none
Windows Media player 12 - no taskbar toolbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anybody have same issue, that WMP 12 that came with W 7 RC has not possibility to add toolbar into the taskbar, like older versions. Is it WMP or W7RC or something else issue ?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:54 AM

Answers

• Kalandris,

There is no Windows Media toolbar available to add to the Taskbar by default, as there are Address and Language toolbars, etc. You can, however, always pin Windows Media Player to your Taskbar as you would any other application, by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Pin to Taskbar."
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:54 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Note that there's a couple player control options (back/pause/next) available if you mouse over the taskbar entry for the player.  Not as robust in that fashion as the previous taskbar, but it does give you some level of control.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:53 PM

All replies

• Kalandris,

There is no Windows Media toolbar available to add to the Taskbar by default, as there are Address and Language toolbars, etc. You can, however, always pin Windows Media Player to your Taskbar as you would any other application, by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Pin to Taskbar."
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Thank you for reply Alex,

-i have made so, but it is not like old good times :), WMP toolbar was nice and simple to use. Maybe just i'm not used to with whole new W7 taskbar 
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Note that there's a couple player control options (back/pause/next) available if you mouse over the taskbar entry for the player.  Not as robust in that fashion as the previous taskbar, but it does give you some level of control.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:53 PM
  • well this has been bothering me ever since I installed Win 7 Ultimate on my computer...
    well I searched the net quite a lot and I cound NOT find a way to add a toolbar into the taskbar like wmp 11 but there are 2 possible solution for that problem
    1) download one of the many available desktop gadgets for WMP, they pretty much do the same thing as WMP 11's toolbar if you set it on "always show on top" and place them on the bottom right edge of your screen!Well the truth is that every one I tried so far lacks in one way or another :very small screen/difficulty in adding songs/inability to play videos/not user friendly and any compination of the above depending the version you chose to download the best 3 I came across are called: TechTimmy.WMP(best one),Media Player,Sidebar Player
    2) set WMP 12 itself on "always show on top"and simply reduce it's size to minimum and put it on the bottom right corner that should allow you to monitor which track are you listening to or even watch a video while working!
    all in all I could only find αν accommodating solution but I have got to admit than I too miss WMP 11's toolbar!
    • Proposed as answer by JasonBK Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:56 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:01 PM
  • From what i understand you mean the mini player thing that would be on taskbar and it would let you play/pause/switch songs and so on and the what not. Well it is still possible to use, right click on an empty spot on your taskbar go under toolbars and check off WMP. And there ya go, good old taskbar player.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:36 AM
  • well actually I was talking about WMP 12 itself that you can set to "always show on top" and then reduse it's size.The mini player that you get if you pin wmp to your taskbar does not allow you to watch video while doing anything else because it requires to have you mouse pointer constantly on it...Which is virtually pointless!!!
    What I suggested was either download a wmp-like gadget ,place it on your sidebar and set it on "always show on top" or do the same thing with wmp12 itself...
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Well it is still possible to use, right click on an empty spot on your taskbar go under toolbars and check off WMP. And there ya go, good old taskbar player.
    No, it is not possible! :-((
    Why Microsoft
    • Invents new UI features I hate (ribbon, no texts on taskbar buttons*)
    • Removes UI features I love (menus, Quick Launch*, desktop toolbars, media player toolbar)
    • Does not implement features I need (multimon taskbar)
    ??? :-((
    I've just installed W7. I like it, usually. But such small thinks really annoys me ands make me thinking about some more open OS.

*) - can be restored
    Đ.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:30 AM
  • Is there seriously still no toolbar for WMP12? The answerers are more or less saying "nope, it's gone, sorry." I love 7 but the absence of something a lot of people seem to like, for no apparent reason, is annoying. From the outside looking in it would seem that Microsoft's time investment for such a small item vs. heightened customer satisfaction would be a no-brainer. Come on guys!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:16 PM
  • I would be nice to see the toolbar for WMP12. I do hope that msft will do something about it.

It helps you work seamlessly while watching a video or listening to songs.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:55 PM
  • I agree. Additionally, crossfading is intermittent, and about every 5-10 songs WMP12 just stops playing completely. Click play & it resumes. Go back one song & it will play through OK & continue until it just STOPS again 5-10 songs later. No error message; it just stops. Microsoft wants $59 to fix it  as does Acer customer service (on my new laptop just weeks old). I was told that it "plays", and that's what it's supposed to do ... play music. If crossfading doesn't work right, that's my issue ... not their problem. I.E., it plays the songs, by their logic, so it's doing what it's supposed to do. Under that logic there's nothing wrong with Toyota's accelerators ... they accelerate ... that's what they're supposed to do. Several people told me to just completely reload the computer. Is that the only solution? Also, sometimes sound is distorted. However, it IS playing the song.
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 5:03 PM
  • WMPuser, did you try updating the sound card drivers? Also, disabling the speaker audio enhancements might help. More information about these possible fixes here .
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Thanks for suggestions. I've now tried both of those: Installed latest audio driver from Acer & disabled speaker enhancements. Same problem occurs. There are long pauses up to 30 sec between some songs, actually crossfades correctly with others, and it still completely stops every 5-10 songs. I guess I'll have to try Monkey Media. Micro Center suggested the following: WinAmp, VLC, Foobar, Monkey Media, Songbird, and I found another one called KMP. I guess that's what I'll have to do. Any suggestions on what works best of those? I have another computer (desktop) with XP & Windows Media 11. Has always worked well. I transfer files including playlists between that & older laptop (that has now died) & have done that for years. Will WMP11 & these other Music Players be compatible? I.E., will playlists transfer from one to the other, e.g.? What a mess.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:29 AM
  • I was a Real One player follower until WMP11 came out.  But since upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7, I have abandoned WMP12 all together because of its lost functionalities (e.g. mini toolbar) and have gone back to Real One player.  Microsoft, please either make WMP11 compatible with Windows 7 or give WMP12 the same functions as WMP11.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Hello axfelix.

For reasons unknown, Microsoft has decided to remove the Toolbar option from WMP entirely. This is sad, but makes you appreciate "hack" all the more. If you have a copy of Windows Vista laying around, you can at any time copy its version of the <wmpband.dll> file which is located within the Windows Media Player folder.

E.g. %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpband.dll

Please note that you need the 64-bit version from Vista, for a 64-bit version on Windows 7. Similarly you need the 32-bit version from Vista for a 32-bit version of 7.

Once you have copied this file over to Windows 7 (and unlocked it, if required by your security settings), you can place it within the Windows Media Player folder and run the following CMD commands (may require elevated rights (read: Administrator)):

• net stop WMPNetworkSvc
    • regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpband.dll"
    • net start WMPNetworkSvc

This this point, you may need to reboot because of other services acting like uptight ....... .

After rebooting, start WMP. Minimize it and right-click on your start-bar to find the WMP toolbar. It should pop up after this.

This does not alter Windows 7 system files in any way, and as long as you own your own copy of Windows Vista, does not go against any Winows X Terms of Use.

BOTTOM NOTE: Again, why this was removed is beyond me. If Microsoft actually had a Creative Director type of person, or a team for this, Windows operative systems would EASILY be able to display non-annoying ways to show its users neat tricks on how to use the massive amount of technology and functionality in the OS, instead of simply removing it because nobody knows how to use it (Outside the 3% of users that actually do, according to MS' own statistics). With the lack of creative teams, I am glad we have hacks and hackers to show us what MS fails to do. What Microsoft does best is code, not design (see: Windows 8). This is critique, not an attack.

//Stay rainbow~

Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:54 AM