the parameter is incorrect

my command is   imagex /capture c: g:\vista.wim "vista"

and i tried to backup D F IT Works , only system partitions can't be imaged

and G partition is NTFS

Help thx.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As I know, there are some bugs when using imagex /capture in Windows PE 2.0. I suggest trying Windows PE 2.1 which is included in Windows Automated Installation Kit 1.1.

Windows Automated Installation Kit 1.1 can be downloaded from the following site:

Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

If the issue persists, this issue can occur if your Drive C is almost full and has low free disk space. You may need to delete/move some files to let Drive C have 10-15% free disk space.

Please also make sure you have enough disk space to capture the image on Drive G.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I know, there are some bugs when using imagex /capture in Windows PE 2.0. I suggest trying Windows PE 2.1 which is included in Windows Automated Installation Kit 1.1.

Windows Automated Installation Kit 1.1 can be downloaded from the following site:

Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

If the issue persists, this issue can occur if your Drive C is almost full and has low free disk space. You may need to delete/move some files to let Drive C have 10-15% free disk space.

Please also make sure you have enough disk space to capture the image on Drive G.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:43 AM
  • Thx Tim Quan - MSFT I will try that
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 11:05 AM
  • Same problem here, however using WinPE 2.1, same error messages and the like, just won't image.

54.5GB/79.6GB Free, so space is no issue.
    What else could be causing this problem?
    Monday, December 08, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Hi Tim Quan,

I met the same problem as Alekandr met.
    It doesn't work for WinPE2.1, also I tried to use another computer to imagex the c drive. It doesn't work, either

Do you have any idea about this?
    I found that only the directories in c drive and c drive itself can't be "imagex".

thanks.
    Do we need to change winscript.ini or any other files for fixing this problem?

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:28 AM
  • Hi Alekandr,

Did you find the solution?
    Please share the solution with me if you fixed it.

thanks.
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Did you find a fix to this issue?  I am having the same issue.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Did you find a fix to this problem?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 5:52 PM
  • I can't believe, that it's the year 2009, and we're still getting this horrible quality code with such useless error messages from Microsoft coders as this:

Error imaging drive  [c:\]

the parameter is incorrect

What parameter?  Gee, that tells me everything!  Why do they even both with that much?  It doesn't help at all.

Come on guys!  You can program better than that.

I downloaded the latest WAIK just as directed above, and I get the same problem.

Here was the command line I used, following the example out of the 70-622 book:

imagex /compress fast /capture c: f:\image.wim "backup"

f: is a fully formatted HDD on USB.  I can change to it and create a file on it through WINPE but this command won't work.

Next I tried:

imagex /compress fast /capture c: c:\image.wim "backup" to try it on the same volume as the book example does.  Same useless error message.

Please help.  

Sunday, June 21, 2009 3:18 AM
  • There are some other tools out there that help make the creation and servicing of WIM files easier. SmartDeploy tools have additional functionality around splitting WIMs, progress display, and more. They even have a version with a UI that lets you browse to a reference virtual machine and it will convert it to a WIM offline for you.

SmartDeploy

• Edited by sbdunford Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Hello, I had the same problem with a Toshiba laptop. Talking to the support service, they told me the problem was with the recovery DVD (it could be damaged), and suggested that I should order a new one, paying like 40 € for that. I tried to make myself a copy of the damaged dvd in another computer and run it again in the Toshiba. The problem seems to be solved. My laptop is recovered nicely. Hope it will help you
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:47 PM
  • That has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. This is about ImageX, the tool used to create the WIM used to install Windows. We're Windows builders, you're a Windows user.

Unfortunately, Microsoft is only equipped to help users. Those of us that spend time bending and building Windows, paying Microsoft's bills by keeping Windows usable for the average joe... we don't get any real help. We get user advice like "have you tried rebooting" and crap. Thanks, Microsoft.

Also getting "The parameter is incorrect" on a very "unstable" drive volume. Chkdsk spent about 15 minutes sitting just past 100% and "security descriptors processed", grinding away at the drive, and later crapped out a report of a 3 GB USN journal having been verified. I use GImageX from Windows 7 SP1 x64, which allows me to "capture-format-apply" a drive to rebuild its file system and massively improve performance (to freshly-formatted speeds, without changing anything about the OS). It's worked on many other drives, but this one is turning out to... well... give me grief. ImageX is the only tool that can do this trick, though, so I'll have to find a way to fix this somehow. I'll post back with the solution later.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Found the cause, and the solution, but I still don't have a way to "track down" the cause in a given situation.

The cause is, CHKDSK does not check the volume for "too long" file names. Evidently, there's a limitation in Windows' filesystem APIs that prevents paths longer than a certain number of characters - 255, if I understand correctly. Similarly, there's a bug in most implementations that causes problems when filenames end with a space (such as "My Folder ") - the path gets "trim"'d and the space is discarded.

This comes up in this ImageX bug by having a path somewhere in the filesystem that's "too long" or "not compliant" - two things CHKDSK itself does not correct (even though it damn well should, like Scandisk used to do in DOS/Win9x). For example, after upgrading a Vista PC to Windows 7, here's the path it couldn't access:

"F:\$WINDOWS.~Q\DATA\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acer Crystal Eye Webcam Video Class Camera "

... it was the space at the end of the name - NOT shown in Process Monitor (which showed "NAME NOT FOUND"), but revealed in a CMD prompt by using TAB for autocomplete:

F:\$WINDOWS.~Q\DATA\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs>cd "Acer Crystal Eye Webcam Video Class Camera "

... which it also couldn't "CD" into. This is a common problem in Windows, where, for example, iTunes decides to build a long folder chain for the artist/album combinations - and gets stuck in some kind of loop:

C:\Users\Falcon\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Justice\Audio, Video, Disco\Audio, Video, Disco (Disc 1)\Audio, Video, Disco\Audio, Video, Disco (Disc 1)\Audio, Video, Disco\Audio, Video, Disco (Disc 1)\Audio, Video, Disco\Audio, Video, Disco (Disc 1)\Justice - Audio, Video, Disco - 11 - Audio, Video, Disco.m4a

... is 313 characters long, but only 252 characters at the path. So iTunes could put the file IN there, but it can no longer access the file itself due to its verbose naming and excessively long paths (not to mention getting stuck in some kind of loop, which I'd seen before).

So the solution? You'll need to build your own sort of "post-chkdsk check" script that scans for these bad paths and find a way to fix them. What I did with the Acer Crystal Eye Webcam folder, I CD'd into the folder from a command prompt (as above), then did a "dir /x" to show me the old DOS-style 8.3 filenames. Then, I just did "ren ACERCR~2 Acer" - which succeeded - then deleted the whole path (since it was an empty folder tree anyway). Then, ImageX was able to run.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Just found a possible way to find the filename with the space in it...

1. Do "dir /b /s /a > c:\list.txt" (where you're currently CD'd to the root of the drive being imaged, and C: is NOT the drive being imaged)
    2. Open list.txt in an advanced text editor like Notepad++ (capable of doing search/replace of line breaks)
    3. Search for \r\n (carriage return, new line), replace with "\r\n" - INCLUDING THE QUOTES. This will enclose all beginnings and ends of lines with quotes.
    4. Optionally, clean up the first and last lines' quotes - there will be a trailing quote at the end of the file, may as well delete it.
    5. Search for a space followed by a quote, as in between the underscores: _ "_
    6. Any match it finds is an invalid filename, as the space-quote combo indicates that the file name ends in a hidden space!

Just go to the command prompt, CD to that path's parent folder, and "dir /x" to find the short filename to be used to delete or rename the file. :)

A similar method can likely be used to identify long file paths, by scanning the file for the longest line.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Falcon4,

Thank you so much for posting this. I was getting the "parameter is incorrect" error during the WDS image capture wizard on an HP EliteBook with an XP installation on it. Using your instructions I was able to find a folder named "C:\Documents and Settings\Default " with the space character at the end. I renamed it and the drive imaged without error. This issue was killing me for the last week and your solution was a life saver. I have seen many other forums of people running into this using the WDS image capture wizard and hopefully they find this posting as well. Great job!

• Edited by SN-JDA Thursday, November 03, 2011 7:21 PM
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Hi Falcon4, maybe I'd a similar problem with ImageX as Centgo reported.
    When I'm imaging drive C (my System drive), I received, when process is 30% completed, "Error imaging drive C: - Cannot find path specified" error display. In drive C, I've "Windows 7 Enterprise Edition - SP1" (64-bit Operating System).
    Note that, formerly, I've often successfully imaged same drive C, using Imagex, with no errors.

I've read your investigation and your solution, but still I've some questions for you:

1) Can we say this error has same reason than error you've analyzed in your posts ?

2) If true, how I can, exactly, know which are directories that cause problems with ImageX because their too long name (or blanks) ?
    ImageX error message don't specify them. Concerning this, I don't see how "dir /x" command could help me.

3) Even if I knew them, what about System Directories (if they cause problems), that I suppose they can't renamed, for their proper function ?

I thank you in advance.

Best regards.

Monday, January 02, 2012 10:07 AM
  • The only reason you could not see how the commands would help you is if you don't understand why they're there, or don't understand the problem described to begin with. It's quite important that you go up and re-read my post(s) above, understand the cause of THIS problem and why my posted solution has solved this problem in this thread, and see if your problem is the same thing. If not, I don't know how to help you.
    Monday, January 02, 2012 10:11 AM