none
The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Question

• I'm having some issues with hibernation and logging off.

I've got some errors in the event log I'm going through but I can't seem to fix this one...

DistributedCOM, EventID 10010
    "The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} appears to belong to "Thumbnail Cache Out of Proc Server" DCOM entry. I was hoping I could fix using dcomcnfg.exe but everything is greyed out, even when using the full administrator account. 

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree but I tried to follow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965/en-us and got stuck due to the lack of permissions to edit so tried to follow http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/4f63ee11-e472-40f9-85db-a6b235d7579c but got stuck as I can't find comuid.dl_ on the Windows 7 install disk.

Any other help would be gratefully received.

This PC is connected to a Windows Home Server if that may make any difference.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If this error didn’t occur previously, a quick solution is to run System Restore and get back to the previous good status.

If System restore doesn’t help. Please also try the following:

1.    Ensure all updates have been applied on the Windows 7 computer.

2.    Run the following command in an elevated command prompt to check if there is any system file corrupted:

sfc /scannow

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 11, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If this error didn’t occur previously, a quick solution is to run System Restore and get back to the previous good status.

If System restore doesn’t help. Please also try the following:

1.    Ensure all updates have been applied on the Windows 7 computer.

2.    Run the following command in an elevated command prompt to check if there is any system file corrupted:

sfc /scannow

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 11, 2010 9:01 AM
  • I'm having some issues with hibernation and logging off.

I've got some errors in the event log I'm going through but I can't seem to fix this one...

DistributedCOM, EventID 10010
    "The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} appears to belong to "Thumbnail Cache Out of Proc Server" DCOM entry. I was hoping I could fix using dcomcnfg.exe but everything is greyed out, even when using the full administrator account. 

howdy,

well it might be a fun 4 u 2 read an answer after 3 years of ur post although I yet see quite alot inquiries regarding this damn dcom issue in google w/o any reasonable solution while z folks r usually & naturally approaching this issue from side of z general thumbnail cache (TC) of win7. well, it's a wrong guess unfortunately, so pls don't loose ur time by trying to disable TC in general and/or 2 do this in K-Lite Codec Pack in particular 4 instance.

also it should b mentioned that in my case this issue wasn't 2 much annoying while taking place only during win7 shutdown & restart... but this looks as literally ur case.

anyhow u made z good shot by starting ur study of this case from dcomcnfg command. and it's also good that all changeable fields in properties of this {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} server as accessed here: Administrative Tools > Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config r greyed out. this simply means that its default settings r ok and its owner is TrustedInstaller. otherwise u should do as follows 2 check if its status is default:

I. check if default status

A) 2 search z win7 registry 4 'Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with no subkeys) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}
    here 4 all found entries z proper permissions must be:
    SYSTEM      - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    Users (your pc\Users)    - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    TrustedInstaller   - Allow -  FullControl - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    and z current Owner must b TrustedInstaller.

{B8A2E14E-290D-4122-B092-1A7D86198CCE}
    Users (your pc\Users)    - Allow -  Read - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    SYSTEM      - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    CREATOR OWNER     - Allow -  Special - ParentObject - Subkeys only
    and z current Owner must b SYSTEM.   

B) search z Win7 registry 4 '{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with 1 subkey folder) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's same as 1st key of item A).
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  Read - NotInherited - This key and subkeys
    and z current Owner must b TrustedInstaller.

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's with one subkey folder.
    and z current Owner must b TrustedInstaller.

+ subkey folder = InprocServer32 - with same permissions inherited & Owner as Administrators (your pc\Administrators)

NOTE: also while z 2nd search I found z strange key folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SCM:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}. well it looks normal and not as a rootkit, i.e. there is no all zero values. however, keeping in mind that SCM is likely a Service Control Manager, its purpose & connection to Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server remains unclear. though it seems no problem and then there is a sense 2 leave it as it is including all its permissions etc.

II. Remedy

A) again 2 search z win7 registry 4 'Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with no subkeys) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}
    and z current Owner must be TrustedInstaller.

IMPORTANT! 2 change OWNER form TrustedInstaller 2 Administrators + allow FullControl 2 Administrators! all other settings remain same!

{B8A2E14E-290D-4122-B092-1A7D86198CCE}
    Users (your pc\Users)    - Allow -  Read - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    Administrators (your pc\Administrators) - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    SYSTEM      - Allow -  FullControl - ParentObject - This key and subkeys
    CREATOR OWNER     - Allow -  Special - ParentObject - Subkeys only
    and z current Owner must be SYSTEM.   

IMPORTANT! all settings here remain same untouched!

B) again 2 search z win7 registry for '{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}' w/o quotes. there will be a number of enrties of same two key folders (left panel with 1 subkey folder) in various locations:

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's same as 1st key of item A).
    And z current Owner must be TrustedInstaller.

IMPORTANT! 2 change OWNER form TrustedInstaller 2 Administrators + allow FullControl 2 Administrators! all other settings remain same! This was already done earlier in A)!

{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} - it's with one subkey folder.
    And z current Owner must be TrustedInstaller.

+ subkey folder = InprocServer32 - with same permissions inherited & Owner as Administrators (your pc\Administrators)

IMPORTANT! 2 change OWNER form TrustedInstaller 2 Administrators (2 TIMES MANUALLY in my case!) + allow FullControl 2 Administrators! all other settings remain same!

C) all settings of a starnge key folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SCM:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} remain same!

NOTE: here u likely need 2 restart win7 2 see an effect. it's easy 2 check changes when now all fields in properties of this {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} server as accessed here: Administrative Tools > Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config r changeable.

D) 2 set Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config > Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server > Properties > Location > Run application on the following computer to (ur pc root name)!

2 set Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config > Thumbnail Cache Out Of Proc Server > Properties > Identity to u (ur win7 User profile) + ur win7 password!

DONE. restart wn7 & enjoy.

rgds,

p.s. why z hell i can't directly copy & paste links here? there is always some popup error message of some unclear verification of my account needed...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:12 PM
  • that's nice, tho could be shorter like 4 or 5 times without losing anything and acquiring clarity in its briefness and saving ppl half an hour.

you save several letters for, replacing words with digits (which is up to you), but in technical writing it actually is littering the instruction since it's hard to parse text and in overall may be misleading.

but letter-saving with these 2, 4, u is very underwhelming. and what's funny, you use words 'one' and 'two' instead of `1` and `2`. so you even save even less letters =)) also z points(.s?) z it isn't a big deal 4u 2 rite full words @all

• Edited by zloidooraque Wednesday, March 02, 2016 5:31 PM .s
    Wednesday, March 02, 2016 5:28 PM