none
Windows 8 Upgrade fails after first reboot - "Reboot and select a proper boot disk"

General discussion

• Hi,

I am upgrading from Win 7 pro to Win 8 pro using the downloaded upgrade assistant. However, when followig the "Upgrade Now" path and click through the first few verifcation steps, the assistant then prompted me to restart, so I did.

After the restart, I get the error message "Reboot and select a proper boot disk" after the bios is loaded. Fortunately before upgrading I had made a recovery disc and taken a system image, however, I don't understand why this is happening.

When i boot off the recovery disc, it can no longer see that I have Windows 7 installed, however it seems to be able to detect the drive it was/is installed on fine (I have checked the cables etc to make sure they are not the cause of the issue). Its as if the assistant somehow removed Win7, then prompted me to restart, without an OS to actually boot into.

The drive I am using is a Samsung 830 series 128gb SSD for reference.

I will restore from my image, and probably choose to use the ISO method of install next time I try (although, if it is somehow invalidating my win7 install I may get the same error). But this is highly frustrating, any pointers on what is going wrong here?

Thanks

Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:44 PM

All replies

• Update on this - I will have to eat my words a bit - seems the cable was the issue. I swapped the SATA cable from my secondary drive with my primary SSD and things are back to normal (this is however, after I did the restore from my image, doh). I am a bit mystified as to what happened however, as it's not like I had touched them between begining the update and that reboot, maybe the disk boot priority somehow changed, I'm not sure. Anyway, I will try again and hopefully everything is resolved.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Update on this - I will have to eat my words a bit - seems the cable was the issue. I swapped the SATA cable from my secondary drive with my primary SSD and things are back to normal (this is however, after I did the restore from my image, doh). I am a bit mystified as to what happened however, as it's not like I had touched them between begining the update and that reboot, maybe the disk boot priority somehow changed, I'm not sure. Anyway, I will try again and hopefully everything is resolved.

Yup, normally the above error has to do with loosen or faulty cable connection or the drive is going south.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by Daniel Ho Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:05 AM
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Update again - as it turns out it was not a cable issue. Not sure what the actual cause was but it looks like it could have possibley been a driver issue.

After I had swapped my SATA cables the first time, I re-downloaded the Win8 upgrade assistant, and saved it to an ISO and burnt it to a disc. I rebooted with this disk in the drive and followed the steps which eventualy prompted me to boot into Win7 again and upgrade from there. However, when I rebooted I got the same error again.

So, I swapped my SATA cables back to the original configuration which then let me boot into Win7, which was confuses me greatly. I did however notice that when I logged in a pop-up appeared saying that it had detected my SSD drive and successfully installed the drivers.

A couple of days prior to this I had actually upgraded my SSD drive to a larger one. I didn't want to lose all my files so I had created system image, installed my new drive and restored the image onto it. This had all worked incredibly smoothly so I didn't think anything of it previously, but perhaps it had left me with a driver mismatch that was only unmasked when installing Win8.

Anyway, after all that Win8 installed fine and I am now happily using it.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:27 AM