none
PaperPort Install Problem Windows 7

Question

•   My OS in Windows 7 Ultimate.  PaperPort came with a Brother Laser printer but will not install.  When installing from
    install disk, i get a message that paperport requries latest service
    pack.  There are no service packs for Windows 7. Question is how to
    install paperport on computer that is running Windows 7?
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hello.

For me, the file I needed to install was in the <disk drive>:\install\paperport\program folder and I right-clicked on 'setup.exe' and selected 'Run as administrator.' I am running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and this worked fine for me.

The install file you need may be different, but I found mine by opening the <disk drive>:\install\paperport\InstPPSE.ini file in a text editor. There is a property in there called InstPath which should have the value of the install path and file you need for PaperPort installation.

Hope this helps.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:00 AM
  • This is to inform everyone that PP12 is out.

http://www.nuance.com/imaging/products/paperport.asp

Shows it supposed to work with Windows 7.
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 11:27 AM

All replies

• Try installing in the compatibility mode for Vista or XP.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Ask here http://knowledgebase.nuance.com/

Your version of Paperport might not be compatible with Vista or Windows 7, or any x64 OS.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:03 PM
  • I have asked Nuance about whether and when Paperport will work with Windows 7.
    They have not answered any questions about this issue.

For those who are interested here is an answer from Nuance.

About Windows XP

*** Email Sent to **** -Call Date:8/25/2009-Time:9:49:41 AM -

Thank you for contacting Nuance Customer Service.

Regarding your inquiry, we apologize but we weren t able to test Paperport software on the said application, thus, it is not guaranteed to work on that.

We offer 30-day money back guarantee if in case you want to try the software. Regardless from where you purchased it, you as long as you have your receipt, you’re entitled for the said guarantee period.

This is a request is about Windows 7

Paperport 11 is not tested to work with Windows 7 but you may try but there is no guarantee. Surely will have a version  in the future that will be compatible with that application.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,

We will have to see what they do.

• Edited by jl747 Friday, August 28, 2009 11:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 11:02 AM
  • This is to inform everyone that PP12 is out.

http://www.nuance.com/imaging/products/paperport.asp

Shows it supposed to work with Windows 7.
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 11:27 AM
  • Hello.

For me, the file I needed to install was in the <disk drive>:\install\paperport\program folder and I right-clicked on 'setup.exe' and selected 'Run as administrator.' I am running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and this worked fine for me.

The install file you need may be different, but I found mine by opening the <disk drive>:\install\paperport\InstPPSE.ini file in a text editor. There is a property in there called InstPath which should have the value of the install path and file you need for PaperPort installation.

Hope this helps.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:00 AM
  • ah, nm, followed your directions a little closer and it worked, thanks :-)

• Edited by jbailey895 Monday, November 02, 2009 8:31 PM retried info
    Monday, November 02, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hello rlbMAX,

Could you please give more details. I tried to follow your instructions but with no success. I have Windows 7 (64 bit) and Paperport 11. It seems like I donot have the file InstPPSE.ini

Thanks!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Ok, here is how I got the whole package from my Brother MFC and PaperPort 11 with the printer utility.

First if you have tried to install the suite or paperport and are having issues uninstalling through windows download this wonderful program that removes everything called Revo Uninstaller at www.revouninstaller.com and choose the freeware version.

Now go to the Brother website and search for the Windows 7 MFLPRO Suite and you should download a zip file that contains the suite for multiple MFC’s. Unzip it and set it aside. This is only the Brother Suite for the Brother MFC and the Control Center 3.

PaperPort 11 will have to be installed from the actual CD that came with your printer. Inside the CD with Windows Explorer File System locate the file Inst32.exe that should be inside the CD under the install folder then MFC-465CN (my model) then usa folder. Remember the location.

Now set everything aside and let’s start. Open up control panel, click on programs and features then choose Run programs made for previous versions of Windows. You have just opened up program commutability, now click next and wait now choose not listed and press next. Browse and fine the Inst32.exe file that I mentioned earlier. Now click next and then choose Try Recommended Settings, Next your setting should say applied and compatible with Windows XP SP2, then you will see a tab on the next screen that says Start the program. Click on it and allow it to start installing this will start the suite and the first thing that installs is PaprPort,   be patient let it continue to run and after it will install the PaoperPort print driver, then after it will start into the MFL PRO Suite. This is where my installation halted because the suite is a 32Bit version it would not continue. I looked and PaperPort program and printer where installed. Close it up and pres next.

Finally now you can install the MFL PRO for Windows 7. Open up the folder you downloaded from Brother and look for your model and you will see the setup.exe application, click on it and start installing MFL PRO along with Control Center 3. That’s it, and your setup should be complete.

Hope this help, let me know.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Ok, here is how I got the whole package from my Brother MFC and PaperPort 11 with the printer utility.

First if you have tried to install the suite or paperport and are having issues uninstalling through windows download this wonderful program that removes everything called Revo Uninstaller at www.revouninstaller.com and choose the freeware version.

Now go to the Brother website and search for the Windows 7 MFLPRO Suite and you should download a zip file that contains the suite for multiple MFC’s. Unzip it and set it aside. This is only the Brother Suite for the Brother MFC and the Control Center 3.

PaperPort 11 will have to be installed from the actual CD that came with your printer. Inside the CD with Windows Explorer File System locate the file Inst32.exe that should be inside the CD under the install folder then MFC-465CN (my model) then usa folder. Remember the location.

Now set everything aside and let’s start. Open up control panel, click on programs and features then choose Run programs made for previous versions of Windows. You have just opened up program commutability, now click next and wait now choose not listed and press next. Browse and fine the Inst32.exe file that I mentioned earlier. Now click next and then choose Try Recommended Settings, Next your setting should say applied and compatible with Windows XP SP2, then you will see a tab on the next screen that says Start the program. Click on it and allow it to start installing this will start the suite and the first thing that installs is PaprPort,   be patient let it continue to run and after it will install the PaoperPort print driver, then after it will start into the MFL PRO Suite. This is where my installation halted because the suite is a 32Bit version it would not continue. I looked and PaperPort program and printer where installed. Close it up and pres next.

Finally now you can install the MFL PRO for Windows 7. Open up the folder you downloaded from Brother and look for your model and you will see the setup.exe application, click on it and start installing MFL PRO along with Control Center 3. That’s it, and your setup should be complete.

SubTropical I would like to thank you for your excellent instructions (pasted above).  I followed them and was able to successfully install Paperport 11 and MFL Pro Suite on Windows 7.  Yay!
    Friday, January 22, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Can you tell me where you found Windows 7 MFLPRO Suite on the Brother site? I did a search but came up with nothing.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:22 PM
  • You are the a genius - thanks soo much for taking the time to document your solution - saving me lots of searching and head scratching!  I got Paperport & Brother MFL PRO and control center in.  Don't worry folks if you get an error when you try to install with inst32.exe - Paperport is already installed

TO find  the Windows 7 version of MFL PRO go here

http://www.brother-usa.com/downloads/default.aspx?ProductGroupID=5

and choose your printer.  There is also a special uninstall tool for Windows 7 x64 drivers if you need it.

Regards,

Louise
    Monday, February 01, 2010 7:30 AM
  • TO find  the Windows 7 version of MFL PRO go here

http://www.brother-usa.com/downloads/default.aspx?ProductGroupID=5
    Monday, February 01, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you! I talked with two Brother techs over the past 2 days who tried to lead me through a process that was totally unsuccessful in getting PaperPort 11 installed correctly. Your approach worked perfectly!
    Friday, February 05, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Just letting all know that the reply from rlbMAX worked for me, though I did not have to right-click and pick administrator. I just opened paperport up and installed. It worked fine, and I have a system 7 .... So, thank you!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:41 PM
  • PaperPort 12 does not run reliably on Win 7 PRO.  I have had nothing but trouble with NUANCE products since PaperPort 11 came out.  NUANCE seems to have RIFed all of the ScanSoft developers that first brought PaperPort to market after they split from Kurzweil/Xerox.  Consumers and developers should avoid NUANCE Software products at all cost.   They don't stand behind their products, and they most importantly, don't stand up to support their customers. 
    I was one of the developers who designed the first network scanner, and the ScanSoft-Kurzweil/Xerox team put together some awesome software.  NUANCE must have gutted the development team and put substandard products on the shelf.  Someone at Microsoft should investigate whether NUANCE should or should not be allowed to put Windows 7, 64 compliant, because it isn't!

Moore's law does not advance by itself. People implement it. Jastrow's Enchanted Loom wasn't as visionary as we thought it was.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:33 AM
  • Thanks For your Help on this It works perfectly!!!
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:41 AM
  • IT WORK FOR ME!!!.... THANK YOU rlbMAX....
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:49 AM
  • IT WORK FOR ME!!!.... THANK YOU rlbMAX....
    • Proposed as answer by DAVIDOW Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:49 AM
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:49 AM
  • also found a way to load the virtual "print to paperport"on Windows 7 and Paperport 12

open Paperport install cd in windows explorer

click on PPImgPrinter

Extract the Data1.rar file  into the same PPImgPrinter folder by right clicking Data1, Extract here

click on  "imgprnmigrate"

that will migrate the printer driver from Vista/XP comp mode into 7

voila!! Print to Paperport running PP12 on Windows 7

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:34 AM
  • I tried rlbMAX's solution below but it worked a little different.

I loaded the CD and quit when it started. I then opened the CD and right clicked on 'Start32' and selected "Run as Administrator".

Saturday, July 03, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I downloaded the drives from brothers.com.   Click on support then under more support options put the type of product you have.  Follow the string of questons then download the drives.   Then i plugged in my usb cable from my printer and it recognized it and started working.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Here's what worked for me to install the MFL-Pro Suite on a Win 7 32-Bit machine.

Of course thething that got me here in the first place was the error popup that PaperPort needed me to install "the latest service pack", which is... hooey.

Then, trying to follow rlbMAX's solution I got a new stop-popup:

I couldn't install from the Brother MFC-885CW CD because the "process" (...of the DVD drive) needed to be closed. "Stop the process or retry."

So I copied the entire CD to a hard drive, then ejected the CD.

Next, I navigated to subfolder mflpro > Setup885CW > Eng > and in there was BRINST.INI, LauncherStr.dll, and Setup.exe.

Rt. Clicked on Setup.exe, chose "Run as Administrator" and that launched the familiar blue setup screen.

Good luck and thanks for the ideas, you led me in the right direction.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:14 PM
  • BIG THANK YOU

TOOK LESS THAN 2 MINUTES

Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:20 PM
  • I tried rlbMAX's solution worked. Thank you very much...
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:52 AM
  • Just came across this post.

Running Win7 32 bit and Paperport 12.1.

Upgraded from XP and Paperport 9.

I tried everything, including suggestions here to get the Paperport Image Printer to work. It looked like it was printing but nothing every happened. I thought it may have been due to the recent addition of a Canon laser printer.

I was ready to reinstall the program and as a last resort, I unchecked "Run this program as the administrator" in the program icon on the desktop for Paperport.

Immediately the PP Image Printer started working. It still does not tile over my browser and I have to open it from the flashing icon on the bottom of the screen, but it works PERFECTLY.

So if all else fails, try this tip. Hope it helps. It was certainly frustrating.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:01 PM
  • I bought and installed paperport 12 . it is inferior to paperport 11. I am looking on how to uninstall v. 12 and reinstall v 11
    Monday, November 01, 2010 11:05 AM
  • "Open up control panel, click on programs and features then choose Run programs made for previous versions of Windows. "

I'm having trouble at this stage - where is this option? If I pen Programs and features I get a list of currently installed programs plus the choices on the left View Installed updates, Turn windows features on and off and install a program from the network. That's it, nothing about previous versions. I'm using Windows 7 Pro.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:32 AM
  • I tried right clicking on the inst32.exe file and choosing compatibility mode and this let the original CD install run. It stopped with an error half way through, so i rebooted and checked but there are still no paperport drivers installed . However there is now a Paperport icon in the programs list in Control panel. If I right click on this and choose repair it says 'Windows can't install the Paper Port colour printer driver kernel mode printer driver -to obtain a version that is compatible with the version of windows that you are running, contact the manufacturer. NAy further ideas?
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:20 AM

This worked for me.  The Brother driver installed in Win7 but the paperport did not.  Using the part fo the directions here from control panel allowed me to install it directly from the disk.

thanks.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:23 PM
  • I'm still getting an error when trying to "Scan to OCR" using either the Control Center or directly from the printer options on the printer itself (Brother MFC 9840-CDW).  The documents feed through to scan, but an error pops up on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit that cites the following error:

CONTROLCENTER3

THIS FEATURE IS NOT AVAILABLE BECAUSE THERE IS NO OCR SOFTWARE INSTALLED.

PLEASE INSTALL THE OCR SOFTWARE FIRST.

(CC3-108-00031109)

I'm at a loss, as both Control Center 3 and PaperPort 11 are installed using the above instructions in this thread.  Any ideas why OCR won't work for me?  Thank you in advance.

FYI: Scanning to Image or to File will work fine, but OCR is definitely nice to have working again...it did fine in Windows XP...

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Has anyone run Paperport 12.1 on Windows 7 SP1?  If so, are there any problems?
    Monday, June 06, 2011 9:50 PM
  • this works just go to your programs in the root dir. and look for nusance folder and find click on "imgprnmigrate" click on it it works
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:28 PM
  • More than one year later you are still helping people to solve issues,  I am so happy that I have found this, that I needed to write you this note just to say "thank you very much"... hope you keep sharing your knowledge!!!!
    Monday, February 27, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Pretty much everyone is right here, give or take a few suggestions. I actually found my answer here on your post. You DO have to configure it manually and Windows 7 pretty much does much of the work for you. With my Brother I had to go into e:/ menu and select ISScript10 in the paperport folder. After this installed I went back to the folder to selected the install file (I think it was ScanSoft Paperport 11 or something like that). During the installation it will ask you how you want it to find the machine to be installed and you will need to type in the brand and model name manually rather than letting it automatically find it. After the scanner/driver is installed you can then install your Suite without any problems. The program will be in your older computer program files when the installation is complete and I made a shortcut on my desktop from there so it would be handy for me. Good luck ... I really didn't want to go out and buy another printer either :) 
    • Proposed as answer by kenocchio Friday, March 09, 2012 5:17 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 5:16 PM