none
The Printer Driver Package Cannot be Installed

Question

• Hi,

I bought an Epson SX130 printer today and I unable to install the necessary printer driver on my computer. The people from Epson assure me that they have given me all of the advice that they can, that there is no problem with the driver, and that my computer system must be blocking the installation somehow. Could somebody please offer me some advice on how to remedy this issue.

I am running Windows 7 starter- 32 Bit

Many thanks,

Simon

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• 1. What does it means that you has not been able to install driver. First adwice that comes is: Ask more experienced friend for help or place this question in answers.microsoft.com forum(s).

2. If you were given more relevant information, we could try to help you:

a. Installation does not mean that you connect printer and install driver. Usually software is installed first and installation asks for connecting printer during installation. Any more information on your procedure?

b. You have not given any info on the connection type. It is not our duty to study installation manuals and tech specification of your printer. Have you read guides?

c. What do you see in Device manager and Event logs?

Regards

Milos

PS:There is a rule, the cheaper the device, the more expensive is setup and maintenance. There are very few exceptions.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Milos, thank you for taking the time to reply. Your P.S was especially enlightening.

I have placed my query here as this is an issue that I have seen in various forums today without any successful or clear resolution.

I am using an Acer Aspire One netbook which does not come with a CD Rom hence my need to download the drivers for my printer from the Epson website.

I downloaded the Scanner driver without any issue as I was told to by the people at Epson after my first unsuccessful attempt at downloading the software and printer driver package. This was done simply and successfully.

I then tried to download the Printer driver from the same site. I download the driver and attempt to complete the set-up. I select my printer and then wait for the installation process to begin. It is then that I receive the message which is the title of my query:

The Printer Driver Package Cannot be Installed

I would genuinely appreciate some help with this problem, but I would also be quite happy to get none if it means not being addressed with condescension by someone only pretending to want to help.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please let us know if your printer can work properly without the special driver. I meant that when your connect the printer, Windows will detect it and install general driver for it automatically. Did it have any issue here?

Also, please let us know if you can install other application or Windows Update successfully.

Meanwhile, please try the following:

1. Test the issue again using another computer.

2. Run this Microsoft Fixit and see how it works.

Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for taking the time to help.

When I first brought the printer home and connected it to my netbook, the printer was recognised but only two of the four installations it was attempting to do were completed successfully.

Now the scanner is recognised but it does not recognise the printer at all.

I don't currently seem to have any other issues with installations or Windows updates.

My girlfriend installed the printer driver I need on her computer without any issues.

I have followed the Microsoft Fixit process without any success.

I really appreciate your help as I am really at a loss here.

Best,

Simon

Friday, August 31, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update.

I have did some further research, let’s try the following and see how it works.

1. Use Disk Cleanup utility to empty temporary files.
    2. In Start Menu search box, please input Services.msc and make sure that Printer Spooler Service is running.

If issue persists, please let me know the following:

1. Let me know what the edition of Windows your girlfriend use, is it also 32-bit?
    2. Let me know the amount of free hard drive space that Windows is installed on.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Sunday, September 02, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,
    I really appreciate your continued help.

I did the things you suggested but I still have the same problem with the installation.

My Printer Spool claims to be running properly. I stopped it and started it again, but without coming closer to a resolution of the problem.

I'm not sure if my girlfriend is running a 32-bit version. I know that she got an upgrade from the starter Windows 7 that I am using.

I have well over half of my hard drive empty so I don't think this is the answer either.

It is all very frustrating and confusing!

Thanks again.

Simon
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Please uninstall the printer via Devices and Printers. Re-plug in it and let Windows automatically install it.

If it still fails, please copy CBS.log file (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS), setupact.log file and setuperr.log (C:\Windows\Panther) to your Desktop, upload them to SkyDrive for further research.

Use SkyDrive to upload collected files.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Monday, September 03, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I couldn't uninstall the printer as it just doesn't appear there.

I have tried to upload the files you asked for via SkyDrive. 

I was unable to upload setuperr.log as it tells me the file is empty.

This is a problem I seem to have with my computer. It sometimes tells me files are empty when I know that they are not. This doesn't really mean anything to me but perhaps it will help you somehow.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thank you for your continued help,

Simon

Monday, September 03, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I have built a Windows 7 Starter machine and managed to install the driver.

Epson Stylus SX130 Driver (6.80)

Therefore, let’s try the following and see how it works.

1. Boot into Clean Boot Mode.

2. Download and install the above Driver.

If issue persists, please also try to upload the CBS.log file, Setupact.log file and setuperr.log file for research.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:32 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I tried in the mode you suggested but I still got the same message.

I have uploaded the files you asked for to SkyDrive, although setuperr.logfile remains empty.

Really appreciate all your help,

Simon

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Please refer to Use SkyDrive to upload collected files and post a link to your SkyDrive here.

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I hope this link is right:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5183F042AB88ECFC!152

Best,

Simon

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Hi Simon,

After checking the logs, I also notice some errors with Windows Update.

Therefore, please also check the following:

1. Type winver.exe in Start Menu Search Box and make sure that Service Pack 1 is installed.

You can also capture a screenshot of it and let us check it for you.

2. Go to Windows Update -> View update history, make sure all the updates were installed successfully.

Please also upload Windowsupdate.log file to SkyDrive for check.

In addition, please try the following:

1. Download and run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 32-bit.

2. Run System File Checker tool and see how it works.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I have added the windowsupate.log to my skydrive and I am now in the process of downloading the system update tool

Fingers crossed!

Simon

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Sorry, the computer tells me that I do have service pack 1 installed correctly
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I downloaded and ran the System update tool without any discernible action being taken.

I also ran the system file checker tool which said it did not find any system integrity violations.

Sorry for being such a pain with all of this!

Simon

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:33 AM
  • Hi Simon,

The machine does not join any domain, right? First verify that the printer driver is applied to your system architecture (32-bit).

Then open the local group policy editor for some driver installation related group policy checking.

a. Open group policy editor by running GPEdit.msc.

b. Locate to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Printers

c. Check if there is any group policy enabled on the right panel. At the same time, please disable group policy Point and Print Restrictions.

d. Locate to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Device Installation->Device Installation Restrictions

e. Then make sure you have no restrictions group policy enabled on the right panel.

After that, please send me the link where you downloaded the printer driver so that I can do a local test in my lab environment.

Thanks,

Spencer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Hi Spencer,

Thank you for your help.

I've tried to follow the instructions you sent but I am told no items match my search when I input GPEdit.msc.

Here is the link to the where I am attempting to download the drivers from:

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/support/10839

With the first option, Network Software and Driver package, I am able to download the problem successfully but when I get to the point where I am supposed to select my printer, there are no options given for me to select from.

With the Printer Driver download I get the message which is the title of the this thread.

Thanks again for your help,

Simon

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi Simon,

I tested the link you send to me on a Windows 7 Enterprise version machine and it works well. I can install the driver without any issue. Can you double confirm with the vendor that this printer driver is compatible with Windows 7 Starter machine?

At the same time, some other suggestions for you:

1, Please disable UAC of the machine:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

2, Make sure you the current logon user is a local administrator and have full control of the following folder:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore

3, After you downloaded the driver package, let try to manually install the driver other than double click the epson328202eu.exe

a, Use a compression software such as WinRAR to extract the epson328202eu.exe, then we will get the E_DF1HJE.inf, e_df1hje.cat and WINX86 folder.

b, Then open the Devices and Printers window, and start the add printer procedure.

c, On the Install Printer Driver step, select Have Disk… and browse to the E_DF1HJE.inf.

Then check if the driver would be installed.  

Thanks,

Spencer 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hi Spencer,

I followed your instructions and was given this error message: Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000057).

Espon confirmed that there are no known issues with Windows 7 starter compatibility.

I appreciate all of your help but it feels like there is an issue here that can probably only be resolved by somebody who knows what they are doing physically going into my computer.

I don't want to waste your time going round in circles!

Best,

Simon

Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:01 AM
  • Hi Simon,

You are welcome. It’s my pleasure to help you. Error 00000057 always indicates a permission issue. Some suggestions for you.

Step 1. Please check if you have full control of the following files:

%systemroot%\system32\driverstore:

infcache.1

infpub.dat

infstor.dat

infstrng.dat

Step 2. If we have full control of the above files but still get the error, we can backup these files first then delete them to check if we can install the driver.

Step 3. Run the following command so that we can get proper permission for installing driver.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Step 4: One forum I found may help us:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/nl-NL/itmanager/thread/a225d71c-be8b-4530-bf50-63001559a978

You are right that only with the description, it is hard to detect the root cause of the issue. With some logs analysis would be more efficient. You can use a tool namely Process Monitor to trace the issue, then check if there is any Access Denied error reported during the process. Usually, grant full control of the files with Access Denied we found in the process monitor log would be resolve the issue.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

By the way, can you install other printer drivers with the driver package?

Thanks,

Spencer

Friday, September 07, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I am not sure whether you have sorted this or not, but....I had theee EXACT same problem until 5 minutes ago.  My system showed that I was running windows 32 bit, so this is the driver I downloaded - which as you know would not install.  I then had a windows update, checked the urgent ones and noticed that they all said 64 bit?????!!!!!!!!!  So, I went on to download the driver from epson for the 64 bit version as a gamble and low and behold it downloaded, installed and now I have just printed my first document......worth a try???

Jo

• Edited by Josephine632 Thursday, July 02, 2015 1:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Josephine632 Thursday, July 02, 2015 1:46 PM
    Thursday, July 02, 2015 1:24 PM
  • it works for me in windows 10 64-bit . . i just remove device from (print and scanner), unplug and plugin the port then run the driver . . thanks man . . 
    Saturday, August 25, 2018 2:47 AM