none
Unable to connect to DSL Router through ethernet cable

Question

• Well I have 2 xps computers (one a 410 desk top, the other a m1530 laptop) that can only connect to the AT&T 2WIRE through wireless but i would like to get them wired.  Both computers run Vista.  I have tried installing the AT&T software, different ethernet cables, gone through the Windows Vista standard helper, used the network diagnostic and none of the systems will connect.  The cables are properly installed but I do not see the light in the cable showing it is connected.  Not sure if the computers are just not reading that the wire is installed or what.  Everytime I try to diagnose the problem with the network connections it tells me to connect an ethernet cable.  Now my XPS gen 2 that runs on Windows XP has absolutly no problem connectng via ethernet cable, nor does my inspiron 9300 that runs Windows XP also.

Do I need to turn something on? Why are these two computers that run the Vista operating system not reading the connection? Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hey

The problem is probably not with the cables its the dell equipment.
    For some dell notebooks if you have the wireless turned on it wont let you use the ethernet adapter thats step one
    Step two is look at the DellSet properties.
    they have an option to disable the ethernet connection so I'd recommend you check that.
    This can also be located in Control panel and is probably called Broadcom ethernet adapter if you open it and make sure its not disabled.

I hope this is of some help to you

Regards

D    
    Monday, March 02, 2009 1:40 PM