none
Upgrading from XP Pro to 7 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I need a little help with some upgrade questions. We are all running XP on a domain. (SBS 2003) We are looking in to upgrading and to start, is it any cheaper to buy an upgrade for XP as opposed to a full OEM. Is it possible to upgrade with a full version without ending up with a duel boot Machine? Having XP and 7 in the boot.INI?

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• The OEM license is almost always the least expensive way to go, but it does have its draw backs.  I just looked up Windows 7 Pro - OEM at Newegg.com and its listed for $140 for either the 32 or 64-bit version, which is $60 cheaper than the upgrade at Frys.com (regional computer/tech chain).

As for the duel boot thing, if you are going to purchase OEM licenses, I suggest you just backup the user data on your SBS server and just do fresh installs of Windows 7.  If you want to make your life even easier, spend a good 2 weeks and use the WAIK tools to make an image.  You can capture it with ImageX and deploy it to the individual computers and just change the activation code after the image is done installing but before you activate Windows.

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Thank you,

The more I read, the more I wonder if there is such a thing as an upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. Without backing up data and mainly reinstalling all the software. I know backing up data is just smart. Is this because there is such a difference in the directory structure between XP and Vista or 7?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:21 PM
  • There is a different directory structure for the users container as its now called Users and not Documents and Settings.  On top of that, the music, video, pictures, and documents folders are all individual folders, not grouped into one.

For your migration, you could use windows easy migration tool, but I highly suggest NOT transferring the shared programs as it can cause blue screens.  this will transfer other things like office dictionaries, start menu settings, as well as the entire profile store.  You will need an external HDD for this, or a larger flash drive (32GB minimum). 

Hope that helps!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Just one more question.

I think I am going to get a cleaner more stable installation of Windows 7 if it is a clean install.

Opinions?

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:45 PM
  • yes a fresh install will go much smoother for you.
    • Marked as answer by akersrus Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:52 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:15 PM