none
Can't Pin Items on the Taskbar?

Question

• Hi,

I'm having trouble with one of our users who lost the ability to pin items (documents) in the Taskbar. She used to "pin" whatever she wanted. But suddenly she lost this great feature for some of the applications. So, we are still able to pin any program to the Taskbar. But let's say, i want to pin a Word document on my pinned Word 2003 application, it doesn't do anything. I doesn't give me any errors and it doesn't show any "Pinned" documents under the Word icon on the Taskbar!

But when i try for an Outlook message file (.msg), Outlook shows every frequent and pinned documents! I tried with a third party application (PDF-XCHange Viewer), and it's working fine! So, it's really annoying to troubleshoot! And the most important thing, I can't pin any documents on the "Explorer" icon! It doesn't show any frequent or pinned documents! This used to work!

So here what I already tried ;

- sfc /scannow (Did't work)
    - I did reset the "Start Menu" by clicking the "Use Default Settings" button  from "Customize Start Menu" folder!
    - I logged into the computer with a new user account that never logged on the computer (new profile) and everthing was OK.

After all these, I came to the conclusion where the user profile must be corrupted, but is there any better ideas? Can you guys help me out with this issue without deleting the existing user profile and starting from scratch?

Computer configuration and user environement;
    - Dell Optiplex 760
    - Windows 7 Professional
    - Office 2003
    - Computer is part of the domain!
    - No other problems!

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, this is caused by a corrupted user profile; I suggest you to perform a system restore:

1. Click the Start Button, type "system restore" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2. Click Choose a different restore point, and click Next.

3. Choose a time before the issue occurs and click Next.

4. Click Finish and click Yes to confirm the operation.

If this issue persists, you could try the following methods to check the result:

1.    Clear the Jump Lists and the Recent list:

1)   Right click the Start Button and select Properties.

2)   In the Privacy section remove the check marks from both items and click Apply. (don't click OK yet).

3)   Now, replace both check marks, select Apply and OK.

2.    Please go to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations, Check if the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms and a8c43ef36da523b1.automaticDestinations-ms is located, you can delete the files to check the how it works.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:14 AM

All replies

• Have you deleted the IsShortCut key in the registry to get rid of the overlay icon? This causes such issues.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, this is caused by a corrupted user profile; I suggest you to perform a system restore:

1. Click the Start Button, type "system restore" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2. Click Choose a different restore point, and click Next.

3. Choose a time before the issue occurs and click Next.

4. Click Finish and click Yes to confirm the operation.

If this issue persists, you could try the following methods to check the result:

1.    Clear the Jump Lists and the Recent list:

1)   Right click the Start Button and select Properties.

2)   In the Privacy section remove the check marks from both items and click Apply. (don't click OK yet).

3)   Now, replace both check marks, select Apply and OK.

2.    Please go to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations, Check if the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms and a8c43ef36da523b1.automaticDestinations-ms is located, you can delete the files to check the how it works.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Can you be more specific about the "IsShortCut" registry key? Because I made a search in the registry with "IsShortCut" and this key is more than one place... Can you let me know what key exactly i have to delete? I'll try that let you guys know what the result is...

Thank you

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Thank you for your ideas... I'm leaving the "System Restore" as last choice! It can be very annoying for the user a system restore. I did try the "Clear the Jump List and the Recent List" and still no chance! I think there is no way around that other than a "System restore" or "new user profile"...

Thanks again and if you have other ideas, i'll take whatever i can...

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:34 PM
  • If you find the registry keys, this means you haven't deleted the key. This is good. Try the steps from Alex.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Hi Kubilayelmas,

I just wanted to say Hi!

Did the information provided solve your query?

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further concerns or questions regarding the issue.

Alex Zhao

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:18 AM