none
RE: W10 Creators Update will not install RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the W10 update but it fails. Do you know why? What info do I need to get to post

Sunday, June 11, 2017 10:18 PM

Answers

• HP fixed with using the information I posted in this forum. I'm marking this as the answer. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f81c598-2fbc-4b1f-acbc-2abc447210bc/cant-upgrade-to-windows-10-system-reserved-partition?forum=win10itprosetup  

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:17 PM
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:17 PM

All replies

• Hi ResidentX10,

We could refer to the following link to troubleshoot the issue.

“We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error installing Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/3086249/-we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows-10

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 12, 2017 1:27 AM
  • I think I have 15GB left...how much is needed?
    Monday, June 12, 2017 1:41 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

Have you checked the link as I posted before?

It is not the C:\ partition but the system reserved partition. For detailed information, please refer to the link as I posted before.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 12, 2017 7:55 AM
  • HP fixed with using the information I posted in this forum. I'm marking this as the answer. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f81c598-2fbc-4b1f-acbc-2abc447210bc/cant-upgrade-to-windows-10-system-reserved-partition?forum=win10itprosetup  

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:17 PM
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:17 PM
  • This problem can be fixed by

1) removing languages and fonts which are by default installed in the reserved partition

2) if you have a HP computer and have installed UEFI diagnostics they are installed in the reserved partition.  So removing the UEFI diagnostics will increase the free space withing the partition.

To view he amount of free space that the windows upgrade was looking for and found this information is available in the panther logs.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:40 PM
  • It's not that simple. HP had to do special commands to modify the partition. Also, I couldn't access the drive to view it's details. I use the languages and fonts so that wasn't a solution for me. In regards to UEFI, HP told me I would have to use USB in the future since it was removed it.  

I recorded the commands HP used and I'll post them later over the weekend or early Monday.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:58 PM
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:53 PM
  • In order to have sufficient free space within the reserved partition you removed the HP UEFI diagnostics and this allowed the failed upgrade to complete successfully.

How come you cannot download and install the HP UEFI diagnostics now?

What is the size of the reserved partition after the upgrade?

And what is the size of the free space within the reserved partition now?

Friday, September 22, 2017 1:19 AM
  • Can you read? The installation/updates uses that partition. All future windows updates will use it. You have to keep UEFI off that partition. I'm not replying to anymore of your comments, okay?

HP specifically said that in the future you would have install the UEFI diagnostics onto a USB and insert it into the USB drive on the computer.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, September 22, 2017 3:32 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 3:31 AM
  • There will be others that read this thread and will benefit from understand what can and cannot be done.

It is unclear why you were no able to create more free space in the reserved partition then perform the upgrade and then attempt to reinstall whatever had been removed.

For example if you removed HP UEFI diagnostics and then attempt to reinstall will there be an error message?  Will it just fail to install?  Will it install?

And for Microsoft if the language or fonts are removed and the upgrade is performed can the languages and fonts be reinstalled without problems.

And finally if the HP UEFI diagnostics cannot be reinstalled because the free space is still to small after the upgrade can the language or fonts be uninstalled to make room for the UEFI diagnostics?

The above may be useful for the next person that has failure to upgrade due to insufficient free space in the reserved partition.

Friday, September 22, 2017 4:42 AM
  • NOTHING WILL BE CLEAR TO YOU...TALKING TO YOU IS LIKE TALKING TO A BRICK WALL.

You comments are those of a 5 year old. Put 2 + 2 together...

1. Microsoft's aggressive updates for W10 will eat the space in the reserve partition.

2. If you try to reinstall the UEFI which you shouldn't, it will interfere with future updates and you be back doing this again later.

3. Remove UEFI and let Windows use the reserve partition and you will have nothing to worry about.

4. About UEFI Diagnostics, it's not about space...it about interfering with the Windows Installation process. It's one or the other they cannot exist together. The partition must be clean for Windows to use it.

The ultimate solution is to buy the largest drive you can and format the drive personally. My HP ZBook Studio had a 250GB drive. I'm waiting for the ZBook Studio G5 with Optane Drives now.

I ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ THE url TO THE CLOSING FORUM THAT ACTUALLY HAS THE DETAILS.

Friday, September 22, 2017 5:00 AM