none
Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 1909 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have configured a task sequence for upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 1909. it has successfully completed the upgrade but it was upgraded to the Windows 10 1507. here I have attached a selected image during the creation of task sequence. Is anyone would know reason for upgrade to older version even I have used latest edition.

appreciate if any one can help on this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Dilan

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Dilan,

Based on the capture, the OS build version is for Windows 10 1903. Windows 10 1909 has 10.0.18363.X as a build version, more details about different Win10 releases:

Windows 10 release information

I suggest to you to download the Windows 10 1909 from the MVLS then you can follow the below guide:

Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center

Using SCCM Upgrade Windows 7 To Windows 10 1909

Regards,

Youssef Saad

______

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

• Edited by SAAD Youssef Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:14 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SAAD Youssef Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:14 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:21 AM
  • Hi Dilan,

1. May we know what version of Configuration Manager (current branch) you are using? If you are using earlier version, please upgrade to Configuration Manager (current branch) version 1906/1910 to support Windows 10 1909. For more detailed information, please refer to:
    SCCM WINDOWS 7 TO WINDOWS 10 1909 UPGRADE GUIDE
    Support for Windows 10 in Configuration Manager

2. As SAAD mentioned, you are using Windows 10 1903 OS image. It's recommended to download the Windows 10 1909 from the MVLS.

3. It's also recommended to review the smsts.log on the client to see if there is any further information about this issue. Please refer to:  SCCM: How to copy SMSTS.log when a Task Sequence fails

Hope my answer could help you. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:35 AM
  • Thank you very much. I will confirm the Windows 10 version and then go through the task sequence log. when I have finished, I will share the result with again.

Thanks,

Dilan

Sunday, January 26, 2020 4:16 AM
  • Great Dilan, waiting for the result and do not hesitate if you need another help.

Regards,
    Youssef

Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to hearing from you. Hope everything goes well.

Best regards,
    Simon

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 2:15 PM
  • Hi All,

I had deployed same package for another test PC and it got upgrade to the Windows 10 1909 successfully. I didn't do any changes to the previous package before I have deployed to the new PC. So I hope, earlier one didn't meet the compatibility to upgrade Windows 10 1909. Therefore It has upgraded to the Windows 10 1507.

I was wondering, Whether that Windows 10 installation package is that much intelligence enough :). Anyway I am planning to deploy another set of PCs.

Thanks,

Dilan

Friday, February 14, 2020 6:00 AM
  • Hi Dilan,

To troubleshoot, you can check the SMSTS.log file for more details about the execution of the In-Place Upgrade Task Sequence. If you have any third-party antivirus, It's recommended to uninstall it before launching the In-Place Upgrade.

Let's test on another PC's and let us know for the result.

Regards,

Youssef Saad | Blog LinkedIn | Twitter

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Friday, February 14, 2020 7:14 AM