none
Error during setup after first restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      I am trygin to install the beta. The whole process goes OK until the setup reboots the computer having copied and expanded files, installed features and so on. Then, after the reboot I can see the screen saying Starting Windows, then Setup is updating registry settings, then Setup is starting services. After a short while I get an error message saying "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration restart the computer." Clicking OK results in a reboot and the same procedure goes over and over.

I pressed Shift+F10 on that message to get the command prompt and went to the management console. There, in the Application log I could find the following error:
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-MSDTC
    Date:          1/13/2009 8:49:24 PM
    Event ID:      4427
    Task Category: MSDTC Proxy
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      37L4247D28-26
    Description:
    Failed to initialize the needed name objects. Error Specifics: hr = 0x80004005, d:\win7beta\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcprx\src\dtcinit.cpp:571, CmdLine: C:\Windows\system32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}, Pid: 1984
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-MSDTC" Guid="{719BE4ED-E9BC-4DD8-A7CF-C85CE8E4975D}" EventSourceName="MSDTC" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4427</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>10</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-14T04:49:24.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>69</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>37L4247D28-26</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">hr = 0x80004005, d:\win7beta\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcprx\src\dtcinit.cpp:571, CmdLine: C:\Windows\system32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}, Pid: 1984</Data>
        <Binary>4D005300440054004300</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Trying to manually execute the command listed there results in the same error. My guess is that this is what is stopping the setup here.

I tried installing the system a number of times, every time with the same error. The downloaded ISO seems to OK (MD5 is correct).

What should I do to get it running? Any help is appreciated.

Best regards

Huckey
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:24 PM

Answers

• Hi again,
      I finally managed to install the Beta so I wanted to share how it worked for me - maybe it can help someone.

The problem with DTC can be solved by hitting Shift+F10 when you get the error message displayed - you will get the command window. Then follow instructions listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891801/en-us, basically the following steps from that instruction are needed, here is a quote: "
    1. At a command prompt, type the following command:
      %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -uninstall
    2. Start Registry Editor, and then remove the following registry keys if they exist:
      • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSDTC
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MSDTC
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\MSDTC
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC
    3. At a command prompt, type %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -install.
    4. Wait for disk activity to stop, and then restore the startup type of the services that you changed to their original values.
    5. In the registry, create the following registry key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\XADLL
    6. At a command prompt, type regsvr32 mtxoci.dll.

You will receive a message that states that DllRegisterServer in Mtxoci.dll succeeded. Click OK to close the message.
    7. Restart your computer."

Although I was able to solve the problem with DTC I still was not able to finish the installation because I had another problem, this time with Group Policy. No matter what I could not get the service to start.

Now I do not know if that was the issue but I was trying to install the Beta onto a partition which already had some data and was originally used from my Windows 2000. When nothing worked I decided to format the partition. I did it first from GParted from an Ubuntu installation I also have but that did not help (the setup stopped at the same step). I then formatted the partition from the setup and that worked!
      It looks for me like the data saved by Windows 2000 on that partition somehow influenced the setup and in some way disturbed the Group Policy installation. But maybe the reason is totally different, the most important part is that it has finally worked :-)

Best regards

Huckey
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi again,
      I noticed also that the GUID shown in the error message is not registered in the system registry. What can this result from? How can I get it registered?

Best regards

Huckey
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:08 AM
  • I've the same problem with him, can i request to get any solve of this problem

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Hi again,
      I finally managed to install the Beta so I wanted to share how it worked for me - maybe it can help someone.

The problem with DTC can be solved by hitting Shift+F10 when you get the error message displayed - you will get the command window. Then follow instructions listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891801/en-us, basically the following steps from that instruction are needed, here is a quote: "
    1. At a command prompt, type the following command:
      %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -uninstall
    2. Start Registry Editor, and then remove the following registry keys if they exist:
      • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CID
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSDTC
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MSDTC
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\MSDTC
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC
    3. At a command prompt, type %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -install.
    4. Wait for disk activity to stop, and then restore the startup type of the services that you changed to their original values.
    5. In the registry, create the following registry key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\XADLL
    6. At a command prompt, type regsvr32 mtxoci.dll.

You will receive a message that states that DllRegisterServer in Mtxoci.dll succeeded. Click OK to close the message.
    7. Restart your computer."

Although I was able to solve the problem with DTC I still was not able to finish the installation because I had another problem, this time with Group Policy. No matter what I could not get the service to start.

Now I do not know if that was the issue but I was trying to install the Beta onto a partition which already had some data and was originally used from my Windows 2000. When nothing worked I decided to format the partition. I did it first from GParted from an Ubuntu installation I also have but that did not help (the setup stopped at the same step). I then formatted the partition from the setup and that worked!
      It looks for me like the data saved by Windows 2000 on that partition somehow influenced the setup and in some way disturbed the Group Policy installation. But maybe the reason is totally different, the most important part is that it has finally worked :-)

Best regards

Huckey
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:22 AM
  • I have exactly the same error (the initial install problem) on a former Windows 2000 partition. Will try format and reinstall this evening. Thanks for following up your post with more info - I guess few of us are actually trying to move from Win2K to Win7!
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Thanx! This solution worked at a W2012R2 server where I had this problem.

Cor

Friday, April 1, 2016 10:35 AM
  • this process helped me in an identical error codes on a failing MSDTC.

thanks,

adi

• Edited by Adi Naar Thursday, November 3, 2016 1:41 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 1:40 PM