none
Windows Vista freezes on crcdisk.sys when trying to boot

Question

• I have had a windows vista computer since it came out and have had some driver issues with some devices, but i have worked most of them out and am still waiting for some more drivers to be released.  I have had no problem with the actual system until just the other day.  I turned my computer off 3 days ago, and it turned off normally without any problems.  The next time i turned it on it goes to a screen wanting to run a startup repair program or run windows normally.  I run to startup repair program, and it finds nothing wrong.  It says to remove any camera devices or media devices recently installed and try to reboot.  I removed all usb devices except for mouse and keyboard and still nothing.  When i try to run safe mode, it stops on a file named CRCDISK.SYS.  I have looked at other posts and found no help with why it is freezing on this file.  Please help me.  I don't want to start over from factory settings even though thats what the guy at HP told me i needed to do.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Monday, May 07, 2007 6:33 PM

All replies

• Branden

I am suffering from a similar issue. My machine freezes randomly, and reboots. When booting in safe mode I get to crcdisk.sys and the system hangs. This too is an HP machine. I will contact their tech support today but was wondering if you have any updates on your experience.

Thanks.

Windows Vista Ultimate; HP Pavilion Media Center m8010y TV PC

Sunday, July 15, 2007 8:05 PM
  • I don't know if this will help to aisolate the problem.

I was having drivers issues too, and windows vista requested to install an update. I rebooted after the update and voila, the system is effectively halted every time i reach crcdisk.sys.

Hopefully someone will be able to help us.

Vampmaster

Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Do you have KB 946149 hotfix installed?   If so, remove it.  This is causing a lot of issues for some folks.
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  

I had the same problem, the only way to boot was in safe mode.it was caused by a lost network connection. After restoring the connection, the problem was solved.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 5:57 PM
  • A quick update on this ... I had a lot of other instability issues with my system shortly after I made my post to this thread. I got a lot of errors when running check-disk. Fixing those gave me back some stability for a short time. Then the hard drive failed. I suspect that the hard drive was on its way out when I experienced this issue and probably accounts for my original experience with this error.

I recommend scheduling a full check-disk on your system and rebooting if you are experiencing this problem. Hopefully you will not encounter the same dying hard drive situation that I did. However, if you do you will know it is time to make a hard drive back-up ASAP!

Now I have a new hard-drive and a reinstalled system everything appears to be functioning OK.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:08 PM
  • I have the same problem installed SP1 and goes into cyclic reboots. don't know what to do. I installed the KB articles mentioned above without any problems couple months ago.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Have you found any resolution for this.

I just tried to update my laptop to SP1 (Thinkpad T61p) and I got the crcdisk.sys hang. I had to restore. I am not sure what the issue is but I would like to update to Vista SP1 for some of the improvment in IE.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:24 AM
  • Me too or two, three or twenty. How many others there are experiencing this driver issue. It's just frustrating.

It means, i'm getting the hang at safemode with crcdisk.sys. I cant get the darn thing to boot. Tried installing SP1 Vista.

Googling this issue is another act in frustration. Everyone seems to have different solutions. Some don't have a clue (they say "reformat your drive and reinstall" - sigh).

Specs:

Vista Ultimate

Dell Inspiron E1505

2GB RAM

80 GB hard drive partitioned for backups

5'7"

155 Lbs

Blue eyes

happily unmarried

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:54 PM
  •  

Nope, same problem.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:31 AM
  • I have a brand new Sony Vaio laptop running Vista. It ran for 28 days and now freezes when it boots up. In safe mode it freezes when it gets is loading the crcdisk.sys driver. I cannot in any way shape or form get the laptop past this. Worse still, it appears that the laptop did not come with any CD's - so I can't boot off the CD even. Any ideas please?
    jason
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Well it looks like a harddrive issue. remove it from laptop slave on another stable machine and run a hdd scan ( auto fix system errors and fix clusters ). solves it.
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Same issue, hangs on crcdisk.sys , not sure what caused it initially. Tried booting to safe mode, but it didn't work. Tried hitting escape and doing the recovery, but esc->recovery mode just takes me to the normal bootloader, where I can choose safe mode, etc... but none work. Tried booting to retail xp install cd (don't have recovery cd's), xp install crashed out. Tried removing laptop hard drive (just in case) and installing xp to external (known good hdd), install crashed out in the same place. Anyone got another idea before I just put in a service ticket?
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:47 AM
  • I had the same issue.  After trying everything under the sun, I saw another post that suggest removing a fan and harddrive to test if it was related to a lack of sufficient power.  When I detached the drive and fan from the power cables, my system booted up correctly.   I updated my power supply since I just installed a high end video card.  hope this helps.
    Monday, June 01, 2009 4:48 AM
  • I had this problem myself - computer freezing either at the CRCDISK.SYS stage during safe mode boot or on the Microsoft Corporation progress bar on normal boot. I had assumed it was a driver issue as I had just installed a driver. Couldn't boot in safe mode or from the original Vista (Full) install disk. Then I noticed my CPU temperature was around 70C. Turned out that a SATA cable was jamming my CPU fan! Oops. Freed that up, the fan spun and the problem was gone instantly.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Hi, I have exactly the same problem with HP NC6120. Did u solve this issue. your kind reply would be appreciated, thanks.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:47 PM
  • how can i check my CPU temperature.help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Not all systems will have this facility. Try looking in your bios (ie go to Set Up during boot). There may be a menu in there for diagnostics - fan speed. temperature etc.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:01 PM
  • I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. MY SCREEN IS BLACK, AND ALL I CAN DO IS BOOT TO THE "F" KEYS...HAVE TESTED EVERY THING I CAN THINK OF...I DID ALL THE TEST AVAILABLE, AND EVERY ONE COMES UP SUCCESFUL. I CAN NOT BELIEVE MICROSOFT HAS NOT COME UP WITH A CORRECTING DOWNLOAD! I HAVE LOOKED AT ALL THESE POSTS AND CAN'T FIND AN ANSWERI HAVE A DELL INSPERION LAPTOP, WITH WINDOWS VISTA. SOMEONE OUT THERE PLEASE HELP. THANKS  
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:31 AM
  • same issue I'm no techno geek, but I know enough to be dangerous and have messed up / fixed my fair share of self built systems. I've done everything I can think of short of switching operating systems all together. I started getting the wonderful blue screen of death after I updated to sp2 on vista ultimate safe mode is giving me up to crcdisk.sys which means that particular system file is loaded and the one after that (whatever one it is) is the one hanging up the system. Now here's the fun part being the geek I am I have vista on my sata drive. I have another drive I keep around for just these types of situations which is an IDE drive with XP on it... hmmm had that left over after the switch to vista. Both drives blue screened so I pulled out everything down to bare bones and just left 1 gig ram and a harddrive and I still get blue screen on both harddrives. The vista CD wouldn't boot so I even tried swapping out a cd rom drive  (just one sitting around from a previous computer). My first though was mother board so I swapped that with same result, second thought was power supply so I swapped that with similar result. Now the BIOS recognizes the fact (on either mother board) that there is a sata, or ide harddrive hooked up. But when I run the CD vista won't recognize either drive is even installed even though it will boot off of that drive until the blue screen (after initial windows splash screen). Now according to the people that I've talked to they say that it is an issue with vista recognizing certain hardware configurations ranging all the way from sata drives, to usb keyboards, to the frequency on your ram, the amount of ram in your computer (4gigs is the magic number on that) to having the wrong color LED on your power light. I have been told that the only way to truly fix it is to upgrade to windows 7, which my thought on that is why drop another 300 dollars on an operating system if micorsoft can't even get their current ones to work. None the less I digress I now have a 2 year old machine with a brand new motherboard and power supply holding down some worthless papers because I have nothing better to do with it. If anyone has a real fix for this it would be appreciated...
    I'm running (and this is the same setup I've been running for two years with vista ultimate other then the new mother board which is the model up from my previous and a new power supply which is 500 watt instead of my previous 400 watt)

AMD athalon x2 64
    Gygabyte motherboard
    2gigs 800mhz DDR2 ram
    Seagate 500gig harddrive
    Nvidia graphics with 512m onboard memory

Monday, December 07, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Every computer that I have run into that has had this issue has been fixed by replacing the hard drive.  I find it hard to believe that the hard drive is really bad since it is always the same file that the computers freeze on and based on my troubeshooting whic I will describe below so I am keeping the hard drives removed from the computers in case I can figure out what the real issue is.

I have found that reformatting the hard drive and re-installing the OS fixes the issue for a short time but it seems to continue happening until the hard drive is actually replaced.  I have done some troubleshooting and found that installing Linux on these drives works perfectly fine, after re-installing Windows several times and having the problem re-occur I installed Linux on the same drive and have not had any issues for quite some time.  I am currently testing to see if Windows XP and Windows 7 have problems using these drives to narrow it down to a Vista problem or Windows problem in general.

I can only assume that the crcdisk.sys file is being corrupted somehow causing Windows to freeze.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 7:07 PM
  • I called the computer manufacture and they are replacing the hdd. They said it was a bad sector
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Hi,
    I just wanted to know if you have managed to carry out the test to see if this is a general Windows problem or just pinned down to Vista?
    Thanks...
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:23 PM
  • I had this happem too.  I just replaced drive and started re-install of Vist off the CD - SAME THING.  I have a brand new good drive.  What is the deal here ?--

--- UPDATE: actually, it turns out when re-installing VISTA, i needed tp specify special Dell SATA driver.  Onice I did this, re-isntall of vista worked ok.
    • Proposed as answer by ZInkDude Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:43 PM
  • how to remove that thing if u cannot startup your windows?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Jasson, I would contact whoever you purcahsed your computer from and explain that you purchased your computer recently, and request that they take care of it.  I understand that it's been a month since your post, however they might still be willing to work with you to make you happy.  If not then contact Sony.  Most computers have a standard 1 year warenty on the hardware.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:44 PM
  • THat is correct.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Unfortunetly, in my experience the only way to correct the problem is to re-install the OS.  If you can I would strongly suggest doing a "clean" install, meaning wriping the HD clean, formating it, and then installing the OS.

• Proposed as answer by Scott SC Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:50 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:50 PM
  • hello everyone,as my research about having a blue screen in my computer,some cause of this kind of problems are: 1.pressing the shutdown button forcely, 2.hardware/software changes,SATA Controller. 3.Over used memory of RAM and CPU. 4.Overcloack CPU and set wrong RAM Frequency or AGP aperture size 5. Incompatible software and drivers with vista.that's all the problem i notice why we have this kind of pandemic BSoD event.now the one thing i didor the solution i make to overcome this are: 1.go to bios and set the video CPU and RAM the next values.set every options that refer to your CPU to AUTO or DEFAULT or NORMAL,the same thing for RAM.if this kind of solution does'nt work,i recommend installing the Os but don't do a reformat on it,it will lose all the your hard work and important files,when you have a vista installation disc,restart your pc and then boot it to cd/dvd then go to installation,don't worry about your files after you install a new Os you can see your files in C:program files\windows.old,you can still recover it,this was happen to my 4 days ago and i don't have any resources or tool to fix my computer so that was the thing i did,i am not an IT expert or a CompTech but i just patiently research this kind of problem because i don't like to pay those experts as what they say but the just tell you to do this/that but nothing happen,after 4 days my computer working like new and i did all the updates for windows update,any comments,questions,suggestions just email me eldinheng@yahoo.com,hope this one guys can help solve your problem and im willing to reply.thanks a lot and have a good day to each and everyone of you
    Monday, March 01, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Idon't know why , but it is the solution I fix for my friend's laptop with the same issue , unplug the power cord can solve the problem when Windows Startup and Shutdown.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Ok its probably a bit late for you Branden but my recent experience with Vista cdcdisk.sys boot failure might just help others. The computer got stuck and then re-booted in an endless loop. None of the recovery or safe modes helped although with safe mode I could at least see where things were going wrong.

My girlfriends computer is a Medion laptop with the german edition of Vista that came with just a hidden recovery partition and not a complete Vista Install disk. She wasn't pleased at the thought of loosing all her photographs but fortunately for her the second partition wouldn't boot either!

Time for plan B. Ask Google. Lots of people seem to have this problem but no simple answers.

I stopped at neosmart.net to collect the torrent file for their recovery disk.  http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

They have a cut down recovery Vista disk ISO file which you can burn to a CD. Its helped me in the past to get out of Vista troubles when I haven't had a full install disk. Obviously I took the 32 bit version to match my 32 bit version of windows. It took about 10 minutes to download the full file using uTorrent. Its a 123MB download. If you don't have a full Vista install disk and don't want to “risk” using P2P downloads you can always pay a small fee for a direct download. There are links from their site. Personally I'm happy with the torrent I collected from their site and the file it pulls from the net.

Ordinarily I'd have burned the file to a blank CD but as I didn't have a CD blank or a CD burner available (just my little netbook with no burner) I decided to make a bootable USB stick. Any USB stick of 256MB should be fine. Something I've done several times and always forgotten what I did by the time I needed to do it again. More Google! In the end I downloaded “Magic ISO Burner” from www.magiciso.com . Unregistered it will burn up to a 300MB file and I only needed a 123MB file on my stick.

I formatted a handy 1Gb stick in NTFS (Not FAT) using Windows Explorer which I named “Vista Recovery CD”.

I then installed and ran Magic ISO. Using File, Open, I surfed to the “Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso” file I had downloaded. You will see boot and sources directories and bootmgr displayed in MagicISO.

BE VERY CAREFUL when you select where you want to burn these files. (Don't select your C drive by mistake!).

In the lower left hand pane of the program select the “Vista Recovery CD”. The bottom right hand pane should be blank as you have just formatted the USB stick which is now empty.

I couldn't find the button to do the burning to the stick so in the end I simply selected the 3 items in the top right hand pane, “boot, sources and bootmgr” and dragged them into the bottom right hand pane. The program took over and 30 seconds later I had a working Vista Recovery boot stick!

I then adjusted the laptop BIOS settings to allow the laptop to boot from my USB stick and rebooted. Bingo! So far so good. After about 30 seconds I came to a screen asking me to confirm the keyboard/language and region settings. I set the keyboard to German so that the / and \ keys would work correctly. Then I pressed “next”.

Up came “Windows Vista, Install now”. Remember this cut down disk does not contain the all the files to re reinstall Vista but it does contain a further option “Repair your computer” which is really what I wanted, so I took that. I thought that the program would simply fix all my problems for me, however on this occasion it didn't.

After a few minutes of searching the disk the program was able to show me both partitions on the hard drive but not able to find a valid install of Windows Vista. Worse still it then asked me to install drivers for the hard drive controller! I haven't a clue what chipset the laptop uses and neither did Google! I tried to surf to the existing C:\windows installation to see if I could use the ones on the hard drive but no luck. About now I could hear “There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza” playing away in my head. After lots of messing about and several reboots to get back to the same screen again I tried pressing the “Next” key. This brought me to “System Recovery Options”. As I couldn't see the C drive most of the options were useless to me. However it did offer me a “Command Prompt”. Mmm! I took that option and got a DOS box up. I was dropped into X:\sources . (First I tried to surf to the C drive but it was not visible. Fat lot of good I thought.) Then I went to the X drive root and used “dir” to check the contents. There was a Windows directory with a system32 subdirectory and hiding inside that chkdisk.exe. Happiness broke out!

For those who are not so DOS literate just follow this.

You should be seeing X:\Sources>

Dont type the “ “ symbols!

Type “cd..” into the DOS box then hit the Enter key You should get X:\ > displayed.

Type “cd windows\system32” then hit enter.

Type “chkdsk /r /f”. This checks your hard drive for errors and fixes them if it can. This took the best part of an hour to chug through the entire hard drive looking for errors and it found several.

I then removed my recovery stick and rebooted, then reset BIOS to boot from the hard drive. The computer did another scan of the hard drive all by itself without any prompting from me. This took another 10-15 minutes. It then proceeded to boot into Vista as if nothing had happened! I don't know what caused the problem. It might be that the hard drive is beginning to fail. Its been a week now and all seems well still. I will check out the disk this weekend to make sure its still OK and possibly even set up the external back up hard drive I bought her for Christmas too!

It may be that after you have done the chkdisk scan and rebooted it still wont boot successfully in which case I would reboot using the Vista Recovery Stick again, goto the DOS prompt and repeat all the steps except for the last one and type “sfc /scannow” instead. This should check your system files and replace them if necessary. Fortunately I didn't need this last bit.

Good Luck

Dominic Oskis

Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:11 PM
  • First of all, I'm sorry for my bad english structure. 

Windows Vista 32 Home Premium

HP Pavillion dv64333cl

Honestly, I'm not a technician, but I'd like to share my experience. I have been using Vista for almost 3 years until I stuck to this crcdisk.sys problem for 3 days. (And I found that this is already an old issue.)  As having the recovery partition (or u can get recovery disc by download it), I have the system to repair its startup problem, but it failed to fix the problem. I only have an empty restore point, because I clean it a day before.. oh my.. :( Thank god I already have a back up all of my files. 

By googling, I found 4 main things cause this problem : 

1. Drivers (SATA, PCMCIA)

2. Antivirus (?)

3. Malware

4. Corrupted file

Well, I check all of them and no problem at all. I found no virus, no malware, no corrupted file, no device problem. I can't change SATA to IDE since I don't see any other option beside "Enabled / Disabled". Eventhough i disabled the SATA, the problem still occured. 

I've done everything, except delete these things. 

\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
    \windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
    \windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

Why? Honestly, I don't want to delete anything right now. Before, I'd like to delete sptd.sys but I can't find it or it could never been there in my system. No matter how hard I try to make the system fixed, it will be end with failure and headache. Using chkdsk /r for a few times, just to see it stuck at the same problem : crcsys.disk

Finally, the problem is fixed. What a great day! How come? I don't know exactly. But, here are what I did. 

As I can't go to safe mode (it always hang at crcdisk.sys), I use recovery partition to go inside repair option and go to command prompt and have system to check the problem by typing : c:/ chkdsk /r (notice the c prompt, not other prompts).  

System should find the corrupted file and fix em all (for a while). After finish it, reboot and go to safe mode. It will hang at crcdisk.sys, so be it. After 1-1,5 hours, it will reboot itself and then display logon screen. It seems like system has succeeded fixing the problem. Well.. yes and no. If you reboot again, you will stuck at the same problem. That's what we try to avoid.

Next, I download reimage repair. You can download it for free anywhere or u can try this link: http://download.cnet.com/Reimage-Repair/3000-18512_4-10907808.html 

This tools is very good, but I have to pay for which is I don't have time to do it right now. Install it and start to scan. (Don't forget to let ur connection on and ur best anti virus active). Did I find what cause crcdisk.sys problem? Yes. It's malware. Many malwares in my system. Ouch!! I've used antivirus and malwarebytes to sweep them, but failed to find em. And with a little 'help' from Reimage repair, my AV-software found almost all of them. (Ah ya.. don't bother to repair with Reimage Repair, because it's only for premium users.)

There's one malware that can't be deleted automatically. So I try to delete it manually, but failed. I'd like to go to safe mode and kill it manually, but I'm worry that my vista will not boot before I reach it. So I prepare myself with Hiren BootCD 14 (http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/), just in case I can't get into safe mode. Download and burn it in a CD/DVD. (Note : my AV detected trojan in Hiren BootCD 14, but I ignore it). After that, I reboot my vista. And as predicted, I can't get into safe mode. So, I reboot again and choose to boot from CD/DVD. 

Hiren BootCD has so many options. I choose mini XP. Then, I browsed to the malware location, and kick it a*s for good.  If this still can't bring any changing, then I don't know what else to do. 

Reboot my computer, and ... VOILA! My logon screen appeared after 1 minute.  

Hope this will help others.

Sunday, October 09, 2011 3:59 AM