none
LoginUI misbehaves when using RDP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone advise me on taming LoginUI.exe when I'm using Remote Desktop?  It pegs 100%, consuming a whole CPU.  I'd be tempted to move the exe (as I've had to do with the forever misbehaving Windows Update Agent) but it seems like that's risky....being the UI for Login and all that.....

thanks.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please let us know your OS version?

Did the issue occur when locally logging into the computer?

Apart from 100%CPU, is there any more behavior when remoting? Kindly check the event logs and see if anything related.

Moreover, here is a relevant post with some suggestions:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a9fed804-ba3b-47a3-a8e6-cdb78abed7fd/logonuiexe-consumes-100-memory-when-logged-onto-windows-81-pro-notebook?forum=w7itproperf

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:00 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Sorry for the delay - about 10 hours ago I got both email notifications for your followups of the 24th and 29th. 

Event Log:  I searched for "logon" and found nothing but information messages about the Customer Experience Improvement Program.  I could find no app under "Applications and service Logs" that seemed relevant.  I don't know if, and if so, where, there are logs about 'excessively high CPU processes'.  It seems like something the OS could watch for and react to (stack trace, etc. )

Thanks, also, for the link.  I'd come across that while trouble shooting and didn't find anything useful.  I just confirms that many others have seen this and that suspending LogonUI is the only known "fix". 

thanks.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 11:07 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, please try to establish remote desktop connection to different remote system, and confirm that if such problem only happens on specific remote system. If so, please run “winver” on both local and remote system, provide me the detail information about OS build number. 

Besides, about the CPU abnormal occupation problem, below suggestion is worthy to have a try:
    1. Re-start remote system in Clean Boot, with all 3rd party process disable and try to establish remote desktop session, confirm that if problem happens again, it would be helpful to identify whether it is 3rd party process relate problem.

2. Make sure that there is enough available free resources, including CPU, Memory, disk and etc. on remote system before establishing remote session.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Jenny

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the help.  I may try the clean boot when I have time...and confidence that I can return the system to the original settings after manually disabling everything.  In the meantime I'll just use a script I've written to suspend LoginUI when it detects a RDP connection and resume it when the RDP disconnects. 

At the moment my bigger problem is with wuauserv.dll which is also taking 100% of one of my CPUs.  (Why the OS can't reign in runaway processes is beyond me.  Especially MS processes that it could know shouldn't climb to 100%)

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing the update and workaround.

As for the CPU usage issue, it is suggested to post a new thread to corresponding forum and then expects from there would help you with that problem.

For now, I will archive this thread and please feel free to reach us if more assistance needed for RDS part.

Thanks,

Jenny

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:08 AM