none
WIndows 7 64bit USB issue

Question

• Ever since installing windows 7 64bit on my t61 thinkpad the usb ports act funny. When I plug in my 16gb thumbdrive it bluescreens. I tried reformatting it from fat to exfat and still the same thing happens. If I plug in a verizon air card (Usb) it cnnects, the green light goes on but nothing else. If I plug in my blackberry it will not show up as removeable media or anything, no driver install prompt however it charges the battery. I tried uninstalling the USB drivers and rebooting but still the same issues. Anyone have any ideas?
    -mi
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by mi23 Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Thank you!

-mi
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Doesn't look like the same issue to me.  The Lenovo uses an Intel chipset, and the problems in that other thread are being reported on Nvidia.  Also, I haven't seen any other reports from people plugging in a flash drive and crashing their system.

For the connection problems:

Have you tried rebooting while those devices are still connected to see if anything changes?

If not, try this:
    1) Open device manager and choose the option to view devices by connection. 
    2) Find all of the "Universal Host Controller" and "Enhanced Host Controller" devices in the tree, and expand the nodes.
    3) Connect the device

Do you hear a sound when you connect the device?
    Do you see anything new show up in device manager when you connect the device?

For the bluescreen:
    1) Click on the Windows Logo in the orb on the bottom of the screen
    2) Type "reliability"...while you are doing that, you should see a link appear in that menu that takes you to "view reliability history".  Click on that link.
    3) Look at one of the critical failures associated with a system crash
    4) Right click on the entry for it in the bottom part of that window, and select "view technical details"
    5) Click on Copy to Clipboard
    6) Paste the output in a message here.  That will give me more information about your crash.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:30 AM
  • mi23,
    As of now, Lenovo has only three general updates to apply for Win 7 for the T61. Here. I would ensure that you have the latest BIOS installed first. here. Then apply the Win 7 updates. Also, you can input your complete model type information for a specific list. Use Win 7 64-bit and Vista 64-bit. Once you get everything working and stable, save the drivers on removable storage for future reference. If you are using the Win 7 RC, you will need them again.

You can try Vista 64-bit drivers. They have helped in some cases. A notebook will need the drivers from the manufacturer as the hardware and drivers are specifically engineered for the product. Win 7 will only install generic versions.

Run Windows Update or the hardware Troubleshooter to find and perhaps resolve an issue.

Keep checking the Lenovo support site for updated drivers for Win 7. Many manufacturers are withholding drivers until the official release date. (or working to develop and test them)

Post back your result.
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:37 AM
  • The minute I plug it in it bluescreens. And if i keep it in, and restart it is fine.
    Source

Windows

Summary

Shut down unexpectedly

Date

10/6/2009 10:34 AM

Status

Not reported

Problem signature

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: a

BCP1: 0000000000000138

BCP2: 0000000000000002

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: FFFFF80002A72DCC

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

-mi
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:39 PM
  • The status says that it's not reported.  Can you please go back into the reliability monitor, pick that failure, then "check for solution"?

That will submit the crash info to Microsoft, and so you should get some additional information about the crash (like a Bucket ID).  With that info, I should be able to get more details on exactly what driver is crashing here.

Another option is to post the minidump that was created when your system crashed.  For details on how to share that, see Vivian Xing's post in this thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/b51a583a-a7b5-4054-a0ee-f8379975bb17/#aaac9ad1-c686-4dc0-b4c3-5a4fb0b8ae9e

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your hardware will work on Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Microsoft Logo'd Hardware List**
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:17 AM