none
"Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted"

Question

• I downloaded Windows Vista Enterprise via my TechNet Plus subscription, along with the Volume License Key associated with it.  After burning the image to a DVD and attempting to install (booted directly off the DVD to perform a clean install), I get to the point where it asks for my Product Key.  Upon entering the VLK I received and clicking on "Next", I receive the following message:

Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted.

I have restarted 3 times and get the same error every time.  I am attempting to install on a Dell Precision 490 system that states right on the system that it is Windows Vista Capable.  The DVD appears to work fine as it autoloaded on an XP system and displayed the initial install screen.  Has anyone else encountered this problem and know of a way to fix it?  Thanks.

-Christopher

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the link, however, it didn't address the particular issue I was having.  I ended up downloading the image again and burning to another DVD and this time it worked.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:45 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the link, however, it didn't address the particular issue I was having.  I ended up downloading the image again and burning to another DVD and this time it worked.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Try leaving the product key blank.
    • Proposed as answer by Wilson.Shen Monday, July 12, 2010 6:27 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Thanks, I ran into this issue as well.  I was able to continue with the installation by leaving the key blank.  Go figure
    • Proposed as answer by Wilson.Shen Monday, July 12, 2010 6:26 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Dears,

I'd download MSDN version Windows Server 2008 SP2.

And try to install on a HP Pro 3000 MT Desktop (Intel E5400 Chipset).

And I'd face same problem.

After I enter product Key and press [Next].

The error message appear "windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted".

And I'd try leave the product key blank and IT WORKED !.

Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by Wilson.Shen Monday, August 30, 2010 8:11 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:26 AM
  • I can add to this - I had the same problem with Server 2008 SP2 - 32bit. Leaving the product key blank only brought up a screen with "Longhorn Server Core" and "Longhorn Server" as options for installation. Continuing on left me with a copy of 2008 that was corrupted. It ran but various aspects crashed, including Windows Installer and Internet Explorer.

I went with the Server 2008 DVD without a service pack integrated and the problem is solved. Not sure if it's the image on technet or just a bad download.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:37 PM
  • I have been trying to install the Server 2008 sp2 32bit and fails on the Key as well. However if I leave the Key blank the install fails and closes to an error message about install.wim not being accessible or something like that. This is the 2nd disk I have downloaded and created(using different dl methods and disc creation utils). The original disk failed the same way yet they will install to VMWare just fine. Going to try the NON SP2 version as rmmccann did and will post an update.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:04 PM