none
Windows 7 Install keyboard problem

Question

• I've got a custom build PC with an Intel BOXDX58SO motherboard.
    This motherboard only has USB ports and no PS/2

During the Windows 7 install, I get all the way through the first reboot.  Then when the system comes back up, it asks for the product key, but the keyboard and mouse dont work.  
    I can't continue/complete the installation.

The mouse and keyboard worked fine in Vista, and were not listed as a problem from the advisor.
    If I disable USB legacy support in the BIOS, then I lose both keyboard and mouse at the OS selection menu (Safe mode/Continue install menu)
    With USB legacy enabled I can enter Safe mode which then fails to load and says I must complete the Windows install first.

Is there a way to get pass this? 
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:02 PM

Answers

• OK an update on whats happened here.

I called Microsoft and opened a ticket.  The first tech was unable to help so the issue got escalated to tier 2 support.

I spent all day on the phone with tier 2 support and we got past the keyboard issue only by moving the hard drive to a different PC with PS/2 ports and finishing the install using a PS/2 keyboard.
    Unfortunately, after installation completed, there remain major problems with the install.  The event log has many Kernel-PnP event id 239 errors.  The device manager shows all the USB hubs in panic as well as the CD Rom, Firewire, COM1 and floppy disk.  Installing/updating drivers for these components does not fix their panic status. I'm pretty sure the upgrade process was a total failure.

I then shrunk the partition and performed a clean install on a new partition.  The system is up and running, fully functional.  Now I need to migrate the files and applications... oh joy.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:02 PM

All replies

• Also, I've tried 3 different keyboards and tried all USB ports available on the motherboard.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:04 PM
  • bump
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:12 PM
  • I've updated the BIOS to the latest release and still lose the keyboard and mouse at the "Type your Windows product key" menu.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Hi,

Did you perform a clean install or an in-place upgrade? Can you boot in Windows Vista currently? If so, please try to uninstall and reinstall USB controller. Moreover, try to apply the latest USB hotfixs as well.

For references:

Microsoft USB wired keyboard does not respond or types wrong characters

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:20 AM
  • This is an in-place upgrade of Windows Vista Home Premium x64.  There are no options for booting Vista any more.  

I can boot off the install CD and launch repair tools which see the Windows 7 installation but doesnt diagnose any problems with its start up.
    I can also launch the Comand Prompt and analyze the windows install, change files and execute simple programs.   
    I tried running 'cscript slrmgr.vbs -ipk (product key here)'  and it errors out.  Thinking maybe this will get me pass the Product key prompt.

Would there be a way to manually hotfix the USB drivers while in the repair command prompt?  Perhaps some other way to enter the product key and get pass this step?
    Or maybe a way to drop unattended install files onto the install so that it'll take off from there?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Do you own a Windows Vista Recovery disc? Try to use Windows Vista Recovery disc to roll back to Windows Vista and apply the USB hotfix I mentioned above.

Please note: we provide this link to download  for technical only, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any change on this website.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:19 AM
  • Unfortunately i do not have a recovery disk.  Is this a disk created through the Vista install or a downloadable disk such as the ones listed here?

The link in your post just refreshes this page.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:41 AM
  • I do have the Windows Vista install CD, but it fails install saying that a current install is in progress and quits.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:44 AM
  • OK an update on whats happened here.

I called Microsoft and opened a ticket.  The first tech was unable to help so the issue got escalated to tier 2 support.

I spent all day on the phone with tier 2 support and we got past the keyboard issue only by moving the hard drive to a different PC with PS/2 ports and finishing the install using a PS/2 keyboard.
    Unfortunately, after installation completed, there remain major problems with the install.  The event log has many Kernel-PnP event id 239 errors.  The device manager shows all the USB hubs in panic as well as the CD Rom, Firewire, COM1 and floppy disk.  Installing/updating drivers for these components does not fix their panic status. I'm pretty sure the upgrade process was a total failure.

I then shrunk the partition and performed a clean install on a new partition.  The system is up and running, fully functional.  Now I need to migrate the files and applications... oh joy.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:02 PM
  • So now the system is well installed and run on your computer, is it? For migrating the files, I would like to share you the following article:

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Mr Michael the problem is not related to the operating system. Your input device is faulty just make it sure before you boot up the operating system the keyboard and mouse will be readable or else you cannot continue the operation. I suggest to replace first then put it back afterwards after you finish update the drivers specially the version of your bios..Check the manufacturers documentation..

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Thanks

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:32 AM
  • Make sure your keyboard is NOT plugged into a USB 3.0 port. 

As soon as I moved my keyboard from USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 port, the keyboard and mouse began working on the installer

• Proposed as answer by Ph3l0n Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:59 PM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:19 PM
  • My almost identical problem appears to have been fixed the same way (Moving the USB plug from a USB3 to a USB 2 port.)

Mine was a fresh 1st-time install on a new PC (SSD Desktop)

Sunday, July 07, 2013 9:23 PM