none
Not able to Activate Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I am a retired IT professional and have successfully updated many PC's for family and friends from Win 7 to Win 10, in the past. 

In Jan 2019, I started work at a church using their old, but powerful PC.  It is an HP with 8G Ram, a 2.93 Ghz duo core Intel CPU, and 500G hard drive, connected to a network server.    It originally had Windows Vista (according to a tag on the outside) and eventually had been upgraded to Win 7 Home.  

We joined Tech Soup (for non-profits) and through them, acquired licenses to upgrade 5 PCs.  I did mine first and was led to believe I could use the Enterprise version upgrade to go to Win 10 Pro.  I have since been told that I needed a different version, which I purchased.  To compound the problem, I installed the Win 10 Pro N version.  Now I can't activate it.

I was advised by our local on-call Tech Support, that I only needed to get a valid key and I would not need to reinstall anything.  However, that has not been the case.  I believe the Network version is my bigger problem.  Yesterday, I tried going through the setup again, but it doesn't allow me to choose a different version.

Please advise me as to what to do now.  This has been going on since Aug 7th. I'm not even sure that restoring it to Windows 7 is still an option (my Windows.old/Recovery is empty).  Everything else is working fine; I just keep getting the "Activate Window" ghost in the bottom right hand corner of the monitor.  I've paid the fees and should be legal.  How do I change from Win 10 Pro N to Win 10 Pro and convey this to Microsoft? 

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What error message do you get when you try to activate?

What type of product key did you get? Version(windows 10?) and edition(Professional?) and Channel(volume, Retail, OEM?)?

Open an elevated CMD prompt

run DISM /online /gettargeteditions

This should list the editions that you can upgrade to.

Try using set-edition with DISM to do the upgrade if the list shows the edition you want to upgrade to and you have the correct product key

See this link for syntax

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/dism-windows-edition-servicing-command-line-options

Windows 10 Pro N edition is the No media edition, should be the same and the Windows 10 Professional edition but without Media Player.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

What licenses did you get from Tech Soup?

Which version did you purchased?

Btw, Windows 10 Pro N and Windows 10 Pro are entirely different editions and doesn't have supported migrating path.

If you want to install win 10 pro, you need to reinstall.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:37 AM
  •   Everything else is working fine; I just keep getting the "Activate Window" ghost in the bottom right hand corner of the monitor.  I've paid the fees and should be legal.  How do I change from Win 10 Pro N to Win 10 Pro and convey this to Microsoft? 

On the computer, open a Command Prompt, type slmgr /ato, hit Enter. The /ato command causes the operating system to attempt activation by using whichever key has been installed in the operating system.

To change from Pro N to Pro, you'll need to purchase Pro edition with it's own Product Key.

Since you have already a license for Pro N, you can download and install the Media feature pack for Windows 10 N - this adds the media-related technologies functionality as in the Pro edition.

Obinna C. Onwusobalu ~ MCSA MCTS MCITP

It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.

windowshelper.home.blog

Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to let us know. 

Best regards. 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi Darrell Gorter

The command displayed:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /online /gettargeteditions

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17763.1

Image Version: 10.0.17763.737

Error: 87

The gettargeteditions option is unknown.
    For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Switching to administrative powershell it displayed:

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> DISM /online /gettargeteditions

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17763.1

Image Version: 10.0.17763.737

Error: 87

For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

How come it is displaying Error: 87 ??

Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:05 AM
  • Hello,

My bad I missed a dash in the command

try this instead:

DISM /online /get-targeteditions

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 20, 2019 7:19 PM
  • That worked.

Thx.

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:23 PM
  • Hi, 

Was your issue resolved? 

If you need any help, feel free to post in our forum. 

Best regards. 

Monday, September 30, 2019 8:21 AM