none
Windows 7 Defender won't open because a group policy issue and error code is 0x800704ec

Question

• Windows Defender in Windows 7 OS

Error Code 0x800704ec

Won't allow me to open it due to a group policy is apply by the administrator which I check don't exist

I try every kind of Antivirus programs and spyware, malware security removal program and I also try to fix the group policy which it don't exist.

I'm Roger

RogerC
    • Moved by Lisa M-Microsoft Support Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:51 PM (From:Windows Vista Security, Privacy, and User Accounts)
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Pleas post your question in windows 7 forum. This is vista forum.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the suggestions from the link below to check whether Windows Defender can be started.

Error message trying to start Windows defender

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:58 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:48 AM
  • i was having the same error code and it is really a simple fix! go into regedit as the admin and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

delete the key that says to disable windows defender (or something along that line). all i did was delete the key that was telling my computer to disable windows defender and then restarted my computer. i went into the control panel and started windows defender which then need to be updated and a full scan done. it is working perfect now!

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 4:34 PM