none
Creating a Theme using Windows 7 Downloaded Theme Pictures

Question

• Is it possible to create a theme in Windows 7 using random pictures from themes I've downloaded off the Microsoft web site?
    I'm talking about themes like: Australia, Spain, Canada and others that I would like to take a few pictures off and make my own theme out of.
    I know you can do this with the Aero theme pictures but can it be done with the DL themes?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:56 AM

Answers

• If you want to just choose among the pictures of the pre-loaded themes (the themes from the different countries), you can by choosing 'Windows Wallpapers' in the desktop background selection.

But to combine images from several different themes, it takes a small amount of work (but it's easy).

First, open this folder:  C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes
    This is where Windows stores themes you've downloaded.  Each theme has its own folder.

Copy any images you want to your pictures folder (maybe make a a 'Wallpapers' folder).  Then you can combine them in your custom way.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Thee_Idol Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization\Desktop Background, check all pictures you would like to use (to let system change backgroud every xx minutes), change the window color, sound and ScreenSaver etc, them right click on the unsaved Theme you just created, choose Save Theme or Save for sharing to keep it as a package.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Hi Shaon.
    Thanks for replying to my question. I did as you said but only the present theme "Australia" that I'm using showed up with it's pictures.
    I want to pick and choose pictures from all the themes I've downloaded so far. Any way to do that?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:58 PM
  • You can pick and choose, checking upper left box in various pictures.

Add your own or combine various in \Windows\Web\Wallpaper. 
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:11 PM
  • If you want to just choose among the pictures of the pre-loaded themes (the themes from the different countries), you can by choosing 'Windows Wallpapers' in the desktop background selection.

But to combine images from several different themes, it takes a small amount of work (but it's easy).

First, open this folder:  C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes
    This is where Windows stores themes you've downloaded.  Each theme has its own folder.

Copy any images you want to your pictures folder (maybe make a a 'Wallpapers' folder).  Then you can combine them in your custom way.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Thee_Idol Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Shawn, thank you very much for answering my question. Your suggestions worked perfectly!
    I now have the perfect Windows 7 theme thanks to you!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:26 AM
  • No problem, thanks for voting :)
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:26 AM
  • I hope this post isn't too old and somebody can answer me. I am trying to use different pictures from different themes at once like the other user in this post. I am trying to figure out how to combine the themes or something. I tried to follow Shawn's instructions but when I try to go here C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes, I cannot find an appdata folder. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    Friday, January 28, 2011 1:35 PM
  • The AppData folder is hidden.  Here's how to jump directly to the themes folder without having to navigate each link in the chain:

1 - Highlight and copy this line:   %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

2 - Press Windows-R to open the Run box, then paste it in exactly as displayed

3 - When you hit enter, you'll see the contents of all your custom downloaded themes, which you can then combine by copying into your actual pictures library (or Wallpaper folder, etc).

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:24 PM