none
Windows 2016 Server Remote Desktop Display Fades Out RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I connect to a Windows 2016 server via Remote Desktop, the desktop appears nice and bright. 

However, after a few seconds, it fades out and goes so dark it is hard to read. How do I fix this so that the display does not go dark?

Ray Pietrzak

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:12 PM

All replies

• I have never heard of anything like that happening.  What sort of hardware configuration are you using for both the server and the client?

Also, you will reach more RDS experts in their forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverTS.  Maybe one of the experts over there have run into something like this sometime in their lifetime.

tim

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:09 PM
  • Try CTRL-ALT-END.  Then I hit cancel, then I closed RDP. 

Then  re-open the RDP.

This may help you,

https://www.gfisk.com/remote-desktop-black-screen/

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:11 PM
  • Hi,

Some questions so we could get a better picture of your problem:

1. Have you tried to locally log into the remote computer, will same issue happen again?

2. Did you made any changes on both client and server before issue occurred.

3.What is your version of client and how did you start the remote session? Via mstsc or the remote desktop client App?

4. Please also check the graphic drivers and update to the latest.

Looking forward to your update.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.
    If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Udara
    Sunday, October 20, 2019 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Have you got a chance to verify above suggestions?

Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:40 AM
  • None of the suggestions worked. However, I realized it only happens when I chose a remote desktop session in Full Screen, which is what I normally use. If I restore the window down, the desktop retains its brightness.

This is a virtual server, so I cannot log in locally. I have to use RDT.

Ray Pietrzak

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:50 PM
  • What is your hardware configuration?  What is the hypervisor for the virtual machine?

tim

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Please try with other clients PC with different resolutions if possible.

Or when you start the remote connection, manually change the display settings to confirm which resolution works best with your remote connection.

Thanks,

Jenny

Friday, October 25, 2019 2:54 AM