none
Can Vista drag and drop be disabled?

Question

• I'm running Vista on a laptop that I've had about a year, and I have to say I'm dragging and dropping myself CRAZY!  The slightest mis-guesture drops one folder into another and I'm always have to waste time fixing the mess.  Frankly,  I'm not sure if this computer is making things better or worse!

Q: Is there a way to disable drag and drop altogether in Vista?

Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:47 PM

Answers

• Hi

I don't think there is a way to disable the drag and drop function in Windows Explorer.

The only place on the system where this is an option is on the Start menu.

I believe it has always been one of the core functions for Windows

Hope this helps..

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi

I don't think there is a way to disable the drag and drop function in Windows Explorer.

The only place on the system where this is an option is on the Start menu.

I believe it has always been one of the core functions for Windows

Hope this helps..

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:26 PM
  • It can definitely be disabled, I will tell you that. However, I am not sure how.

Throughout my experience with Windows Vista, I have encountered the well known explorer crashes and other well-known unstable features; today I have lost the ability to drag-and-drop ANYTHING involving a windows component. Meaning I cannot drag-and-drop items in programs other than desktop icons and folders. Hopefully somebody can tell us how to find this setting and reverse it.

When I tried dragging an item from WinRAR, it actually addressed the problem: Drag and drop operation failed.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Skooley

You can disable anything if something gets corrupted. 

The Desktop is actually just another folder, so drag and drop probably has not been disabled completely in Windows Explorer.

But be sure to document whatever is found to fix this, it might lead us to a procedure?

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:58 AM
  • Gahhh, urk ung. Just had my first real experience of file management in Vista and that huge icon is Nasty.

I'd actually just like to disable the Rich element of Drag and Drop.

OK, the textual hints are useful for some but I have not used the left button to drag and drop in a long time.

I have noticed that server 2008 which uses a lot of the same layout as vista has a normal drag & drop.

Twitch, shudder. Sorry, I visualised that huge icon again.
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:49 PM