none
Network and Sharing center not working

Question

• After installing Windows Vista SP1 RC1 on my computer, the network and sharing center no longer works.  It crahses when I try to open it and it tells me a specific service stopped working.  The specific service that stops working changes, but the most common one is the Network Store Interface Service.  Then it just says "Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed."  I've tried disabling my firewall (avg internet security), but the problem still occurs.  However despite, the Network and Sharing center not working, I still remain connected to the internet.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Thanks

Jim B

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:08 PM

Answers

• If this fixed the problem, please submit a bug for this.  The product group needs to take a look at this scenario.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:42 PM
  •  asaertetretr wrote:

I had a. similiar problem.=\

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
    Date:          12/20/2007 2:07:13 AM
    Event ID:      404
    Task Category: Service RPC error
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:     
    Description:
    Task Scheduler service has encountered RPC initialization error in "RpcServerUseProtseq:ncacn_ip_tcp". Additional Data: Error Value: 1703.

Sorry, the comment was meant for you. This is actually a different problem and should be bugged.

You can download the client here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43655

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

We may be able to get some additional information from the watson report. Can you get into the Control Panel or does that crash as well?

Here's what I need:

Start>Control Panel>Classic View>Problems Reports and Solutions>

First>Check for New solutions. This should send any reports that have not been sent.

Second> View Problem History>

Your problem is probably going to be listed under something like:

"Host Process for Windows Services stopped working"

And there should be a time and date. We want there to be a 'report sent' indicated next to it. This is why I had you "check for new solutions" first.

Double click on the report to open it up.  Under the "Extra Information about the problem" title, there should be a BucketID. Can you provide that for me?

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:27 PM
  • The bucket ID for the host process failure is 853806.  For some reason it lists the other crashes associated with this one as different problems so I'll provide a few more just in case.

Network List Service - 853804

Network Store Interface Service - 852651

SSDP Discovery - 853794

COM + Event System - 850654

I'm assuming all these services are related because none of them seem to be working correctly when running SP1 RC1.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:51 PM
  • I had a. similiar problem.=\

Keywords:     
    Description:
    Task Scheduler service has encountered RPC initialization error in "RpcServerUseProtseq:ncacn_ip_tcp". Additional Data: Error Value: 1703.

Friday, December 21, 2007 7:58 AM
  • Thank you for finding the bucket IDs.

It appears that the first two are connected and the last three are connected. The dump files are pointing to two different symbols. 

Do you have any other AV or Firewall products installed on this machine besides AVG?

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Friday, December 21, 2007 6:22 PM
  •  

I have AVG internet security installed on my machine which comes w/ AVG firewall, antivirus, and anti spyware.  This is the only firewall I have on my computer.
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 12:05 AM
  • I have also run into this issue since installing Vista SP1 RC.

The only software differenc I have is that I have SAV 10.2 installed, no other security program but I am using the Windows firewall.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:30 AM
  • I too have experienced the same issue.  I am running Vista 64 with the SP1 RC.  The only difference is I am running NIS 2008, which was and still is apparently working well.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:23 PM
  • OK,

So I got my issue fixed.  It looks like this issue was being caused by AIM.  I uninstalled the old AIM version and the downloaded and installed the new AIM.  After I installed the new AIM I rebooted and everything was all good with Network and Sharing Center.

Try it out and see what it does for your issues.

Mark

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:37 AM
  • I just uninstalled and reinstalled AIM.  Unfotunately, It did not fix my problem.  I already had a relatively new version of AIM after I installed the service pack anyways. 

Thanks for the tip anyways.

Jim

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Do you have UAC enabled or disabled??

If disabled do the following:

Uninstall AIM

Enable UAC

Reboot

Install new AIM version

Reboot

See how that works for you.

Mark

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:03 AM
  • I have no idea how or why, but somehow that actually worked!  I'm going to disable UAC again (I hate that thing) and hope that all of it still works.  Thanks alot Mark!

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:42 AM
  • Did you check the event viewer? Sometimes, it'll give you an external link to microsoft technet to see if they provide a solution to the problem.

Also,  the system automatically creates a system restore point before the update installs. That may help and then when you do that, report the problem to microsoft.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:47 AM
  •  

This is actually a different problem and there is no bucket id associated with the report in the event viewer for me to research on our end.

Can you download the Microsoft Beta Client and submit a bug for this?

MBC: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43655

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:39 PM
  • If this fixed the problem, please submit a bug for this.  The product group needs to take a look at this scenario.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:42 PM
  • I'm lost in this thread was thatcomment for me or the others?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:51 PM
  •  asaertetretr wrote:

I had a. similiar problem.=\

Keywords:     
    Description:

Sorry, the comment was meant for you. This is actually a different problem and should be bugged.

You can download the client here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43655

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:06 PM
  • I tried the following but it did not work for me. I'm using the official SP1 release. Any other suggestions?

My bucket IDs for the following:
    Host Process For Windows Services - 196792872

Network Store Interface Service - 196792637

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:40 AM
  • I am having the same problem and have posted in this thread before replying here. That thread improperly refers to AIM being the source of the problem, and the thread it links to for a solution is not an acceptable option for me as it requires you to set Local Service as an administrator account. I have included my Bucket ID as it is very similar to the problems described in this thread.

Bucket ID:    196878786
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:30 AM
  • Ramzypro,

I encountered this same issue on RC0, RC1, RC2.  For me, not only was the issue linked to AIM, but it had to do with installing AIM with UAC disabled.  I don't know if you have AIM installed on your computer.  With the experiences that I had it was very important that AIM be installed with UAC enabled or the Network and Connection Center would not work on SP1.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:30 AM
  • Well at least it solves my problem for the time being until there is a proper fix. It was getting really annoying.

http://www.xoxideforums.com/networking/76388-vista-giving-you-server.html

now there's a fix! Thanks to a regular Vista user on Microsoft's TechNet forums, a fix has been found!
    Here ya go:

Right click "Computer"
    Click "Manage"
    Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    Click "Groups"
    Right click "Administrators"
    Click "Add to group..."
    Click "Add"
    Click "Advanced"
    Click "Find Now"
    Double click "Local Service"
    Click "Ok"
    "NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
    Click "Ok"
    Close Computer Management and reboot.

Remember, all credit goes to BlueShot @ Microsoft TechNet Forums!

Building on BlueShot's fix focused on business Vista, there is now a simple fix for Vista Home users, as well, for the "server execution error" and red "x" over the wireless networking icon.

Simply run a command prompt as an administrator (right-click on it and click "Open as Administrator") then enter the following command line:

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

That should do it. We should thank God for the each other because Microsoft sure has no F-ing idea what they are doing yet.

docinventor

P.S.- please distribute this to other groups...

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:13 AM
  •  Jedi2155 wrote:
    Well at least it solves my problem for the time being until there is a proper fix. It was getting really annoying.

http://www.xoxideforums.com/networking/76388-vista-giving-you-server.html

now there's a fix! Thanks to a regular Vista user on Microsoft's TechNet forums, a fix has been found!
    Here ya go:

Right click "Computer"
    Click "Manage"
    Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    Click "Groups"
    Right click "Administrators"
    Click "Add to group..."
    Click "Add"
    Click "Advanced"
    Click "Find Now"
    Double click "Local Service"
    Click "Ok"
    "NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
    Click "Ok"
    Close Computer Management and reboot.

Remember, all credit goes to BlueShot @ Microsoft TechNet Forums!

Building on BlueShot's fix focused on business Vista, there is now a simple fix for Vista Home users, as well, for the "server execution error" and red "x" over the wireless networking icon.

Simply run a command prompt as an administrator (right-click on it and click "Open as Administrator") then enter the following command line:

That should do it. We should thank God for the each other because Microsoft sure has no F-ing idea what they are doing yet.

docinventor

P.S.- please distribute this to other groups...

First of all, uninstalling then re-installing AIM with UAC disabled or enabled, and completely uninstalling AIM did not fix this problem either. This problem occurred only after installing SP1, not AIM. From my observations, the ONLY factor that influenced this problem was SP1. Second, adding Local Service as an administrator is just plain stupid. Read http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/serversecurity/serviceaccount/sspgch02.mspx for more information.
    Local Service account

The Local Service account is a special built-in account that has reduced privileges similar to an authenticated local user account. This limited access helps safeguard the computer if an attacker compromises individual services or processes. A service that runs as the Local Service account accesses network resources as a null session; that is, it uses anonymous credentials. The actual name of the account is NT AUTHORITY\LocalService, and it does not have a password that an administrator needs to manage.

TechRepublic also has an article on the subject of the services accounts: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2415-10877_11-94725.html

LocalService account: The LocalService account has minimum rights on the local computer and uses anonymous credentials on the network. This account has reduced privileges and acts in a similar fashion to an authenticated local user account. Use of this account is useful when the LocalSystem account provides too much access for services that do not need deep access to a system.

Adding LocalService as an administrator completely defeats the purpose of having a local service account in the first place. This is NOT a solved issue, I see only an insecure workaround that compromises the security of my computer and I will not accept that solution.

The symptoms I am experiencing include: Icon for my network showing at the bottom corner of the screen indicating "Connection Status: unknown" and "Server execution failed." Upon booting the system and when attempting to start the Network and Sharing center I receive the error "COM+ Event System has stopped working" and the error "Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed." The Network and Sharing Center says "No such interface supported" under the "Unknown" network.

UPDATE: I have also noticed that Windows Live Messenger will not connect as a result of this problem. When attempting a Repair on the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant, Windows Installer gives the error "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." and asks for an alternate path to "...a folder containing the installation package 'wllogin.msi'..." and does not give me any option to actually repair.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:07 PM
  • I tried the fix of pasting this line into the command line after signing in as administrator.

This worked to fix the lag delay of opening up Network and sharing center.

I did a restart after this line was accepted in the command line.

I found command line under accessories.

Found accessories under search.

or search under command or command prompt. to locate where to paste this line into. When you get to command prompt open it up by right clicking on command prompt and open as administrator then paste in the line

this worked for me after the restart.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:31 AM
  •  Sandar455 wrote:

I tried the fix of pasting this line into the command line after signing in as administrator.

This worked to fix the lag delay of opening up Network and sharing center.

I did a restart after this line was accepted in the command line.

I found command line under accessories.

Found accessories under search.

or search under command or command prompt. to locate where to paste this line into. When you get to command prompt open it up by right clicking on command prompt and open as administrator then paste in the line

this worked for me after the restart.

Sandar455, Please read the last post in the thread before you go posting a reply.

Proper forum etiquette requires that you read the posts in the thread and not blindly post exactly what is written in them, that is called 'redundancy' and it consumes bandwidth and is a waste of time for those reading for a REAL solution. As stated in my above reply, I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS SOLUTION. It is a giant security risk, as a developer who is running a server and many applications which require constant connectivity, I am not willing to take this risk. There has to be a better solution than this one, and I am STILL waiting on a Microsoft Tech. to respond and give one, as they would be obviously liable if they posted this as their solution.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 4:52 PM
  •  

I found a better solution for my network and sharing issue that I agree with ALOT better than the LocalService solution, please refer to this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3156119&SiteID=17

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:59 PM
  • To go along with Ramzypro's last posting...

(I'm cross posting my own message so please don't bug that the same thing is written on multiple forums...)

Ok, as corrected by a few Forum "posters" on other issues related to this one, there is finally a solution everyone can agree with and can do very easily. 

This fixed both the Networking error messages (COM + Event Host etc), the network not realizing you are connected red x (but really are), as well as missing information in System Properties...all of which are due to some glitch in loading SP1 and NOT from having AOL IM.

Just so you can get some background on the fix (and kick yourself that it is just "that" easy) here is the Microsoft KB that explains it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Looks like you can use it in XP as well as Vista (any version) so those of you with the same issues in XP might try this little gem.  PLEASE IGNORE PREVIOUS SOLUTIONS THAT ADVISE TO ADD "LOCAL SERVICE" TO ADMIN RIGHTS!  Below forum links explain why (thanks Ramzypro).

Here in a nutshell is the fix and how to do it:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, then press ENTER

2. For Windows Vista, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

3. You receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message. For more information about this message, view the %windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.
    Note In Windows Vista, the defltbase.inf file is a Security configuration template for the default security. You can view the settings for this file in the following location: %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf

So as duly pointed out by Ramzypro in other forums here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=2582582&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=2597892&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

and here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3156119&SiteID=17

I think this does it...but if anyone has anything further to add...please do so and add to what I have put.  I'm just a humble intermediate computer operator, not any sort of programmer or sys admin, so unfortunately I won't have many answers for you besides troubleshooting experience or forum scouring knowledge.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  Ramzypro wrote:

Edward77, I owe you an apology. It was late at night and the link you posted was the same link as the "LocalService" fix so I didn't bother clicking it. SubInACL is NOT compatible with Windows Vista, and I do NOT reccomend  using it.  Windows Vista has a tool built-in to control ACL Permissions in the command line (called icacls, visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc138006.aspx for more information), but after reviewing each of those lines, I realized that those steps aren't even necessessary, since the LocalService "fix" was enough to resolve the issue, then just resetting Security level permissions back to default should work (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222)

Ignore the other instructions, this one line should be all you need:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

then Reboot

I was impressed and relieved that that solution actually worked. Since it is resetting all services back to their default permissions, it will not compromise security as the LocalService fix does, and it did everything I needed it to.

This solution WILL NOT compromise your system, DOES NOT REQUIRE SUBINACL TO BE INSTALLED, and has worked quite well for me.

Thank you again Edward77 for leading me in the right direction!

Again, DO NOT RUN THE "LOCALSERVICE" FIX, IT IS A SECURITY RISK. The proper fix, from what I gather, is to reset all security permissions to their defaults. This can be accomplished by running that line in the Command Prompt in administrator mode.

I tried this and I got the ""Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done."

But when I rebooted it didn't help out at all.

I'm on vista home premium with SP1 installed.

I tried the Localservice fix as well, but I got System Error 1376.

Any ideas why?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:34 PM
  • After installing the SP1 I cannot access to Network and Sharing Center (tot even from Control Panel). I reported the incident and this is my Bucket Id: 663134288 if you still need it.

I'm thinking of perform a System restore from a time before the updating.

G'luck

Oss

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Thank you!
    Everything is running fast and smooth now.
    I will thank BlueShot as well.
    Yahoo for dudes like you!

Post Script: 
            Does Microsoft, help and support, browse it's own Tech-Forums?

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:25 AM
  • COM+ event  stopped working

please help

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX64

Application Name: svchost.exe_EventSystem

Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Application Timestamp: 47919291

Fault Module Name: netprofm.dll_unloaded

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791ad84

Exception Offset: 000007fef7fe3820

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 0000000000000008

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 98f6

Additional Information 2: 87675ed52f92c29ca9743f9c4f847526

Additional Information 3: b07c

Additional Information 4: d49704ac1ed176b8d532f7a86e9f442b

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 161703150

Sunday, March 22, 2009 10:55 AM
  • Can you elaborate a bit more on the exact issue you are seeing?

Are you seeing this with Vista SP1 or some SP2 builds?
    - Amal [MSFT]
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:58 AM
  • I was experiencing much the same problem. It was happening with Vista 64bit SP1. I was still getting 18-30Mbps on my Comcast cable connection (depending on the time of day, traffic and the load on the server I used to test my connection on,

I have my HP Elite setup to dual-boot Vista 64bit and Windows 7 64bit RC-1.

Oddly enough,  ALL components worked perfectly while running Windows 7 RC-1. While there was NO loss of connection in either O/S, The hardware was perfectly alright. No matter what I tested it with or what I un-installed and re-installed in Vista, the problem existed for about 3 weeks. Then one day, it disappeared as suddenly as it showed up.   I have not seen this issue again, since late April or early May. I purchased this system in early March.
        In ny case, it's one of them things that make us scratch our heads, and go Hmmmmmmmm... Probably the ghost in the machine.

Just my 2 cents.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:38 AM