none
Win 8.1 domain logon issue

Question

• Hi,

we're having an issue that is affecting logons in windows 8.1 only. It seems that after the user accounts password is changed in any way the user can no longer logon to any windows 8.1 machine with a pre-existing profile, logon halts at the welcome screen with the spinning dots. There are no logon errors as such it simply does not progress and I have left it for a significant amount of time, also there are no errors in the DC event logs and the logon events are appearing.

As said the issue is only affecting 8.1 it does not affect win 8.0 unpatched or our win 7 devices.

All DC's run server 2008 r2 fully patched FFL/DFL are set to R2.

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:27 AM

All replies

• 1. Without any material evidence from Event log it is hard to guess what happened.

2. This is new or older issue? Have you changed GPO settings?

Regards

Milos

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:41 AM
  • Hi there,

We are having the exact same problem on our domain.

We first noticed this issue when we upgraded our workstations to windows 8. I was hoping that upgrading to windows 8.1 would fix the issue but sadly it doesn't. This is causing us major hassle on our domain.

It only affects people with local profiles... our students use mandatory profiles and they are not affected.

Our DCs are 2012 R2. 

We use the tool delprof2 to remotely remove user profiles however this is a hassle as the user might have logged into 10 different workstations which we have to remove them all.

I have trawled google but cannot find any information on this. At our yearly microsoft meeting i asked our regional guy and he couldn't believe the issue. He had never heard anything like this before.

From the eventvwr, the only thing i can see is that it is not finishing the load of the user profile. Under user profile service events it shows this:
    Registry file C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrClass.dat is loaded at HKU\S-1-5-21-198620398-3206316445-2472742097-1144_Classes.
    But then it does not show: Finished processing user logon notification on session 1.
    Not other events are logged.

We hadn't changed any GPOs before the upgrade to windows 8.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Bump! 
    Still being badly affected by this issue if anyone has any ideas :(
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:46 AM