none
Print spooler keeps shutting itself off

Question

• I have an XP Pro sp3 32bit system.I was forced to do a system restore and ever since my printer spooler keeps shutting itself off. I checked Services to make sure it is set to automatic and started it but when I try to install a printer it shuts itself off again. I cannot uninstall my printers from the control panel for some reason. When I try to the spooler shuts itself off and the uninstll stops. Knowing that there could be a corrupt file that would cause the spooler to shut off I first went to the windows/system32/spooler and deleted all drivers from the Driver folder. The printer folder was empty for some reason. When that did not work I went into the registry and deleted any file I could find on any printer I had installed on this system and it still does the same thing. I then did a scannow and had what dll's were missing replaced and that did not work. Then I replaced the spoolsv. file and that did not work. I've done windows updates several times with no luck. I am out of ideas so if anyone out there can help I would appreciate it.

The errors I get are:
    "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." This is the intitial error I get when I try to add a printer.

And "Operation could not be completed". This one gives not reason for the error.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:36 PM

All replies

• Please check your event logs and see what errors may have occured for an idea of what might have caused it. It may give your a file name that you can relate to a specific printer driver. Thats what I suspect first caused the problem, a problematic printer driver.

Try deleting the contents of the c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS then start the printer spooler service. Install fresh upto date printer drivers and cross your fingers. :)

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:24 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 contains al needed info to clean out and restore the print spooler.

There is also an automatic fix available on the same page to fix this. Download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website and install these as soon as your spooler service is up and running again.

If you suspect system files are missing or currup, use the SFC utility to verify and fix!

kind regards,

Senne

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Friday, December 17, 2010 2:25 PM
  • This is what the event tab said: The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 18 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service. Nothing there to give a clue.
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:19 AM
  • I've tried this many times. All it does is start the spooler. Then of course it shuts itself down.
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Did you manually clean the spooler using the kb instructions? Please be clear on what exactly you tried.
    You could also try to clean the spooler using the CleanSPL.exe tool from the windows 2003 resource kit.
    This does a complete cleanup form the print spooler. (One important note: say NO if it asks you to remove  the Standard TCP/IP Port or the BJ Language Monitor)

You have system restore turned on? In that case you might be  able to restore a system state that does work?

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Saturday, December 18, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Did you manually clean the spooler using the kb instructions? Please be clear on what exactly you tried.
    You could also try to clean the spooler using the CleanSPL.exe tool from the windows 2003 resource kit.
    This does a complete cleanup form the print spooler. (One important note: say NO if it asks you to remove  the Standard TCP/IP Port or the BJ Language Monitor)

You have system restore turned on? In that case you might be  able to restore a system state that does work?

I did do the manual cleaning of the spooler as per the kb instructions then I used the CleanSPL.  It still doesn't work. When I turn on the spooler I try to add a printer and the spooler shuts itself off.  I do thank your help here. This is a brain twister. As far as trying to do a system restore, that's what started this whole mess in the first place, so I'm afraid to do it again. Although I suppose I don't have too much to lose at this point. If you can think of anything else let me know.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Please use my link above to the SFC utility. This utility verifies important system files for health and replaces them with the originals if needed. if this does not offer a solution, I'm out of quick fixes. That does not mean the isse is not resolvable, but it does mean you should well weigh the effort fixing it against the time needed to restore from backup or even build from scratch.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:58 PM
  • I did the SFC scan. It says there are problems but it did not fix them. I tried to do a system restore and it won't do it. I tried to reinstall the OS and it wouldn't let me. So, I don't know what to do. I am going to try and get Win7 to do a clean install.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Sounds like there is a duplicate entry.

Try checking the hard drive and memory checks from microsoft. If there was any hardware problems check the power supply. A cheap 15 dollar power supply checker is available at radio shack.

Check the hard drive by start> run>

chkdsk /f and then reboot.

Then try the SFC scan.

Keith

Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:01 PM