none
No Audio Output Device Is Installed Vista problem

Question

• Hi, I apologise is this isn't the right place to be posting this, but I wasn't really sure what forum to put this in. Anyway...

I have a somewhat unusual problem which I've had for about a year now, on and off. I keep getting the 'No Audio Output Device is Installed' problem with my computer accompanied by no sound of course, but the strange thing is that sometimes the audio works, and other times it doesn't. Sometimes when I switch on the PC, the audio is there and sometimes it's not.

For about 8 months now the problem seemed to have gone away by itself; it would occasionally happen, but not often. But for the past week, more often than not the sound just won't work. Sometimes restarting the computer gets it back, but I usually have to restart it about 3 times to get it working and I just can't be bothered to do that.

I've tried some of the solutions that were on google, but the thing is, I apparently don't have any audio driver (it says 'no audio devices are installed' in sound and the sound doesn't show at all in device manager) at all when this problem happens so I can't just enable the driver because it's been disabled for some reason (one of the solutions I found on google) and downloading a realtek audio driver didn't help either.

I am a computer novice so I wouldn't know what to do if I have to do anything physically to the computer, but if there is any kind of update I can do to fix this problem, I'd be grateful. This problem started I believe when I switched the language settings from English (United Kingdom) to English (United States), but changing it back to UK English didn't do anything (keep in mind this was about a year ago now). I am not the only one who uses this computer though so God knows what other things my family may have done, lol.

The computer is a Windows Vista 32-Bit Desktop Intel Core 2 Quad Q660 btw, if any more detail on the computer is needed, I'll post it.

Thanks.

• Edited by UralOwl Friday, January 13, 2012 10:00 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may check if the connection of your audio card properly. Also, is there any audio output device connect?

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:43 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may check if the connection of your audio card properly. Also, is there any audio output device connect?

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:43 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Hello,

I've had the same problem with my computer for about 6 months. I have an Hp Pavilion 9815nr Entertainment....You know I found that no matter how many of the fixes I read, including on the HP site, it didn't help me.  But, alas something happened that made me realize that the problem lies with a conflict with Vista and Adobe Flash Player.  When my flash player would crash, I'd have sound.  So I uninstalled all the adobe products, restarted my computer and then reinstalled.  This worked for the last few months until today, so I decided to try the same thing.  But unfortunately it doesn't like the adobe 11 series and now no matter what I do it won't work again.  I even tried to set to a previous restore point and this failed also.  I wish I could tell you how to fix this problem for good, but I still haven't found one myself.  If you ever find something that works, please let me know.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:40 AM
  • I am going through the same problem I cant fix it. I tried to download drivers from the internet it dint do nothing. I tried system restore nothing works if you found a solution message me back
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:16 AM
  • oh and plz someone write a message on the board still no audio output device
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:20 AM