none
is it possible to prevent a installed program from making changes to services when it gets updated? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say I access: Services > ProgramServiceNameHere

and change the Startup Type from 'automatic' to 'manual'

Every time there is an update to this program it changes the service back to the default (automatic), is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

• Edited by GuL87 Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Probably no. For tools like antivirus software, it might force some services to automatic from other status to monitor the computer.

In this case, you could reach to the developer of software to investigate if any changes could prevent or use script/ third party tools to change back the status.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Hello,

Try setting the service Startup type to Manual in registry. Check if this works. 

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2019 5:34 AM
  • I mean... if there is a way to do it I will wait for an answer, you said "probably not" so you're not 100% sure, the other guy mentioned the registry, but all the changes made in the services.msc were also automatically applied to the registry.

I kinda felt like this was something that the user should have control over... like, maybe by messing with the permissions of the software's registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\...) I guess it's never that simple. :/

• Edited by GuL87 Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

We have no idea which service you are referring to and we are also not sure the dependency and the triggers of such service. That's why I said probably no. As explained above, for some software it will force service status to default based on its requirements for running.

In this case, you should contact provider to check what services are involved and whether the change of status would be effective.

Thanks,

Jenny

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:43 AM