked a treat. Simple and effective. If you have been working with Video files and get the dreaded Run32dll problem - try this solution first.

So Thank you.

Tmanic
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Thank you very much its working..

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:31 PM
  • I have a worse problem. I have such videa files on the desktop and I can't even open the Control Panel to apply your above suggestions.
    I think the problem comes from several codec packs installed on a computer. The erorrs came flowing after I downoaded an mpeg file.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:52 AM
  • Dude this is the best help guide i found after a whole hour of searching the net, i just wanna thank you for ur post, it was simple and easy to understand even though it was a little long, thank you again, ill make sure to recommend anyone to this post if they run into the same problem.
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 3:24 PM
  • (.... its unvelibable that such a pain-in-the-____ error can be solved so simple....)

****PUSTA POSTED THIS****

For all of you that are having this dam Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working error, here is how i fixed it.

PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA PUSTA

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Well well well, Pusta is a genius - I doubted this would work as it was too simple compared to other suggestions, I tried searching rundle could not find it, I tried finding nero and i don't seem to have it, I then came acrross this solution and had my doubts but hey presto a 30 second fix. But I must ask why? I installed a samsung story external hd yesterday and did a backup of all my stuff. Everything is fine until I wake up this morning and almost have a heart attack. I am getting the feeling this Vista business is a load of croc - Shame on you Microsoft!
    But thank you for these forums and Pusta.
    Great,
    Liam
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:48 AM
  • Pusta - Your solution was a very simple and amazing fix (I have a Dell Studio Desktop running Vista). After I applied the fix, my immediate thought was how did you ever determine the fix? Just very impressed and thankful for the bright and kind people that help others with these frustrating PC issues.
    Kokoda
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:13 PM
  • This worked for me thank you for your help, took me a couple times because I had to do it quick before the error message came up again and made me restart but it did work.

Monday, November 30, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Thanx JamminJodi, It worked on my computer.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:35 PM
  • i tried this and i found out what's causing the problem(mcafee real time scanner :P) but every time i disable it n restart n come back...... the things there again!!!! it refuses 2 b disabled!!!y??? nd that message thats supposed 2 come after ur back on doesnt come for me
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 3:00 PM
  • I know that this fixes the problem with rundll32 but does this have an affect on the Nero software? I do not want to permanently change it if it is going to cause problems in Nero?

Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:23 PM
  • For all of you that are having this dam Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working error, here is how i fixed it.

Thank you Pusta, your solution worked for me.  However, I'd much rather have thumbnails (to see what videos I've got) than icons - and I've used thumbnails for years before suddenly getting this problem (Host Process Rundll32 has stopped working, and Explorer crashes too) ; so is there any other fix to the problem which allows keeping thumbnails - to you Pusta or anyone else ?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:30 AM
  • tnx budy
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:14 PM

You are awesome, I have had issues opening my control panel for over a year now, all I have left to do is figure out why I cannot download my windows updates and I am golden
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:04 AM

This worked perfectly for me. I foudn you don't have to go to Control Panel and do this for all folders. You can just click on the folder above the one giving you issues and hit "Organize in the upper left. Then pick folder and search options. Then poick out the Always show icons, never thumnails."

Thanks I've been searching forever for this.

Friday, February 26, 2010 5:42 PM
  • 3 years on now, and pusta was on to something.

i've been wondering when a 'glitch' becomes a 'bug', and sort of vice versa. what i mean is that the system is responsible for not only instruction timing,ie fitting in the code for one R/W cycle, but it is also responsible for allocating a delay for application requests, to sort out the 'housekeeping' before handing over to the application. on top of this, the descriptor pool is under a constant clock too.

i have a feeling that pusta's suggestion eradicates the timing failure by excluding rundll32 from the simple transfer of duties, because this dll tries to reduce videos etc. to thumbnails, probably for later reference, but the applications over-ride it, causing an error (system error report). the icons are universal, and can be picked up in half a machine cycle, which the application is used to experiencing (eg. wait cycles, etc).

i've had 8 or 9 of these build up in the tray, one after the other, and of course there must be an overflow. either that or one could wind up with 150 gb of error messages i suppose ?

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:01 PM
  • thank you so much i have been locked out of my c drive for months. something so simple cause so much greif.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Thank you Caribbean James; I has the same problem and after your explanation it works well.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Thanx James for sharing this. it worked for me.

It took me to sign up on this site to convey it, but its worth it. Thnx for saving our time with this. Never going to install any Nero product(knowingly-unknowingly) on my machine after this.

Others PS: I did not have Nero installed on my machine, but somehow this folder and files are there, I followed the instructions and it worked. give it a try.

Regards,

Mittal

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Thank you Pusta this has troubled me ever since i got my new camcorder a couple of years back.

Have a cookie! =]

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Some of the suggestions seem pretty random...though by chance they have helped some people. In my case it was an NVidia dll file causing disruption. Reinstallation fixed the issue.

My suggestion to find the actual cause (rather than adding / removing startup progs or services till you find the right combination) is to use event viewer. That can be accessed using:

START > CONTROL PANEL > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS >  EVENT VIEWER.

Once it loads, in the left pane expand Windows Logs and then click on Application. Now in the main window scroll down until the relevent time of the error. When you click on it you can obtain further information, for example:

Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bb52, faulting module NVCPL.DLL, version 7.15.11.8532, time stamp 0x499d0a35, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000010fa30, process id 0xc24, application start time 0x01cb3650667ef130.

All the tools are included with Windows to help resolve issues like this, so no need for guesswork.

• Proposed as answer by glowplug1 Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:46 PM
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:45 PM
  • "My suggestion to find the actual cause"

How? 

"Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bb52, faulting module NVCPL.DLL, version 7.15.11.8532, time stamp 0x499d0a35, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000010fa30, process id 0xc24, application start time 0x01cb3650667ef130."

Does not tell me anything I can use.

"All the tools are included with Windows to help resolve issues like this, so no need for guesswork."

Any help or instructions? Don't know what tools are available, how to select or how to use them.

Vista HP 32

Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:04 PM
  • after i installed norton my programs went crazy and i guess norton uninstalled itself because its no longer on my computer now my computer say rundll32 stop workin when i try to install flash player adobe it wont let me i keep gettin errors, any idea wht to do?

Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:42 PM
  • hey guys i need help !! it says windows host process (rundll32) stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BEX Application Name: rundll32.exe Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385 Application Timestamp: 4a5bc637 Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Offset: 00000000 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Data: 00000008 OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID: 4105 Additional Information 1: 0a9e Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Additional Information 3: 0a9e Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Read our privacy statement online: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409 If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline: C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt so what shud i do ? and plz help me
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:30 AM