none
Unable to connect to microsoft.com sites RRS feed

• Question

• hi there,

after upgrading from windows 8 pro to W8.1 pro I am unable to connect to Microsoft.com and some related Microsoft sites such as onedrive etc. All browsers (explorer, Mozilla, chrome) are unable to connect.

What I have already tried:

1) I have changed my dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

2) net stop dnscashe

3) ipconfig /flushdns      

4) I used variable MTU configurations

5) I am not using a 3rd party firewall or antivirus. thus nothing is blocked.

any ideas?

thanks

• Edited by Mike_Sfd Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:47 AM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This affects only some websites?
    Have you installed (or re-installed) the latest driver for your network hardware?

There is a troubleshooting tutorial here that may help.

I also found this thread where many people have had similar issues (you may have seen this one already). In some cases, the router was the issue. Either enabling IPv6 or updating the firmware on the router helped some people.

Hope this helps,

David
    Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro
    The Springboard Series on TechNet

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This affects only some websites?
    Have you installed (or re-installed) the latest driver for your network hardware?

There is a troubleshooting tutorial here that may help.

I also found this thread where many people have had similar issues (you may have seen this one already). In some cases, the router was the issue. Either enabling IPv6 or updating the firmware on the router helped some people.

Hope this helps,

David
    Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro
    The Springboard Series on TechNet

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:30 PM
  • unable to connect to Microsoft.com and some related Microsoft sites such as onedrive etc. All browsers (explorer, Mozilla, chrome) are unable to connect.

That's HTTP (and HTTPS and maybe FTP).  What about other protocols?  E.g. what does a  tracert  show?   Note that many Microsoft sites block ICMP near the destination so do not expect a complete round-trip response.  Still tracert could show you if there is a significant blockage somewhere that you hadn't expected.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:28 PM