none
Windows 7 ... updates stuck at Checking for Updates

Question

• I have a Windows 7 Enterprise x64 virtual machine that I use as a template in my vSphere environment that I keep up to date with all Windows updates. This VM only contains Windows 7 in its disk. Last time I was able to fully patch this machine was back in May 2016; a few nights ago I tried to update Windows 7 updates and it's stuck at Checking for updates... (I let it sat there for 12 hours)

I read several blogs on resetting Windows Updates services (stopping BITS and Windows Services then deleting all files in Windows\SoftwareDistribution) and none of them seem to work. I also ran a Windows Update troubleshooting tool that is supposed to Fix problems with Windows Updates - didn't work either as it tries to get updates from the internet.

Next, I decided to create a brand new Windows 7 machine, and tried to run Windows Updates...nothing, still gets hung up at Checking for updates...

Anyone has any ideas on how to fix Windows Updates so I can get updates? It seems that something changed recently that broke it. Windows 10 patching seems to work just fine as I've had no issues with my Windows 10 machines.

Thanks!

Friday, August 05, 2016 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, we could try reset Windows Update components. Please check in the link below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

After that we could try update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Also I suggest you can check your network and firewall. You would better close the Windows Firewall and other anti-virus software because they are likely to block the updates.

If necessary, you can try to start the Windows in clean boot mode so that the conflicting software will not block it.

The time which Windows Update takes is determined the number of updates you need to install and the network bandwidth and the performance of PC.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sorry, but I had already done this and sadly these suggestions have not worked. I found your suggestions in my previous research; I just didn't want to list all the things that I tried in my initial post.

Since I wasted almost 3 days of research and trying to fix this; I ended up creating a brand new Windows 7 template VM.

What really frustrates me about MS is that I know something changed in the update process that brand new Windows 7 installations will fail if the following KBs are not applied first:

KB3102810
    KB3135445
    KB3138612

Those KBs will allow you to properly patch a brand new Windows 7 installation.

• Marked as answer by GonzEd Tuesday, August 09, 2016 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, August 09, 2016 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, we could try reset Windows Update components. Please check in the link below

Also I suggest you can check your network and firewall. You would better close the Windows Firewall and other anti-virus software because they are likely to block the updates.

If necessary, you can try to start the Windows in clean boot mode so that the conflicting software will not block it.

The time which Windows Update takes is determined the number of updates you need to install and the network bandwidth and the performance of PC.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 08, 2016 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

We haven't heard from you in a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Tao

Sorry, but I had already done this and sadly these suggestions have not worked. I found your suggestions in my previous research; I just didn't want to list all the things that I tried in my initial post.

Since I wasted almost 3 days of research and trying to fix this; I ended up creating a brand new Windows 7 template VM.

What really frustrates me about MS is that I know something changed in the update process that brand new Windows 7 installations will fail if the following KBs are not applied first:

KB3102810
    KB3135445
    KB3138612

Those KBs will allow you to properly patch a brand new Windows 7 installation.

• Marked as answer by GonzEd Tuesday, August 09, 2016 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, August 09, 2016 2:35 PM
  • I applied those 3 updates.. The first one, 2810 said it wasn't applicable.  I then also ran the latest Windows Update Agent update.. all is right in the world now.  Thank you!!!
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:58 PM
  • This worked for me too. Thanks a lot! :)
    Sunday, November 27, 2016 3:10 AM
  • This worked for me on one computer, but then on another one I had to turn the Windows Update service off first.  Then each of the three installed fine and the rest of the updates too.  The question is "what did you change Microsoft.  And why won't spend any developer time to correct this?"  ...  Another good reason to use Linux instead!
    Thursday, December 08, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Thank you very much for your valuable research which have solved my frustration.

I have followed to update these KB’s in these sequence order:

first:       KB3102810

second:  KB3138612

third:      KB3135445

and I have got back the Windows Update for my Win_7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 tonight.

Thanking you once again.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:53 PM